Is it really that bad to eat processed food??

Options
13»

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Sorry for double posting... The point I was making that I got distracted from, is you lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks on an average of 1100 per day. Meaning you had an average daily deficit of 667 calories, putting your average total calorie burn over the last 3 weeks at 1777 per day.

Since a pound of fat is 3500 calories, and you need to burn 500 a day to lose one pound a week, according to the last 3 weeks you would be able to lose at one pound per week by eating 1277 calories a day.

The reason I eat so little is because I don't know what to eat anymore.. I can't help that healthy food doesn't have many calories. I am a picky eater and i don't like much. The food I like is high in calories so I stay away which results in me not eating much..

Then add some of the foods you like back in. Just add them back until you are up to a healthier level of calories. You can still have a calorie deficit and lose weight while eating those foods. You can't really survive on so few calories. It is not healthy and, in the end, will not help you reach your goal.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Sorry for double posting... The point I was making that I got distracted from, is you lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks on an average of 1100 per day. Meaning you had an average daily deficit of 667 calories, putting your average total calorie burn over the last 3 weeks at 1777 per day.

Since a pound of fat is 3500 calories, and you need to burn 500 a day to lose one pound a week, according to the last 3 weeks you would be able to lose at one pound per week by eating 1277 calories a day.

The reason I eat so little is because I don't know what to eat anymore.. I can't help that healthy food doesn't have many calories. I am a picky eater and i don't like much. The food I like is high in calories so I stay away which results in me not eating much..
    I understand, I am the pickiest eater I know. As far as veggies I only eat carrots and broccoli. 98% of the produce section (and the vast majority of the grocery store) is untouchable! LOL

If you try to restrict yourself to only "healthy" foods you are going to starve, be miserable if not sick, and give up quickly. Forget that whole deal for now, just find what calorie level actually works well for you and then as you're logging you can start to find (on your own terms and totally at your own pace) which foods you can replace with some 'better' alternatives. I mean little things like a handful of almonds which fills me up for a couple hours, instead of a candy bar which makes me partly satisfied for about 4 minutes and then leaves me wanting another candy bar!

Or a couple carrots (or cucumbers) with some ranch, it's low calorie, the bulk plus fiber plus fat keeps me satisfied, and it's got some good vitamins in it. Figure out what works for you, a bit at a time, and in a way that's sustainable for you and doesn't drive you up the wall. :)
  • anthonyws
    Options
    I think everything in moderation is fine. My wife and I prefer the Lean Cuisine meals because they are tasty and easy to portion. Also, I can easily plug them into the diary first thing in the morning and have a better sense of what calories I have available the rest of the day.

On the french fries and chicken nuggets front, I think it is emotionally healthy to indulge a little once in a while and doing it in a healthy manner.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You are NOT eating enough if you are only eating 900 calories per day!! 1200 calories is the bare minimum that your body needs for your organs to function normally. I would say, after exercise, you should be eating about 1300. You aren't going to lose weight all at once. It's a process and a lifestyle change so be patient. Clean eating is, obviously, best but my reasoning for eating healthy low calorie food is that I can eat continually during the day and still feel satisfied. If I only eat one fatty heavy meal (like chicken nuggets) then an hour later when I am hungry again I feel guilty for eating or I don't eat and feel miserable. Don't be afraid of eating, but you do need to eat healthy to be healthy. That's not to say that you have to avoid foods you like, but make healthy substitutions. You can eat chicken nuggets, but make your own and bake them instead of frying them - it will save you a lot of extra calories and you know what you are putting into your body. If you are craving french fries try eating sweet potato fries instead. I am a big potato chip fan but recently I've been making kale chips instead and I don't miss my regular chips anymore! Also make sure you take time to exercise. Counting calories and watching what you eat is great and it's 80% of losing weight, but the other 20% is getting to the gym or walking around your neighborhood. I just lost 80 lbs before I started using this website and that is what I've done to help myself get healthy. I really am concerned that you are starving yourself, though.

I do exercise i do insanity atleast 5 times a week, go to the gym sometimes, and do another workout I have also. I don't feel starved at all.. I feel like 900 is enough for me.
    You've seen the comments. I'll say it once more then leave this thread.

900 calories is not enough.
    900 calories while doing insanity 5 days a week is not enough.
    900 calories of processed crap while doing insanity 5 days a week is not enough.
    I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but as I said before: it's a recipe for disaster.
    You are not fueling your body.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just reading the ingredients on processed food packaging is gross!

