Need A Bit Of Help...

ellipse22
ellipse22 Posts: 137
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
with what I should do with toning etc.

I've just joined a gym and although I have an assessment to do I am not financially able to go with a personal trainer.

I have 5lbs to go to my first goal of 130lbs (I'm 5'7") and have just been doing either the bike or treadmill for now. I absolutely want to do some strength training and toning. I have intentions of joining a few classes too. I just want to be a bit more fit & toned with a few more lbs to lose.

I need suggestions on where I can get some info online. I've been looking and I feel lost!!

Any info you care to share would be awesome & greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    What classes do they offer at your gym?

The only weights I do is Pump class. The class uses different weights on a barbell (the long one). We go through a warm up, then squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs. There's a variety of exercises in each group, but we do about 150-200 reps, so the weight is very light (I squat with 25kg / 55lb, compared to 80kg / 176lb when I'm doing sets of 20). Its excellent for strengthening and toning.

The other thing I do is yoga / pilates / taichi (in my gym this is offered as 'Body Balance"). I find this at least as effective.

The other classes they offer are cardio things, so good for keeping fit and trim, but not much good for toning after you get to that last 5/10lbs.

Other than that, try HIIT if you've got good fitness. I basically do sprints, flat out in the park for 30 seconds, then take 30 seconds rest before the next one. I've been building up and got to 8 yesterday. The next step for that is to reduce the recovery time to 20 seconds then I can think about Tabata.

If any of this sounds good for you, go for it!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I also would say circuit training-type classes. Think Body Pump or anything that includes the word "bootcamp" would probably be a good fit. Basically, you want to move quickly between exercises with little rest in between so as to keep your heart rate up, which will increase the fat burning potential during these workouts while also maintaining your muscle. Taking a class will help make sure that you are doing the moves right.

I'm currently doing all of my working out at home with circuit workouts that I design myself based on what I see on http://bodyrock.tv -- so I am also recommending that site to EVERYONE. I think it is great and full of great ideas for exercises that can be done in a gym or at home with minimal equipment.
This discussion has been closed.