Dizziness while working out?

Options
Should I stop my workout if I start to get dizzy? It's been happening a lot lately after my workouts, I've been having to lay down with my feet elevated for a few minutes afterwards. But if it starts happening in the middle, should I stop what I'm doing entirely or can I just take a quick break until I feel better and then finish?

Replies

• lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a heart monitor? I'd be interested in seeing what your heart rate gets to.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor?
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Are you eating something before you work out? Drinking water?
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a heart monitor? I'd be interested in seeing what your heart rate gets to.

I don't, can't afford one. It doesn't usually happen with cardio, though, just when I'm doing strength training, although I'm sure there are many here that would not consider what I do to be strength training :blushing:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Usually that is a sign of low blood sugar.

And I second nz_deevaa, I would see a doctor.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me often when running. I just try to keep in mind that there is a very fine line between being a bit dizzy and smashing your piehole into the console of a treadmill before getting shot into a wall.

Edit after seeing that it only happens during weight training:

This also happens to me, generally when I am squatting or deadlifting near my max. Not sure what causes it, but I hear it from a lot of people who lift very heavy.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    this happend to me in the begining it was mixture of my blood preshure and sugure level. i'd say take some fruit and eat before you exercise it helps and are you standing up fast that causes it to
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

I don't, can't afford one. It doesn't usually happen with cardio, though, just when I'm doing strength training, although I'm sure there are many here that would not consider what I do to be strength training :blushing:

You can't afford one? I am on a tight budget, but I still got myself the Polar FT4. Best $60 I ever spent. You dont' have to get crazy one if you can't afford it, there are lower end ones at Walmart for like $25.
  • jordanlell
    Options
    I have not seen a doctor yet, but I plan to. I eat plenty, usually I have some kind of snack of around 200-300 cals an hour or so before hand, and I used to assume it was dehydration, so I'm very careful now about drinking lots and lots of water. I think it might have something to do with blood pressure, I tend to the low side usually and I think it drops when I workout.
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Happens to me as well....but its long after my workout is complete....never during
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Do you breathe while working out? It may sound silly, but a lot of people hold their breath while doing an intense workouts. I had found out that it was the reason why I was getting splitting headaches during and after a workout. the headache would last for hours afterwards as well!
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got a heart rate monitor for $40 or $50 at Costo....btw I get a headache when I run if my heart rate gets too high so it was a great investment...if I see that my heart rate is getting too high I slow down.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I suggest going to your doctor. It could be many things, but you cannot be diagnosed here.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    I felt dizzy, and for a second I thought I was going to get sick. But it passed and I knew I just over did it. It was my second workout and forgot I wasn't 25 anymore. Plus I didn't cool down. Haven't had a problem since. If it keeps happening to you. Then you should see a doctor..If you can't afford a doctors visit. Check to see if there is a fee clinic in your area..
  • jordanlell
    Options
    I suggest going to your doctor. It could be many things, but you cannot be diagnosed here.

I'm not asking for a diagnosis. Just some advice on whether it would be unsafe to continue. I'm seeing the doctor soon.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy when I lift heavy, but only towards the end of a set. It usually only lasts for a few seconds after I'm done. I second checking with a Dr.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Add salt. Keep up the water intake, if not increase it even more. I have a nervous system disorder and have the issue you are having on a constant basis. If you eat something salty before your workout (like a dill pickle, for instance)...it may help.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I'm not asking for a diagnosis. Just some advice on whether it would be unsafe to continue. I'm seeing the doctor soon.

If it's so bad that your laying down when your done, then I would say yes, stop when you get dizzy.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you pass out from the dizziness, you could get seriously hurt from a fall. I know someone who got a concussion that way.

Hopefully the doctor has an easy solution for you to feel better. Good luck!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Depends on how dizzy you are, maybe you are lifting too much? I would just stop for a second, take a few deep breaths, close my eyes and if it doesnt go away then I dont know what to tell you. A doctor is definitely going to be the biggest help on this question.