Any gastric bypass patients on here

Options

Replies

• steezymom
    Options
    I just wanted to check in with everyone and see how everyone is doing? Monday is my 11 months, I hit goal last month and am THRILLED!

I amount of energy I have, the craving for physical activity, the planning/discipline for my diet it almost feels surreal. I worry every day that I will "screw" this up somehow so I have resigned to the idea I have to use my tool and work day to day!

I am forever grateful for this choice, as scary as it was to make it ended up being the choice to LIVE :)
  • angelsssss
    Options
    I had the gastricbypass five years ago i got down to my goal weight of 150 pounds
    then last year i got depressed and the winter was hard and started gaining
    weight again. I need to loose 60 pounds to get back down to
    the weight i was for so many years after my rue en y bypas.
  • goldy507
    Options
    Hello everyone! I had my gastric bypass done on March 5, 2014. I was 309 before the surgery and I am currently at 208. I haven't lost weight in a week...is this normal? I haven't been to the gym since I was doing finals, but is this what I need to do to keep losing the weight? Also, lately I am unable to hold much down. I'm scared to eat because I don't want to throw up. Is it normal that after 6 months I am still unable to have any meat or chicken? I only eat beans and soup :(
  • skyblu222us
    skyblu222us Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Rita and I had RNY bypass last September 2013. I love myfitnesspal and endomondo tracker. I log everything I eat and the exercise I do. I am down 113 lbs. since last September. My highest weight was 250 lbs. I am feeling pretty good honestly. But I am searching for an application to save recipes that are RNY friendly too. Myfitnesspals recipes don't show my ingredients on my iphone for some strange reason and I surely can't carry the desktop to the stop when shopping for my ingredients for my healthy meals. If anyone knows one please kindly let me know. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • skyblu222us
    skyblu222us Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say don't give up on the foods, I found one day I can eat something the next I can't. then I can again. Wanted to also tell you if you struggle keeping things down had doctor check to make sure no ulcers. I had that problem and it was ulcers. You can add me as a myfitnesspal if you like skyblu222us
  • strack22
    Options
    Hi! I'd just like to give any recent RNY gastric bypass patients some hope, because this thread is kind of misleading. First, you do NOT "lose your ability to malabsorb" at two years post-RNY. I am 7 years post-RNY and still malabsorb like crazy. If I eat a high fat meal, 20-30 minutes later I am in the bathroom and it is quite clear that malabsorption is still very much a part of my life! lol.

I don't want to go into all the specifics of why malabsorption may decrease over time, but it is basically because a patient has not followed the golden rule of WLS - and that is lean protein first, at every meal, every time!!!!! If you are consistently eating a diet high in fat and carbohydrates after RNY, your intestines will eventually "heal" themselves, and re-learn how to absorb fat and carbohydrates. It is also very important to know whether or not you had a distal or proximal RNY, because that tells you how much of your intestine was removed, and thus what your level of malabsorption is. But malabsorption by itself is NOT the key to achieving long-term weight loss after RNY. The key is behavior modification - learning to eat well and, perhaps, dealing with the underlying psychological issues that may have led you to overeat in the first place.

For me, I had a distal RNY done, and my surgeon removed about 2.5 feet of my intestine, and left me with a two-ounce pouch. I weighed 232 pounds on the morning of surgery (I'm 5'5" tall), and reached my low weight of 127 pounds at one year out from surgery, meaning I had lost more than 100% of my excess body fat. As I said earlier, I am 7 years out from surgery, and I now weigh 128 pounds. I have even had a baby (3 years post-op), and had no trouble losing the weight after my pregnancy. My type 2 diabetes has also been "in remission" since the day after my surgery, so I am a completely diet-controlled type 2 diabetic with normal A1-C's.

The most important thing any WLS patient can do is educate themselves about good eating habits and use the tool their surgeon has given them. The forums at obesityhelp.com helped me more than anything, so please visit there if you have not already. Find a community of WLS patients that are similar to you (for me, it was the "Lightweights" forum), and educate yourself as much as possible.

