Self sabotage

I am my own worst enemy, as soon as I start doing well and lose weight I then end up doing something stupid and then throw it all away. Usually after 2 or 3 weeks of doing well. I started on 7th Jan and then today my eating has gone completely off key already......

Anyone else do the same?

Replies

• Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Oh yes. I get cocky and think, "this getting in shape stuff is easy, I don't have to work at it". Usually after I've had a good weigh-in I feel like that and think a chocolate sundae would be nice as an extra and screw the calorie count.

What I'm doing this time is, anytime I feel like that, I dig out a pair of jeans that I used to be able to wear and try them on. They still don't fit and that usually brings me back to reality fairly quickly.
  • Absolutely! I've been doing this for about a year and a half, and I've fallen off the wagon multiple times. The important part is just getting past your slip-ups, moving on rather than letting them control you. Okay, you ate badly. Don't punish yourself, or guilt yourself, don't use it as an excuse to continue to eat badly/overindulge for the rest of the day because "today is a total loss anyway" (I've justified binges that way). Just be mindful, eat better for the rest of the day, and get in your exercise, and maybe a little extra. If it gets you too down, try looking at the weekly summaries, rather than the daily summary - can really help put things in perspective (only available on the MFP app, not the website, bah).

One bad day is not the end of the world or the end of your fitness goals. Just the other day I ate 10 chocolate chip cookies for around 1300 calories - almost my entire net calorie goal. I worked my butt off to compensate, and moved on. It has taken me a long time to get over the mindset where I would beat myself up for every mistake or failure, and I still feel guilty when I reeaaally overindulge, but I know that giving up will certainly not make me feel any better!
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    I think for me it is stopping the slip ups ruining the good work and moving on. In the past I have slipped up and then given up, so I need to remain in control!
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    The best thing I read from someone else on MFP about messing up one day was, "If you break one dish, you don't throw out the whole crockery set!"
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Oh yes. I get cocky and think, "this getting in shape stuff is easy, I don't have to work at it". Usually after I've had a good weigh-in I feel like that and think a chocolate sundae would be nice as an extra and screw the calorie count.

What I'm doing this time is, anytime I feel like that, I dig out a pair of jeans that I used to be able to wear and try them on. They still don't fit and that usually brings me back to reality fairly quickly.

And This

The best thing I read from someone else on MFP about messing up one day was, "If you break one dish, you don't throw out the whole crockery set!"

Eat things that help you fell fuller starting with and at breakfast. Think Protein for each meal and work your menu from there. You will get the hang of it.
  • JABGoochie
    JABGoochie Posts: 78 Member
    I am my own worst enemy, as soon as I start doing well and lose weight I then end up doing something stupid and then throw it all away. Usually after 2 or 3 weeks of doing well. I started on 7th Jan and then today my eating has gone completely off key already......

Anyone else do the same?

im there with you - lost 4lbs over the last 3 weeks then put it all back on apprently - although ot could be water weight etc - but yep pisses me off
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I often add something to my tracker, then look at it and think - that's those 20 mins I spent walking at lunchtime - and take it off. I also use it as a motivator - if I want a glass of wine I need to do a workout so I've got the calories for it. That's where I find this site so much better than just "dieting". If you look at extra indulgences as "my efforts wasted" before you have them then you're less likely to have them (or that's what I find).

I know we're having home-made pizza on Saturday, so I'm trying to be under for the whole week to give me some spare calories on Saturday, and if the weather is nice we're aiming for a morning out sightseeing (and burning calories).
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    First thing to remember is you are not alone. Most of us have done or are still doing the same thing as you. We are here for you.

Next is that everyone has different motivations and what motivates one may not motivate another. So what was the reason you first started this journey? Does that reason still hold true now? Post your reason all over the house especially where ever food is kept. You might also try buying one clothing item that is just a little to snug. Hang it on your closet door so you see it all the time. This will help remind you of your next goal.

As to why you are doing this. Again there are as many reasons to this question as there are members here. One of the biggest reasons though is the fact that when we try to lose weight, we tend to deprive ourselfs of things we enjoy. So when we finally give in to a bad temptation, we over do it. So try to find ways to put the foods you most enjoy back into your life. Find some new recipes that are healthier but still have the same flavor. For instance. I love Mexican Food. OMG - It is on the top of my food list. So I found a great website called Skinny Tastes and she had several mexican food recipes that were very good and much lower in calories and fat. Now Mexican food is not out of my reach and keeps me from feeling like im punishing myself.

No matter what, always remember that you are worth the effort and if you have a bad day or even a bad week, you are so worth the effort to get back on track
  • Flossie1981
    Thanks for all the advice... it's always nice to know that I am not the only one that struggles!! :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I don't need to buy anything - I have a wardrobe full of "snug" clothes. (not doing up counts as snug, right?)
  • Flossie1981
    My wardrobe ranges from a size 22 down to a size 10.... I have lots of snug clothes, and some I can even get a leg in to :laugh: