Call Schedule = More Calories?

CharityD
CharityD Posts: 193
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I work a 24 hour call schedule and can be up/awake/working for 24-36 hours. On the days that I don't sleep, do I get more calories? I would love to hear thoughts on this!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I would stick to the regular 24-hr day and record your calories on the days they were actually eaten. This will keep it less disruptive for the days when you don't have to work a call schedule.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    do you frequently have to go 24-36 hours without sleep?!?!?!
    I would think that would suck quite a bit, for your mental and physical health.

I don't know the true answer to your question, but I will definitely say if you are on duty and CAN'T sleep, and you are truly HUNGRY and not just bored, then by all means EAT, even if it puts you over. It's just a number. And if you are hungry and don't eat you will feel weak and more tired and, if you are like me, probably get irritable too! :grumble:
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    you would definetly need more cal on those days because you burn more calories when you're awake than when you're asleep. Not sure how to calculate how many, though. My guess would be only a couple hundred more at most
  • CharityD
    do you frequently have to go 24-36 hours without sleep?!?!?!
    I would think that would suck quite a bit, for your mental and physical health.

Yep! But it's just a few days a month. But I do tend to eat an extra meal in there somewhere so it always puts me way over.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    I'm on call every 5 week and have to do the same but i think it all washes out. I usually end up over on the days I am up 24-36 hours but the day after way under because I've been sleeping for most of the day or if I dont get to sleep I'm too tired to eat....I just make sure I continue to log on and in the cals I do eat.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    my guess is that you could go over by 300-400 and not think twice about it. After all, you are awake and walking around instead of sleeping, which burns more so it washes out.

If you want the numbers to stay in the green, calculate a few hundred "walking calories" into your exercise journal on that day of the month so it comes out right.
    :)
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Absolutely you can eat more cals. I don't see why a little algebra can't be your friend. Determine how many cals/hour you burn. Then eat the extra cals. Not from your BMR, but from your TDEE. :-)
  • CharityD
    I love algebra! Now why didn't I think of that? Maybe because I've been up for too long...:yawn:
This discussion has been closed.