i feel like i am swallowing razor blades!

Options
at first it was just a tickle, now this morning, i feel like i am eating razor blades after i swallow. :sad: i never get sore throats, so it's REALLY uncomfortable! :grumble: and weird, because i don't have tonsils, so it's not strep (plus i don't have white spots or anything)

i'm not one to go running to the doctor, so does anyone know any tips or home remedies? i've been drinking water with lemon and honey, and gargling with salt water, it helps... anyone got anything else?!:huh:

Replies

• ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    go and buy some sore throat spray. you really should go to doc...you probably have strep.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    oh wait....it would help if i read the whole thing....no tonsils. try the spray.
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    make sure the water with your salt is REALLY WARM!!! and throat spray would help too. i would say if you are sure its not strep, maybe its dry when you sleep??

give it a day, and if its not better i'd go in to the dr!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/strep-throat-without-tonsils.html

You can still get strep without tonsils.
    Gargle with salt water every few hours and if it isn't any better, or if it gets worse, by the time you wake up tomorrow morning, go to the doctor, you may need an antibiotic.

A quote from the link I just posted, in case you don't want to read the whole article:

"Strep Throat without Tonsils

The symptoms of strep throat and tonsillitis are quite similar. Patients of these medical problems manifest inflamed tonsils and throat pain. And most people have a misconception that once tonsillectomy procedure is performed to remove tonsils, the particular candidate will not get strep throat. This is totally wrong as strep throat is infection of the throat, not necessarily tonsils. In simple terms, a patient who has undergone tonsillectomy for removal of tonsils do not get tonsillitis afterwards. But, he/she is still susceptible to strep throat or acute streptococcal pharyngitis."
  • amberdm
    amberdm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tylenol makes a great liquid for the throat. FYI you can still get strep with out tonsils removing tonsils prevent tonsillitis, strep is caused by a virus not inflamed tonsils. If if its not strep could be allergies causing your sinus to inflame and drip on your thoat while sleeeping, even if you have never had a symptom before allergies can change ALL the time, once you develop an allergy it does not go away. Take it from someone who lives in south TX and is one 4 different allery meds daily to keep it under control.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Why are you saying that because you don't have tonsils you can't get strep? A quick google search shows that it is possible to get strep without having your tonsils. It sounds exactly how I describe it.
    I would go to the doctor. Where I live strep has been going around and it is a pretty strong strain. A little girl I know developed Scarlett fever from untreated strep (because the doc's said not to come in because they thought, from talking on the phone, that it was swine flu. grumble). I had strep a couple of months ago and the first day I knew what it was (I had it all the time as a kid) but the doctor didn't want me to come in because I didn't have white spots yet. The next day they showed up and I went to the doctor's. Even with antibiotics and fever reducers, my temperature didn't fall below 101 for 5 days.
    I'm not one to run to the doctor either, but strep is something you shouldn't mess around with!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Strep is not a virus; it's a bacteria "streptococcus"; that's why it can be treated with antibiotics. You can get a sore throat from a virus infection too, in which case antibiotics are useless.

Totally agree with above posts - try home treatment and if no better tomorrow, see your doctor. They may do a swab to make sure it's strep before treating.

Hope you feel better soon! :drinker:
  • vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    Coldeeze Lozenges, hot tea, lemon juice and if your daring sort some Southern Comfort. If it doesn't clear within 24-48 hours get to a doctor.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It could also be allergies, since its sunday I am assuming your not going to the MD so try taking a clariton or a zertec to see if that helps. The mucos from your sinus could have drained into your throat all night causing irritation therefore causing a sore throat. Also cloriseptic makes an awesome cough drop that lasts longer than a spray. Good luck but if you dont see any relief from the above post or develop a fever go to the dr. Strep. can be really bad long term if not treated causing much more than scarlett fever.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Even without tonsils, it still may be strep. Even without white spots, it still may be strep. Even if you don't have a fever, it still may be strep. Go to the doctor - the doctor won't be mad at you for coming in. :)
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    thanks for all the posts. i've never had strep in my life, and i only know a couple of people that have had it, and they have their tonsils, so i just assumed, and since i got them out when i was like 7 I just never researched it... lol

@ tiffanyweber - i'm hoping it's allergies! that makes sense, i am kinda congested.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I swear by gargling with a 3/1 ratio of water/hydrogen peroxide. DON'T SWALLOW! I have fought off a lot of sore throats like this... do it once or twice a day and don't drink anything for about 20 minutes afterwards. Spit out any foaming that takes place.

I know a lot of people don't believe in Airborne... but I love it. We had a rough cold and flu season in our house... my son came down with the H1N1 virus at the same time my husband had the stomach flu. Add to that, we have a ferret (as I learned this year - ferrets are extremely susceptible to human flu viruses) and he caught the flu from my son. I knew that I couldn't afford to get sick because as mom, I had to take care of everyone. I took Airborne faithfully three times a day and upped my vitamin C intake substantially - I stayed healthy throughout the flu season. Airborne is a staple in my house now.

Drink lots of fluids, hot green tea (antioxidants) and rest.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    You can still get strep without tonsils. Go see your doctor if it persists for more than a day.
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    try gargling with salt water
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    This remedy is the best! 1/2 cup vinegar 1/2 cup honey. Mix together very well and take 1 tbsp every 4 hours till gone. Don't drink anything after you take it. the combo coats and soothes your throat and kills bacteria. Its way more pleasant that gargling. Safer that the OTC sprays. And its cheaper and works even better.

Tomorrow morning make an appointment and GO TO A DOCTOR!!! You do not need tonsills to get strept. I had my tonsills removed at age 5 and have had strept several times. You might also want to up your vitamin C and zinc intake. Try a echenacea supplement as well for the duration of your symptoms. If you choose to up your zinc by means of a supplement, do not take it with the echenacea. It will make you very nauseous.

Also, soup is always good when you are sick. Feel better soon!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    As weird as this sounds, my mother swears by rubbing your neck in Bengay and wrapping in a towel overnight. I poo pooed her for years, but after feeling so bad once, I tried it and she was RIGHT! I hate it when she is right! Anyway, just thought I would throw it out there in case you want to try it tonight! I have nothing against going to a doctor though in order to prevent a sustained sore throat!
  • HMBradley42
    Options
    If you wake up tomorrow and it's still painfull go to the dr's...you probably have strep...If you take a flashlight and look at your throat and you see puss then it's definately strep...But don't assume if you can't see the puss it's not strep if your still in pain in the morning you need to be tested there's nothing like going to work or school sick and passing it around since strep is highly contagious so I would definately have it checked out...Hope you feel better soon...
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    thank you for all your tips!!! but i am pretty sure it's def. not strep. the razor blades have gone away! i gargled with hydrogen peroxide and warm water and that did wonders, now i just have a little headache/pressure... and i'm tired! : ( oh and i also irrigated my sinus with a neti-pot!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    So it was the evil post-nasal drip that irritated your throat!
    I hate that nasty bugger!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your tips!!! but i am pretty sure it's def. not strep. the razor blades have gone away! i gargled with hydrogen peroxide and warm water and that did wonders, now i just have a little headache/pressure... and i'm tired! : ( oh and i also irrigated my sinus with a neti-pot!
    Glad that it helped... see how you feel tomorrow or the next day... could be a sinus infection.