gym induction

Options
Hi all,
I'm 26, 5'4" and around 215lbs which has mainly gone on in the last year due to illness and medication. Now I am healthier I am ready not only to lose weight but also to get fitter and healthier. I'm in this for the long haul as I'm sick of being chunky!! I have booked a gym induction for today which is a group session followed by a 1-1 with a trainer to sort out a personalised plan. What I would like help with its what questions should I ask them, what to expect, and how to make the most of the time I have with them. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I noticed you're not a million miles from my part of the world, which gym is it? Just asking as I've used a few round here, so can give you something specific, if it's one that I know.

Really, you should ask the questions that you want to know the answer to, not what we think you should ask.
    The one thing worth keeping in mind is that if you want to get into some strength training, make sure you push it a bit with the trainer, and ask to be shown the free weights. Otherwise they will probably just show you cardio machines and weight machines, based on the old assumption that only guys can lift weights!

As for what to expect, nothing too exciting, most likely they will just walk you round the gym in a group, showing you all the machines and weights, maybe getting a member of the group or the trainer to demonstrate them. After for the 1-1 most likely the trainer will mostly sit down with you, talk about your goals and what you want to achieve, take measurements etc and then come up with a plan, maybe even demonstrating the parts of it. This is the part to push weights and strength training, if that is your desire.
  • spiritedsaviour
    spiritedsaviour Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to woking leisure centre as I live in old woking and as a student get a decent price membership too! From what I've been reading around the forums etc, to lose weight is 80% diet but to "tone" and increase fitness is down to the gym. Well I'm happy to do anything in the gym that's required in order to get healthier. When I sit down with the trainer, I'll let them know I kinda have no idea what I'm doing but know that I want to change!!
  • HelloDan
    Options
    I've never used the fitness centre, just a room used by the weightlifting team there, which I don't think is open to the public, so can't say much else really.

Did you look at Surrey Sports Park in Guildford? They do some student deals, and it's an awesome gym.
  • spiritedsaviour
    spiritedsaviour Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did look at the sports park as I'm a student at surrey uni. The only reason I chose the gym nearer home is my brother goes there so it's handy having the accountability of him dragging me there on off days. Also because it's just round the corner from me, it means that during holidays etc it's less of a journey than to Guildford = still no excuse!!! do you still do weights there?
  • HelloDan
    Options
    Not regularly, I mostly train at the sports park, as it's a nicer facility.