Cardio for bad knees?

Options
This is my first post so be nice :)

I have been going to the gym three times a week and have been working out on the elliptical when I go. I have noticed that the elliptical can sometimes aggravate my knee even though that machine is supposed to be low-impact. (i blew out my knee when I was playing field hockey in high school). I wonder if anyone had any other cardio suggestions? I have been loving the elliptical because I can burn so many calories during my workout.

Thanks for the info!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If the elliptical is causing you problems, try a stationary bike. If that causes you problems, you may need to resort to swimming.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems and cycling (you may need to keep the resistance low), swimming and boxing are probably going to be your best bets for cardio options
  • trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tore my meniscus and my acl in my knee about 6 yrs ago, went to the surgeon, he said to bike bike bike then bike some more, I would not be doing any harm to it but it would be very very good for me as it would strengthen my legs to help support my knee.

After I head strengthened my leg proper he did the surgery, it also helped with the pain I had with walking before my surgery.

I still bike a lot, and it still keeps my knee in good shape, no pain in it at all
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • dee__s
    dee__s Posts: 30
    Options
    My knees hurt whenever i bend them i have awful knees. Avoid water aerobics because its painful theres alot of bending in the water. Running with proper running shoes or just walking outdoors, as well as walking on the treadmill works.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Spinning ... make sure the instructor sets up the bike for you. If the bike is set right, you will actually find that your knees will feel better afterwards.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    elliptical or water aerobics.
  • rwong53
    rwong53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitley swimming!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    recumbent bike
    swimming
    roller blading
    boxing speed bag

Good luck!
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    First of all what if wrong with your knee officially because that would influence my suggestion. Secondly have you researched dueling ropes??
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    My knee doc suggested elliptical and recumbent bike for my tendonitis and meniscus tear.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have ACL in one knee, and meniscus tear in the other...I know bad knees! For me, a recumbent bike is great. I also like swimming. I would suggest avoiding the eliptical until the muscles around your knee are stronger. When they are, start slowly on a machine with a bit higher impact, such as a treadmill.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    spin classes have been the best thing for my knees - and I have had 5 torn ACLs that were fixed, and one that is currently torn. I also practice yoga and swim. i think the bike and swimming are the two best.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had full on reconstructive knee surgery a couple years ago. We're talking every ligament was torn. The elliptical can sometimes bother me as well. Check out the arc trainer. It's a similar motion, but for whatever reason, doesn't aggravate my knee. Water aerobics and the bike (if you can tolerate it) are also good. If you're going to walk/run on a treadmill, doing so at a slight incline will help take some of the pressure off.
  • carleighsmama
    carleighsmama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My knees are junk too after three separate sprain incidents when I was younger. I have found going for a walk or using an elliptical works best for me on bad days. When my knees aren't acting up, I play Just Dance 4.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've had knee injuries. Too much cardio hurts my knees. Sometime the elliptical does and sometimes it doesn't. But, I don't usually use that. Biking helps. Going up stairs (and hiking) helps (going down stairs hurts). I have found that doing more strength training is better for my knees (as long as I work in a way that helps and not hurts). I still get cardio from my life, but rarely do it just for the sake of exercising at the gym. I also do yoga and I am a dancer. If I was not a dancer, I might do more cardio for fun. But, I have to pick and choose wisely, so I do not over train or get overuse injuries (since I use my body so much).
  • pnm21
    pnm21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had two surgeries on my knee and the eliptical is the WORST. (low impact but the muscles needed are not always there after knee troubles) Try restarting your knee exercises. I would contact my physical therapist for extra advice to be careful.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The arm bike if all else fails.. There's a machine in the gym's in this area that you sit and 'pedal' with your arms in front of you, it's great cardio. Not sure on calorie burn though..
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I ran for 18 years and finally lost a knee in the war on miles, switched to cycling and loving it, makes my 33 percent meniscus knee feel much better.
  • frameloss
    frameloss Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can't use the elliptical any more either as it hurts my kneews! Try the arc trainer by cybex! It is awesome! It is more of a cross country skiing motion. Less impact on knees and burns same calories if not more than elliptical! Spinning too is great! I find as I get older to mix it up from day to day to avoid over using the knees helps too!