Good luck to all of you! Believe me - you have been given a powerful tool, but it is up to you to use it effectively!
  • strack22
    Options
    Hi! You are doing awesome! If you are having trouble digesting proteins like chicken and fish, you might want to try papaya enzymes. They helped me a lot in my first 6-18 months post-op.

I promise, you WILL find a protein that works for you!! For me, it was grilled shrimp. Holy hell I ate so much grilled shrimp in those first couple of years post-WLS that you would think I'd never want to look at it again!!!!! But, actually, 7 years out I still love grilled shrimp and will eat it over any other protein source when it's available. You just have to find the best, most nutrient-rich source of protein that is right for you.
  • strack22
    Options
    Hi - I am thinking about getting the gastric bypass and would love to know more about it! Can you tell me if everyone has to do the 6 month diet before surgery? (If I could do that I would not need surgery!)

The six-month diet is generally a restriction that is put on by your insurance provider. Some surgeons have now taken to making it an "across the board" requirement, but not all have. My surgeon didn't, and my insurance company didn't require it if your BMI was over 35 and you had co-morbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). You just need to find out what your insurance requirements are, then find a surgeon that works within those guidelines.

I can understand not wanting to go through the whole "six month diet" thing - but, honestly, haven't all obese patients pretty much been on some sort of diet or another for years and years and years? The six-month diet requirement is just a diet that is observed by a medical professional. What is six more months of being monitored if it ultimately leads to you having the opportunity for a permanent change?
  • biggermann
    biggermann Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes I have over the past few years. Gained 70 pounds and not really sure why.. Yes I do have not so good days, but more time good day. Walking lots, approximately 7_10 miles daily.. Also attempt gym strength training 3 time a week. Doctors have said no explanation for this. Still experimenting with rats to understand... So it looks like a lot of self education and training to not loose what we have gained in health...
  • geminilove11
    Options
    Hi I had RNY on Dec 4th 2013. I have lost 83 pounds since surgery. 110 pounds from my highes, last few months have been tough to see the scale move. I am going back to the basics. Feel free to add me
  • PLACKL
    PLACKL Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    have just stopped loosing ugh...
  • doryyatsko
    Options
    I had RNY surgery on September 13, 2004 at a top weight of 402 lbs. I lost 198 lbs. dropping me to 204. I had an abundance of energy and followed the program to a tee. But, I lost so much hair, had to have my gallbladder removed, became anemic and started feeling sorry for myself. In 2011 to present I gained back 112 lbs. eating small meals still but all the junk and crap snacks I could shovel. I am completely at fault for the weight gain and losing my focus. I choose not to give up and I choose not to beat on myself. Instead I sought out help. Got back in touch with my surgeon who I loved at the time only to be told well you still are 100 lbs lighter. That was accurate but not at all motivational. So I went to my favorite Gastroenterologist Dr. Sunil Gupta in New York. He researched a procedure being performed at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital called a Gastric Pouch Plication. It is done endoscopically and in a nutshell stitches the opening in the stomach to about the size of your pinkie nail. So it's back to protein shakes and purees. The difference this time is that you feel hungry. I did not for months after the RNY. I have recommitted myself and consider this another chance at life. It takes a lot more on my part than before, but I am coping well and have lost 16 lbs. since the procedure on September 2, 2014. I feel well enough to exercise and have gotten coworkers to meet and walk in the late afternoon. I am blessed with a very encouraging group of friends, family and coworkers. I consider each of these days Sept. 13th, Sept. 2 birthdays along with my actual one on Sept. 27th. However, the only gift I want or will accept is health. I eat to live, I don't live to eat. Goodies are gone and that's just the way it is. I just feel stronger in every sense of the word when I am eating right and doing something to take care of myself. I have never regretted having the bypass surgery. I no longer had to worry about parking close, chairs with arms, long walks, hot days, clothes shopping, bathing suits, bending to tie my shoes, scales, step stools, plastic chairs, clipping my toenails or standing. I don't ever want to worry about those things again. I wish you all success and encourage you to pay more attention to feeling great and less attention to reaching a weight goal that someone else has set for you. Keep on walking and tracking and we'll meet at the other end of the scale in the land where healthy people reside. Be well!
  • TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I had Roux-N-Y in 2009. Lost 120 pounds. Got too skinny from my perspective. Stopped losing and then gained back 25 pounds. I want to drop 15-20 and then maintain. I started the 5 Day Pouch Test last Saturday. Went back to the basics of gastric bypass and re-calibrated my understanding of the weight loss tool. It really worked for me. Although not intended for weight loss, I lost 5 pounds in a week. It helped me remember what the pouch does for you. I highly recommend it. Using MFP food tracker really helped me identify my problem areas, and to see how many calories I was really consuming. My coffee creamer was a BIG problem. Too many carbs. I agree with many of you that simple carbohydrates are the enemy. Complex carbs on the other hand are our friends. Since my weight loss my cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, and blood sugar are perfect. I go by clothing size and where I am comfortable, not by what the tables tell you. If you are stuck I would highly recommend the 5 day pouch test. It is not easy, but it is effective to remind us what we are supposed to do. Good luck to you all. We deserve the best. I would do the procedure again in an instant. It gave me another chance and I don't take that for granted.

