Recipe sites?

Options
amk44
amk44 Posts: 159
I've been trying to find some low calorie recipe sites that list the nutritional info for their recipes and use easily obtainable ingredients, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Can anyone recommend any?

Plus, I'm interested in learning about substitutions, and recipes that use the substitutions,such as:
- applesauce, mashed bananas, or mashed prunes for oil (and maybe a substitute for eggs??)
- fruit concentrates for sugar
- two egg white for a whole egg

If anyone knows of a site that has Low Calorie healthy recipes (especially one that uses healthy substitutions), I hope you will reply to this thread. Seems like when I find an interesting recipe, I then discover that it doesn't have the nutritional info. I know I can modify recipes, but I also know that when I modify a recipe its caloric/nutritional content changes, so I wish I could find some recipes that show their nutritional value that I wouldn't have to modify. I also know I can go to various sites to insert a recipe's ingredients to get the total nutritional value which I can then retype into mfp, but that is always time-consuming for me.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas...

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find some low calorie recipe sites that list the nutritional info for their recipes and use easily obtainable ingredients, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Can anyone recommend any?

Plus, I'm interested in learning about substitutions, and recipes that use the substitutions,such as:
    - applesauce, mashed bananas, or mashed prunes for oil (and maybe a substitute for eggs??)
    - fruit concentrates for sugar
    - two egg white for a whole egg

If anyone knows of a site that has Low Calorie healthy recipes (especially one that uses healthy substitutions), I hope you will reply to this thread. Seems like when I find an interesting recipe, I then discover that it doesn't have the nutritional info. I know I can modify recipes, but I also know that when I modify a recipe its caloric/nutritional content changes, so I wish I could find some recipes that show their nutritional value that I wouldn't have to modify. I also know I can go to various sites to insert a recipe's ingredients to get the total nutritional value which I can then retype into mfp, but that is always time-consuming for me.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas...

This should help you when you make changes in recipes, you simply add the ingredients and it calculates the calories per serving etc. :flowerforyou:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

MFP has lots of great recipes in the recipe section and many have the nutrional info.

here's a few sites with some great recipes that are healthy that come to mind:
    SparkPeople.com
    Cooking Light
    Hungry Girl

You'll find so many more by Googling you'll be amazed!:drinker:

Have fun!:tongue:
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I personally like http://www.recipezaar.com/ because they have a great recipe sifter and you can see the nutritional information for all the recipes.
  • nbreitmayer
    Options
    You can try a site that I like a lot it's eatingwell.com they have a ton of different recipes that utilize inexpensive easy to find ingredients and their delicious... they also include serving size and nutritional facts for all recipes which is nice if you look under the "menu" tab on their site they actually have a 28 day weight loss plan that goes off of 1200, 1500, and 1800 calories and gives you a variety of meal options.. and it's free!!!
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also like recipezaar.com. It's not specifically a healthy recipe website but they have healthy recipes on there. I just do searches using the words "low fat" or "light". Cookinglight.com is another good one.
  • victorycross
    victorycross Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i stumbld on this site today...thought it was pretty good though it didn't provide all nutritional details and it's not really a recipe site generally...

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/04/26/what_do_300_calorie_meals_look_like.php
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    www.cookinglight.com

Great healthy recipes, cooking tips, etc.
  • lfreshour
    lfreshour Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    www.3fatchicks.com and http://www.cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/ are ones that I use a lot...also use the recipe calculator at http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp if I'm unsure, or want to check a recipe I already have.
  • amk44
    Options
    Thanks everyone. - I'll bookmark these to peruse. Yesterday I downloaded a free trial of BigOven software, and it looks pretty good, too. Can't wait till I have time to check these sites out and play with BigOven. (haha - when I'm playing with organizing recipes, etc, I'm NOT eating.) Thanks, again, everyone for the great suggestions.
  • kiwiraz
    kiwiraz Posts: 34
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic also has a lot of recipes available

http://mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RecipeIndex
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump to add more tomorrow :drinker:
  • amk44
    Options
    I visited www.3fatchicks.com recommended by lfreshour and it was an awesome site. I got caught up perusing the site. It was great how they provide the nutritional info for the recipes without having to research it somewhere else. I've printed a couple of the recipes to try. They sound tasty and it was good to see recipes that were obviously trying to be healthy low calorie ones. A big thanks to all for sharing ideas about recipe sites.
  • kimberlymejia
    Options
    I love 3fatchicks.com! Favorite place to go to find recipes. Also, www.eatcleandiet.com is a site that has a blog spot called "The Kitchen Table" that people post recipes on that I have found some pretty good ones on there, but I can't remember if they post the nutrition information.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    One of my new fave discoveries [thanks to someone here who posted this link] is...

eatbetteramerica.com

Fantastic recipes. A lot of them are "healthified" as they call it. Ive tried a few from the site and they've all turned out well.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    One of my new fave discoveries [thanks to someone here who posted this link] is...

eatbetteramerica.com

Fantastic recipes. A lot of them are "healthified" as they call it. Ive tried a few from the site and they've all turned out well.

Awesome site, love it as well! :wink:
  • KDB187
    KDB187 Posts: 6
    Options
    www.sparkrecipes.com

It too is a free calorie counter website like MFP, but you should be able to access their recipe page without being a member. It also has where you can enter your own recipe to figure out the nutrition information. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • lcur7916
    lcur7916 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A couple of Australian sites:

www.taste.com.au - thousands of recipes, including low fat and low kj recipe collections
    www.healthyfoodguide.com.au

Enjoy!
  • bowbee
    bowbee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump
  • DreamBig
    DreamBig Posts: 2
    Options
    bumpity bump bump!