kale

Options

Replies

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just use it in salads, in place of other greens...and I've used it in green smoothies, and you can make pesto out of it!
    Kale chips are awesome! Shredded kale is also good on pizza-- it gets all crispy and crunchy.
    I definitely have to try the pizza idea, sounds yummy!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    .......Sand and "other stuff" can cling in those nooks and crannies.

A caterpillar is a food bonus! Low fat, hight protein......:tongue:
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    blurgh. i think its the devils own vegetable. tastes like stewed yuck. but i hate cooked spinach also so its not surprising.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

lol, stop hating on the kale!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    My favorite is making a Kale and mango salad.

Drizzle some olive oil, lemon juice and seasalt on the kale and massage it for 2-3 minutes, turns it from bitter and tough to silky and sweet.

Dice up a mango and throw in

make a dressing of lemon juice, honey, pepper and olive oil, add and toss and then top with some pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

lol, stop hating on the kale!

I don't mind kale - like savoy cabbage, but tougher does sum it up though....:bigsmile:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump. And, I like it sauteed with garlic, olive oil and a little red pepper flake.
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    guinea pig food :smile:
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    kale chips = amazing
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I only know it prepared the traditional Dutch way: boerenkool met worst.
    Boil the chopped kale with potatoes till they're all done. Pour of water, then mash it up with some butter, milk, salt & pepper. Serve with smoked Dutch sausage ("rookworst") and a generous dollup of sharp musterd.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's a great time of year to try kale.. Winter kale is sooooo much nicer and less bitter than summer kale. I just chop mine up, remove the center rib and toss it in soup and cook for 15 minutes. Tastes like firmer spinach only it doesn't taste like blood to me.. spinach always tastes like blood to me for some reason.

I'm also a huge fan of juicing so I like to add kale to pretty much any juice for a nice boost of micronutrients.

Kale chips? Spray with olive oil. sprinkle with sea salt and dehydrate (however you want, in your dehydrator, or in an oven that is on the lowest setting)... Just don't let the kale cook.. you want it dry, not burned.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Kale is really easy to grow. You can even use a large olla for a few stems. Slashes the cost. If you have a flower garden, it is often used an as ornamental for its pretty, dark green color.
  • weaselle16
    weaselle16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are lovely, although they make your kitchen smell really gross :(

Grease a baking tray, cut kale into bite sized pieces, sprinkle on a little salt and bake for about 10 minutes or until crispy. Yum!
  • spartans1958
    Options
    I use kale, spinach and other stuff and make a green drink, yum:smile:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I only know it prepared the traditional Dutch way: boerenkool met worst.
    Boil the chopped kale with potatoes till they're all done. Pour of water, then mash it up with some butter, milk, salt & pepper. Serve with smoked Dutch sausage ("rookworst") and a generous dollup of sharp musterd.

OOh, kind of a spin on Irish colcannon (potatoes and cabbage)! I'll have to give this a try-- especially with the mustard!
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP! (mmmmmmmmm!!!!!):

The basics are kale, kidney or canneloni beans, potatoes, and chorizo or linguica (spicy sausage) in a chicken or beef stock with onions, garlic, and spices. Some people add turnips, carrots, or celery; but I don't.

I make a lower-fat vegetarian version by adding a healthy dose of chorizo-like spices to the cooking liquid, and then adding soy chorizo just before serving (it gets kinda mushy if it's added too early.)

There are as many versions of this soup as there are recipes for chili, but for inspiration see:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/hearty-portuguese-kale-soup-82886
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/portuguese-kale-soup-recipe/index.html
    http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipes/search/onerecipe.php?number=18637
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!
    I've been struggling trying to incorporate Kale more into my diet and I've had a few epic fails. I don't like cooked spinich because of the smell (I think it smells like seaweed) and the texture (slimey).
    HOWEVER!!!!
    I had an EPIC WIN last night with a Sweet Potato, Kale, Ham, Mushroom, Cheese Egg (White) Bake I found on www.anutrionisteats.com
    The serving is HUGE and 42grams of Protein and 17 carbs. It was incredibly good and I added a little Salsa on it.
    Super Easy prep, big portion and freezable!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I rough chop 6 cups or so and add it to any soup in the last 10 mins.

Lentil soup with curry
    Ham and pinto bean soup
    Easy vegetable soup

Or chop it a little finer and add it to my stir fries - adds a lot of great nutrition and sustenance to a meal. Hearty and delicious!
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Savory Bean and Kale Soup

Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients
    3 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
    1 15-ounce can tomato puree
    1 15-ounce can small white beans or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup uncooked barley (original recipe calls for brown rice if preferred)
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    8 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale leaves (also can use spinach)
    Finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions
    1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine vegetable broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
    2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting 5 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
    3. Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Nutrition facts per serving: 150 calories, 9g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 3g fat (1g saturated), 8g fiber