In search of some cheap healthy recipies for a family of 4

Options
theresapoynor
theresapoynor Posts: 13 Member
Anyone out there know of some good , but cheap healthy recipes to feed a family of 4 ? I shop on a limited budget and since i am changing my eating habits im making everyone else to, but i need recipes that will satisfy everyone because i cant cook two separate meals every night

Replies

• DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my other half had been subjected to mfp to the point of a belt notch before he knew.

Assuming you prepare and cook meals rather than buy ready made here us what I did.

Recipes....

If it says tablespoon of oil, use teaspoon

Minced meat, buy lowest fat, then use kitchen towel to soak up any fat that surfaces.

If recipe is 1lb mince do 3/4 mince 1/4 shredded cauliflower

Potato mash make 50/50 with celeriac (celery root) and leave out the milk and butter

Bread, replace 2 slices with a wrap (fill with shredded lettuce and salad veg, pastrami, low fat mayo.)

Generally pile on the green vegetables,

Use herbs and spices, a heap of cabbage is boring, the same heap of cabbage with a chopped onion, garlic, finely chopped rosemary and a grind of pepper is almost a meal. Top it with a Bolognese sauce and who needs pasta?

My other half has redesigned a number of desserts, it is possible to do crumble under 200 calories.

Try dressing a salad with lemon juice and zest with black pepper, or orange juice and zest with ground cinnamon.

Big flavours low calories.
  • Roboartist
    Options
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/everyday-menus/healthy-budget-recipes-00400000056656/

Cooking light has a good collection of budget recipes. Beyond this link they have other recipes on a budget features. You could probably even go lower sodium and fat in these recipes.