We are a family of 6 and I only prepare fresh meals for them. Snacks are homemade and healthier. I have found great meal makeovers that are quick and easy to prepare.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Try different recipes for your fresh chicken. Take a little bit of olive oil, coat the chicken, and dip it in some bread crumbs, and bake it! It is delicious! or go to all recipes, and try the sweet, and spice chicken, just make some substitutes, like low sodium soy sauce, or no ginger root and just put over some brown rice, it is so good. For fries, I love coutting up some fingerling potatoes, and just spraying them lightly with EVOO, and putting some spices on them!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Sticky-and-Spicy-Chicken/Detail.aspx
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    no... however if your diet is entirely nutrient void or you over eat on calories then yes it is that bad.

I actually try to stay in the 900 calories range.. I was doing 1200 for 2 weeks and didnt lose anything and went to 900 and the next week i lost 4.. so I don't go over ever. I am just sick of eating baked chicken and veggies all the time. But i don't wanna buy processed food and have that effect my weighloss.

900 calories? Please please please don't do this. Seriously. Your body needs more calories than that just to sleep and take a crap. I have a cousin that is only 4'8, her maintenance calories is about 1200, so I really doubt you can live on 900.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just read the whole 900 calorie + 5 days of insanity part! Wow! You are hurting your body, and that is all I can really say without maybe offending some people, but it is not healthy, and you are heading in a certain direction by doing this.
  • Courtney24891
    Options
    no... however if your diet is entirely nutrient void or you over eat on calories then yes it is that bad.

I actually try to stay in the 900 calories range.. I was doing 1200 for 2 weeks and didnt lose anything and went to 900 and the next week i lost 4.. so I don't go over ever. I am just sick of eating baked chicken and veggies all the time. But i don't wanna buy processed food and have that effect my weighloss.

900 calories? Please please please don't do this. Seriously. Your body needs more calories than that just to sleep and take a crap. I have a cousin that is only 4'8, her maintenance calories is about 1200, so I really doubt you can live on 900.

Lol I am 5'9 I just eat, whatever my calories are at.. it is what it is.. Im not gonna go stuff myself when i am not hungry so I can have more calories..
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Lol I am 5'9 I just eat, whatever my calories are at.. it is what it is.. Im not gonna go stuff myself when i am not hungry so I can have more calories..

But earlier you said the food you LIKE is HIGH in calories so you AVOID it. If you add a little of it back in then you would not need to "stuff yourself" to get more calories. You seem to be using flawed logic to justify your eating disorder. I advise you to get professional help for it. 900 calories is not enough to fuel what you are doing and this is unhealthy.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

But keep in mind it's not just calories your body needs. You aren't necessarily going to feel hunger because of a deficiency in a particular vitamin or mineral. For example, if I get low on vitamin D I don't get hungry, I just get depression and/or anxiety. You get the idea.
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    5'9" and eating 900 calories is insane. I am also that height and there is no way I could eat that amount and not be in starvation mode. You are seriously harming your body. I can't even begin to comprehend how you can do the Insanity workout without passing out or feeling sick.

Eat more of the foods you actually like. Or try making them yourself at home to make them a little healthier. I like fries too and I make them at home and bake them in the oven. Or I make my own yam fries. It's easy to bread your own chicken and bake it in the oven.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, quit listening to "everyone," and eat foods you enjoy. Most of the things you listed are myths. Eat read meat. People forget that in addition to protein, it has micronutrients that we need daily. And more importantly, ALL food is processed. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't thought through the logic.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Eating only 900 calories a day, at your age and with only 26 pounds to lose, is much more dangerous than any "processed food."
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You are NOT eating enough if you are only eating 900 calories per day!! 1200 calories is the bare minimum that your body needs for your organs to function normally. I would say, after exercise, you should be eating about 1300. You aren't going to lose weight all at once. It's a process and a lifestyle change so be patient. Clean eating is, obviously, best but my reasoning for eating healthy low calorie food is that I can eat continually during the day and still feel satisfied. If I only eat one fatty heavy meal (like chicken nuggets) then an hour later when I am hungry again I feel guilty for eating or I don't eat and feel miserable. Don't be afraid of eating, but you do need to eat healthy to be healthy. That's not to say that you have to avoid foods you like, but make healthy substitutions. You can eat chicken nuggets, but make your own and bake them instead of frying them - it will save you a lot of extra calories and you know what you are putting into your body. If you are craving french fries try eating sweet potato fries instead. I am a big potato chip fan but recently I've been making kale chips instead and I don't miss my regular chips anymore! Also make sure you take time to exercise. Counting calories and watching what you eat is great and it's 80% of losing weight, but the other 20% is getting to the gym or walking around your neighborhood. I just lost 80 lbs before I started using this website and that is what I've done to help myself get healthy. I really am concerned that you are starving yourself, though.

I do exercise i do insanity atleast 5 times a week, go to the gym sometimes, and do another workout I have also. I don't feel starved at all.. I feel like 900 is enough for me.