What exactly is the 5 day pouch test? I had gastric bypass in Dec. 2012 and lost 80 lbs originally. Lately, though, I have been gaining and it's scaring me to death. I DO NOT WANT TO GAIN BACK MY WEIGHT. I've rededicated myself this week to eating right and exercising and I'm hoping that will do the trick. I've gained about 8 lbs. and don't want it to get to 80!
  • imdonebfat
    Options
    I had the Roux-N-Y in Dec. 2012, I lost 70 lbs. I have not lost anymore since. My Dr. told me before I had the surgery that it would be difficult to lose the weight because of the medications that I take. When the Surgeon talk to my family after my surgery the first thing she told them was it would be difficult but I could do it with hard work! I am so discourage! The last 9 months it's like I have given up. Has anyone else gone through this, with their medications? I could really use some encouraging words! :frown:
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • aprilflowers15
    Options
    I had my surgery January 2012. I was 321lbs

I reached 167 the summer of 2013. I started counting my calories and was eating 1000 a day. I stopped getting my period in March of 2013, I got a whole series of blood tests, MRI, ultrasound and they all came back clear.

Then that fall I began teaching and gained 3lbs, staying at 170. I was determined to get back to the 160s, so I started going to Bootcamp.

I went home Christmas 2013, gained 10lbs. I also started getting my period again. So when I got back I gave up drinking and partying, got strict again back to my 1000 calorie goal. By February 2014 I was back to 170. Then, for some reason, despite being diligent and strict, I gained 8lbs. I stepped on the scale may long weekend, saw 180lbs and totally lost it. My period had stopped again too.

So I sought out a personal trainer and a dietitian, both were horrified that I was eating 1000 calories a day and working out. The personal trainer refused to take me on until I upped my calories, the dietitian urged me to eat more. I did, a little, and I lost 1-2lbs.

Then I spent the month of July in NL, and gained 10lbs. (period came back) Accepting this, when I got back I cut out all alcohol, I got really strict, worked out 6 days a week (bootcamp 3 days, an hour run/walk another 3 days) and I hadn't lost an ounce. and my periods have stopped. Frustrated, I went back to the dietitian and she said I still need to eat more. I was eating 1500 on bootcamp days, 1300-1400 on non-bootcamp days. She wanted me to net 1500. So instead of netting 1500 a day, I simply ate 1500 a day, and 1800 on bootcamp days.

Well, I gained weight from this.

I feel like I am all out of options. I feel like I am drowning. Doesn't matter how hard I kick, swim an fight to surface, I am drowning. All the professionals can do is grasp at straws.

I've had hormones checked, my thyroid checked, blood work done and it all comes back normal. I feel like it's inevitable that I'll get back to where I was.

I work SOOO hard. I still have not touched sugar, caffeine, fast food, anything deep fried, chips or any junk.

All my foods are fruits, veggies, lean proteins I eat are fish and turkey, and whole grains. Despite eating clean and being active, I am gaining weight.

It's not muscle gain, I am busting out of my clothes.

I have cancelled Christmas and Thanksgiving. I have deleted my Facebook because I can't stand to see all these people enjoying their lives and here I am working so hard and getting nowhere but back to where I started.

I am desperate. I need help.
  • ellyvrv
    ellyvrv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had RNY 6.5 years ago. I was 264 lb before the surgery and I lost weight until 145 lb, where I stayed until January. Now, I've gained 11 lb and I am having a very difficult time losing these 10 lb... I've tried everything and I lose about 1 lb per month, which is very frustrating, and then I eat two candies and I gain everything back again... I've been in this yo-yo for the whole year, and it is very sad. The main reason I went through surgery is because I did not want to keep fighting with my weight, and it seems that I did not learn how to do so. I still eat candies, most of the times I don't have any dumping syndrome, and two weeks ago I finished a restaurant meal completely, which tells me that my pouch is big again. I am very frustrating and sad. I need help :(
    Btw, I did not know about loosing the malabsorption after 2 years. Why that happens?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have already had it.........did you know that after 2 years you lose the benefit of mal-absorbtion?

They call malabsorption a benefit? Must be a term the surgeons use...shivers.

OK I'm obese and I've looked into bypass and lap band multiple times each time the conclusions comes back to for only being simply a tool, drastic surgery does not seem to be an option for me...let me state that again for me! The only effective means to lose weight is portion control (which is done by reducing the stomach) and more movement from what I have learned.

I'm going to put a high jack question to the thread, forgive me OP.

If we as food addicts had started to work on the route cause of our destructive behaviors would you have still taken the route to have surgery? If you knew that you would have a better relationship with food and could manage the addiction would altering your GI tract the benefits would have outweighed the risks. As we all know bypass is not a 100% answer and if someone is still not facing the demons the weight can and possibly will come back.

Question sorry if I offended. I am a struggling addict and every day I think to myself maybe a bypass would help make this addiction easier.

Surgery is not for everyone. I really had to dig deep and learn the reasons for my behaviors and WHY I got fat.Like most of us, my reasons were situational, emotional, and biological. I tackled a lot of the emotional crap. I adopted a lot of more constructive behaviors.. but in the end, the thing I couldn't fix by myself was my insatiable physical hunger and I realized that my biggest problem was indeed portion control. I had VSG surgery over a year ago and WHAT A HUGE difference it has made. I now can eat a reasonable portion of food and feel satiated from it. I no longer obsess about food constantly because I don't have persistent nagging hunger. Occasionally I'll feel the urge to turn to food for comfort but because it's not backed up by a bottomless pit of a stomach that is constantly DEMANDING to be filled, I am much more equipped to resist those urges to turn to emotional eating.

Now as for the malabsorptive component to the gastric bypass, I didn't want that. For some people they need it for whatever reason, that's between them and their doctor but I didn't want it. That's why I had VSG. It made my stomach smaller and removed the portion of the stomach that produces a the majority of the body's hunger hormone ghrellin, but my intestines were not touched so I absorb all the calories and nutrients from all my food.
  • carriekos
    carriekos Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I had RNY on Nov. 17, when I went to the doctor for my 2 week post op I had lost a total of 15lbs from Oct. 30. I'm afraid to get on the scale at home because it is never the same as what the doctor's office is. I have my next appointment on Dec. 19 and can't wait to see what the scale says. I don't know if I'm losing as quickly as everyone else is on Bariatric pal in my group of Nov. RNYer's I try to get in all the protein. I'm tired of the shakes and never drank a lot of fluids prior to the surgery and am really struggling to get in the 64oz now. I'm still in the puree stage, how do you get in protein in soup, mashed potatoes, applesauce? I made chocolate pudding with a scoop of my protein mix but didn't feel well after. So I didn't do that again. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
  • staceyhotmama
    staceyhotmama Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had gbs surgery 8 years ago and working to lose 25 lbs of regain. No regrets having surgery, though. Best thing I did for my health. I'd love other friends who are in the same boat. :)