Still not really losing

Options
I started with a 1200 calorie a day diet while I lost weight I was really tired and miserable. I uped my calories to 1350 which still allowed me to loose but I felt better overall. Lost about 4 lbs and now I'm starting to gain a bit back. I am still sticking to my calorie intake most the time being a bit under and working out pretty hard almost every day. I am a 23 year old female who is 5 foot 6 inches. Any advice would be great. Thanks everyone !

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started with a 1200 calorie a day diet while I lost weight I was really tired and miserable. I uped my calories to 1350 which still allowed me to loose but I felt better overall. Lost about 4 lbs and now I'm starting to gain a bit back. I am still sticking to my calorie intake most the time being a bit under and working out pretty hard almost every day. I am a 23 year old female who is 5 foot 6 inches. Any advice would be great. Thanks everyone !

at 5ft6 and 130somethign pounds you are not overweight, you just maybe need to 'tone up' a bit....

my advice would be to set your calorie goal at lose 1/2lb, eat back your exercise calories (if you dont already) and try and make sure you eat plenty of protein and good fat, aim to get your 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and look at a decent full body strength training routine so lose a bit of bodyfat.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are gaining Lean Muscle to me.

Keep it up :D
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Haed/desk. Yeah because it's soooo easy to gain lean muscle when your a girl. We just have to look at a pair of 3k pink dumbbells and thats it, we buff up straight away!! :explode:

OP I'd work out your TDEE and take about 15% - 20% from it to produce a small deficit, rather than trying to stick to around 1300.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

you can gain lean muscle by eating 1300 calories?!

and there was me thinking lifting heavy and eating in a calorie excess built muscle... how silly of me!
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

Haed/desk. Yeah because it's soooo easy to gain lean muscle when your a girl. We just have to look at a pair of 3k pink dumbbells and thats it, we buff up straight away!! :explode:

OP I'd work out your TDEE and take about 15% - 20% from it to produce a small deficit, rather than trying to stick to around 1300.

What on earth are you chatting?

1350 is a good rough estimate for her age and height, so eating less will do no good, 1350 does sound like a good number as her TDEE will be around 1600.

So if she is 'working out pretty hard every day' then it is quite likely that she is gaining Lean Muscle, your assumption of whatever you thought i was getting at is totally misguided and immature.
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

and there was me thinking lifting heavy and eating in a calorie excess built muscle... how silly of me!

I eat below my TDEE and still gain Lean Muscle.

Some people are so dumb on this forum, you could be 4 foot and eating 1300 calories is excess, the number is determined on other factors
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    are you eating your exercise calories, especially when you are working out as hard as you are? What does MFP suggest for cal target + exercise?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Some people are so dumb on this forum, you could be 4 foot and eating 1300 calories is excess, the number is determined on other factors

you may well be 4 foot, but the OP clearly isnt, she says she is 5ft6, so i doubt 1300 is an excess...
  • nyemu
    nyemu Posts: 43
    Options
    How are you doing in terms of inches lost? I haven't lost any scale weight in the past 3 weeks but my clothes are practically falling off.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you gained a lot overnight, it's probably water.

If you've been gaining gradually over a period of time, you're probably eating more than you realize. Are you weighing/measuring everything?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Also you're already at a healthy weight. Why not focus on body composition rather than weight loss?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

I think you need to rethink who you're calling dumb. The OP said she's 5'6", not 4 feet. Unless she is not getting out of bed each day, 1,300 is too low. I'm 5'4" and eating an average of 2,000 calories. I'm gaining lean mass and dropping fat, but it is a slow and tedious process that requires lifting very heavy weights (8-10 rep range).
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

I think you need to rethink who you're calling dumb. The OP said she's 5'6", not 4 feet. Unless she is not getting out of bed each day, 1,300 is too low. I'm 5'4" and eating an average of 2,000 calories. I'm gaining lean mass and dropping fat, but it is a slow and tedious process that requires lifting very heavy weights (8-10 rep range).

Le Sigh!

Who ever said that the OP is 4 foot? I was proving the poster wrong of the assumption that 1300 can not be excessive by providing an example.

The OP looks in good shape, and just toning up would be great, therefore weight gain is possible
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    [

at 5ft6 and 130somethign pounds you are not overweight, you just maybe need to 'tone up' a bit....

THIS!
    I am 5'4" 3/4 and my original and healthy weight is between 125 to 130 lbs... Tone it up!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    To the ladies to are saying 1300 is not enough, do you mean 1300 net or total? I am asking because I am in her same boat.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Le Sigh!

Who ever said that the OP is 4 foot? I was proving the poster wrong of the assumption that 1300 can not be excessive by providing an example.

i think you'll find you told the OP that she was gaining lean muscle on 1300 cals....

yet now you're saying that at 5ft6, 1300 cals is not excessive, so that wouldnt be the case?
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

Le Sigh!

i think you'll find you told the OP that she was gaining lean muscle on 1300 cals....

yet now you're saying that at 5ft6, 1300 cals is not excessive, so that wouldnt be the case?

You CAN gain Lean Muscle on 1300. You don't need to eat in excess to gain... it's called Newbie Gains
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that toning is more important than loosing. I would focus on inches lost rather than weight loss right now, ultimately muscles burns fat quicker. When I was within pounds of my goal a couple years ago, I started to focus on inches because my weight loss was .5 per week. I felt much much better when I tracked inches lost, the results were more encouraging than the weight loss. Good Luck!
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Le Sigh!

You CAN gain Lean Muscle on 1300. You don't need to eat in excess to gain... it's called Newbie Gains

to gain muscle yes but you should still lose weight.

amirite?
  • Bastiencade
    Options

Le Sigh!

Your condescending attitude isn't doing much for your argument. You should provide some evidence, otherwise it's a baseless claim. Saying eating calories above 1300 = excess is just funny.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    it's called Newbie Gains

why didnt you just say newbie gains in the first place... would have saved a LOT of time....