Your workouts would feel a LOT better if they were properly fueled.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Mix up all your meats! There is no reason why you can't enjoy a great steak every once in a while. I love beef and I don't eat it often but that's usually because of the cost of beef - pork seems to be cheaper. Honestly, if it were lower in cost, I'd eat it every other day. Weigh your portions and just vary everything. I think the bad stuff is the stuff with so many chemicals that you can't even understand the labels. There are healthier items out there - you just need to look for it.

Monica
  • kimbojae
    kimbojae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard that chicken & sweet potato one is pretty terrible tasting. Try the Healthy Choice or Marie Callendar's STEAMERS. I have a BERY picky-eating friend that likes those. Marie Callendar's teriyaki chicken, Healthy Choice - the teriyaki chicken isn't as good as Marie's, but still pretty tasty, beef teriyaki, & there are a couple of others. The steamers were Top Chef inspired, so you might like them more.:happy:
  • Courtney24891
    Options
    5'9" and eating 900 calories is insane. I am also that height and there is no way I could eat that amount and not be in starvation mode. You are seriously harming your body. I can't even begin to comprehend how you can do the Insanity workout without passing out or feeling sick.

Eat more of the foods you actually like. Or try making them yourself at home to make them a little healthier. I like fries too and I make them at home and bake them in the oven. Or I make my own yam fries. It's easy to bread your own chicken and bake it in the oven.

I am not saying i eat only 900 calories everyday its different everyday it could be over or it could be less. And I am doing the Insanity Fast & Furious.. Not the original hour long workout. I just don't see why french fries bought in a bag at store is soo bad when its only 100 calories for 3oz. I am not saying im gonna eat them everyday or anything, maybe the carbs or sodium is high but I'm really only worried about calories.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    OP, quit listening to "everyone," and eat foods you enjoy. Most of the things you listed are myths. Eat read meat. People forget that in addition to protein, it has micronutrients that we need daily. And more importantly, ALL food is processed. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't thought through the logic.
    LOL yep. My inner pedant is also amused by the use of "whole foods" to describe produce and meats. "Fiddlesticks! My snakes eat whole mice." I've never seen anyone eat a tomato and the entire vine, or an entire cow or the whole chicken. Feathers just ain't that tasty. ;)
    I just don't see why french fries bought in a bag at store is soo bad when its only 100 calories for 3oz. I am not saying im gonna eat them everyday or anything, maybe the carbs or sodium is high but I'm really only worried about calories.
    Yes. Get your calories to a safe and sane level first, and then worry about substituting in "better" alternatives for some of the "junkier" stuff you normally eat.

The fries in a bag aren't going to kill you anytime soon and eating them (or any junk food) this year isn't going to take decades away from your life or anything. The health police will have you believe you're going to drop dead next week because you ate too much sodium or "processed" foods, as if "processed" is an ingredient or a molecule. Stop listening to these people, and change your eating habits on your terms and your schedule. If you were 60 with a blocked coronary artery you would need to hurry it up, but you're young and have the time to figure out what works for you.

If you try to live by a diet of deprivation that someone else dictated to you (or scared you into) you are going to be miserable and not stick to it anyway. Is the way you're eating now really how you want to live the next 60-75 years of your life?
  • Courtney24891
    Options
    LOL yep. My inner pedant is also amused by the use of "whole foods" to describe produce and meats. "Fiddlesticks! My snakes eat whole mice." I've never seen anyone eat a tomato and the entire vine, or an entire cow or the whole chicken. Feathers just ain't that tasty. ;)
    I just don't see why french fries bought in a bag at store is soo bad when its only 100 calories for 3oz. I am not saying im gonna eat them everyday or anything, maybe the carbs or sodium is high but I'm really only worried about calories.
    Yes. Get your calories to a safe and sane level first, and then worry about substituting in "better" alternatives for some of the "junkier" stuff you normally eat.

The fries in a bag aren't going to kill you anytime soon and eating them (or any junk food) this year isn't going to take decades away from your life or anything. The health police will have you believe you're going to drop dead next week because you ate too much sodium or "processed" foods, as if "processed" is an ingredient or a molecule. Stop listening to these people, and change your eating habits on your terms and your schedule. If you were 60 with a blocked coronary artery you would need to hurry it up, but you're young and have the time to figure out what works for you.

If you try to live by a diet of deprivation that someone else dictated to you (or scared you into) you are going to be miserable and not stick to it anyway. Is the way you're eating now really how you want to live the next 60-75 years of your life?

I will try to get my calories to 1200 everyday but I can't guarantee it every single day..All I wanted to know was if eating food like that once a week or so would slow my weighloss thats all.. didn't know everyone was gonna flip out over this bull****. Thanks for all your input Serpwidgets. It was helpful. I can't say that about everyone elses ridiculous responses.