What do you think of my new idea?

Options
Hi everyone. I have been on and off "diets" for the past 21 years when my son was born. Never really had a weight problem before that. Now, I'm probably 50 pounds overweight and the biggest I've ever been. I have this new idea that I'm wondeirng what you think about it...not that you will change my mind but want to know what you think.

I have a hard time getting all of my fruits and veggie servings in every day. My big idea is to bring nothing BUT fruits and veggies to work. I can eat all day at my desk if I want (hence...the weight gain?) so I graze on them all day, mostly carrots, sugar snap peas, a pear today, apples, a grapefruit one day. Healthy food. So, do you all think this will help or hinder my weigh loss? I get a good breakfast before work (I loooove oatmeal for breakfast) and a healthy dinner and get all my suggested calories according to MFP, seldom go over.

I promised my doctor I'd lose 20 pounds before I see her again in April so I am hoping I am at least partway there before then. What do you think of my grand idea?

Replies

• 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go for it. The main thing is to keep to your calorie goals, and get needed nutriton. It doesn't matter when you get what.

It wouldn't work for me because I need protein throughout the day or I don't have energy. I am also more likely to visit the snack machine if I don't get enough protein, fats and carbs mid-day.

On another note, 20 pounds by April is probably unrealistic. About a pound a week is reasonable so you can be partway by then.
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well, first off we don't have a snack machine thank goodness or I'd be there all the time. I could actually leave work and go to the store or McDonalds but I am too lazy to leave. Twenty pounds does seem like a lot and if I had actually started watching what I eat when I saw her last..... it wouldn't have been so unrealistic. I was on track to lose it but I really went wild over the Holidays but now seem to be doing good again. Good grief, why do I do that? Thanks for your advice and keep up the good work.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Snacking on those items is far better then a Snickers or KitKat... but remember they do still have calories. If you log using MFP what you snack on, you'll see where you are by dinner time to log accordingly.
    Or, map out your day in advance and measure your snacks into ziplock bags.
    Remember to drink alot of water which really helps!
    Also, you can lose about 2 lbs a week if you are sensible with your food choices and definately get at least a 1/2 of exercise in every day.. at least 1/2. Walk, jog, yoga, something.
    I'd say with truthful logging and 1/2 or more of exercise per day, you can and will lose at least 16 pounds by the end of March. It can be done. Just avoid any diet pills, powders, shakes, etc.. avoid fads.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    Snacking on fruits/veggies is a great idea!
    I'd starve though, because I need some carbs and some protein. If I don't bring a full-on meal for lunch, I have lots of varied snacks - cheese stick, hard-boiled egg, almond or pecan nut thins with a little cheese, apple w/ pb, etc. Check out eatingwell.com's idea of what a 1500 calories/day looks like: http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/5_day_1500_calorie_diet_meal_plan_for_weeknights
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am in somewhat the same boat...I work at a desk most of the day and am a grazer. I started by buying a 1/2 gallon pitcher (64 oz = 8 galsses of water)..I fill that every morning and make sure at least 1/2 is gone by lunch & the other 1/2 by 5....I started walking my treadmill in the morning before getting me and the kids ready for work/school so most of the time I don't have time to eat breakfast before work (I used to eat @ home, then again at work)...so now I eat a packet of instant oatmeal @ work around 8:30 or 9am...if I am starving I will have a piece of fruit or a pre-packaged serving of veggies (usually done at home on sundays). I try to have a good lunch and then I have another fruit and/or veggie for a late afternoon snack (3:30-4 ish) because I go to Zumba M-W-F @ 5:30..keeps me from being famished @ dinner (usually around 7) and I try to not eat anything after dinner. If I really want something it will usually be a yogurt or cup of hot cocoa. Veggies are a great way to get full without a ton of calories and a good place to start! Try to preportion baggies of your favorites and maybe start by saying "1 baggie every 2 hours"..see if it works

Good Luck on your journey!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Definitely better than a snickers!! I don't get breaks, and eat when i want as well. I am very particular in what I bring. I do not wish to go to vending machines! That is a killer for healthy eating!!
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "Healthy food" doesn't necessarily mean weight loss.

Oats, fruits and veg are healthy, in the sense they have a lot of nutrients in, but it's still a case of calories in vs calories out, not to mention that by the sounds of it, you're eating a shed load of carbs and a lot of sugar from fruit.

In terms of FAT loss, some healthy fats (nuts, fatty fish, meat, real butter etc) and some good protein sources (any of the previous, plus shakes, chicken etc) would be significantly better than carbs, carbs and more carbs - however 'healthy' they are.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    OMG - I'd starve. I need some actual food during the day too in addition to fruits and veggies - but great plan to have them as a snack!
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have tried what you are suggesting. I love having veggies and fruit for snacks to munch on during the day. It also means you have a snack when the cookie tray is going around.

You will be hungry eating just raw foods, so be sure to plan something in addition for lunch. My favorites are raw green beans and half an apple. My lunch is usually some lean protein, like some turkey, and a salad with dressing and black beans.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I'd say give it a try and watch for improvements. Do what works for you.

But I would agree with what some other people say about healthy fruits and veggies still having calories. I've heard of diets where people eat all the fruits and veggies they want and then gain weight instead of lose. But do what works for you. It is better than candy bars and chips. You might still try to track them to see how many calories you end up eating every day.
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have clarified in my original post. I do eat plenty of "normal" foods, my beloved oatmeal (the old fashioned kind) for most breakfasts then a pretty normal dinner. I just don't bring anything BUT fruits and veggies to work. I log all my food on MFP and stay within my calorie intake as well as the recommended carbs and so forth. I just have always had a hard time eating enough fruits and especially veggies if I space them out over the day. I hate them. Maybe that's part of what got me in this mess in the first place. So, I just lug them all to work with me and graze all day on them. If I'm hungry and there is nothing else, I am forced to eat them. I am hoping I can continue with this and lose at least 10-15 of the promised 20 before April 15. I guess I just didn't know if it was wise or healthy to go all day with nothing but fruits and mostly veggies and nothing else. So far, it has been easier than I thought it would be. I'll see in a week when I weigh myself for the first time since I started.