Bigger than I've ever been....

Options
I quit smoking a couple of years ago, took a job that kept me from home nearly 12 hours a day, and pretty much gave up all pretense of exercise. Now I've gone from a size 7 to a size I've never been in my life and I've come to realize that if I don't stop doing this, I'm going to balloon up to the point of no return.

Ironically enough, I was probably healthier when I was smoking because at that point, I still cared what I looked like and I exercised like a mad woman. To say I've let myself go would be putting it mildly.

To top it all off, I moved to a new state 5 weeks ago, started a new job, took on my handicapped sister in law, yanked my son out of the only high school he's known, moving him to a small town in Oregon, and left my honey in CA to sell our house and finish his teaching contract.

I've made the first step of joining the gym here in town with my 16 year old son, the walking food furnace. Tonight we went through some testing, and I endured some poking and prodding of my fat and a rather public weigh in with the hopes of beginning a 90 day program to begin the process of getting my life back (while my son strength trains for football).

I need some motivation and accountability please! I promise to provide the same in return. I have the added bonus of being a hormonal 50--so ladies facing the same sort of obstacles, please feel free to friend me and we'll commiserate about how much our fat cells seem to enjoy hanging around with our fluctuating hormones.

Replies

• chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!!!!!!!! Being overweight is way more healthy than smoking! I'm a "clean air breather" also. Cutting down on calories is easier than quitting, just track calories and work on burning more than you take in. Good luck!
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Away from home about 12 hours, ex-smoker, 47. Close enough? :smile: Welcome! Sending FR.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Hello and welcome . You've got a lot happening but you have come to the right place. You can do it!
  • SWilcox818
    SWilcox818 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Oregon! :-) You've taken the first steps to "finding yourself" again - great job! Feel free to add me if you like.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Sounds like you're on the right track! I'm here if you'd like!!!!
  • jordad02
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step in reaching out to others for help. I totally understand how fast weight can get out of hand. I also work at home, very long hours. But with some changes and decisions that I have made in my life I have gotten myself back on the right track to healthy eating. I just now have to put the time in for my exercise programs. I will be more than happy to help you through this journey.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I sent u a private message :)