Have you ever lost a loved one?

Options
has anybody every lost someone really special to them? i lost my dad when i was 2 months old so i never really knew him which is something that bothers me everyday. And i recently lost my uncle which is how i got started on here. but sometimes i get very upset and dont feel like doing my workout or i feel like eating a whole bucket of ice cream. how do you stay on a good fitness track when you are on an emotional roller coaster?

Replies

• karen366
    karen366 Posts: 141
    Options
    I am really sorry for your loss. Yes, I have lost a couple of people very close to me. My father died July 2002 and my son died unexpectedly (7 days old) in Oct of 2002. Although these losses are almost 8 years ago, there are still days that it is painful to do anything..losing a loved one is something you never get over, the pain isn't as raw all of the time and the periods between the moments of sheer agony are farther and farther apart, but there is always that loss. Just remember your loved ones would want you to be healthy and happy. Keep healthy in their memory. You are here on this earth for a purpose and you need a strong body and mind to do what it is you need to do.

Hope this helps in some way.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother died 5 years ago, and for the last several years she had dementia, so didn't always know exactly who I was. But I think of her every day, and there is often things that I wish I could tell her.
    But I know she would be proud of what I am doing, AND I know that her life and my mothers life would have been much better if they had been able to find a way to eat healthy and lose the weight. Mom has even had her stomach stapled (early 1990's) but never lost any significant weight. Now her health is so bad that she is almost homebound and uses a wheelchair often.
    :heart: :flowerforyou: I don't know if that helps or not. But I do know what it is like to miss someone.
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    YES!! my moms boyfriend who was like a dad/grandpa died in oct/08 from cancer. the hardest part was when we found out he wasnt going to beat it and had 2 weeks left to live. telling my kids that what the worst day of my life!! when i told them, they couldve ask me for ANYTHING in the world and they would have gotten it!!!

he planned a last min trip to disney world on july 4th for a whole week...i think at that moment he knew he wasnt going to make it. that was the best trip of MY life (my girls' too of course). i plan to take them back in a few years when my 6yr old is a little older.

i know its hard to resist things when your emotions are all over the place....just know that eating that ice cream isnt going to change anything except your weight!!! if you REALLY need to eat it, try a lower fat version or just have a little!!!!

i hope you fee better soon!!
  • allyson223
    Options
    For me working out always became an escape. Especially after I lost a close friend of mine who had been a mentor for me. It hadn't been before but working through emotions the gym or field or wherever I was became an awesome place to escape.

No matter if I was happy or sad I just wanted to get away. It was a time to think, or the opposite; a time to just run or lift or anything physical to just not think. If you can think of working out as an outlet for yourself and and asset to you maybe that would help. That's what I did, it wasn't even for the workout but just for the emotional aspect, but it's a great bonus.

I am sorry for you loss. I hope that you can see working out as an outlet not one more thing you have to do in the hectic time. Best of luck and you have my prayers.
  • Smigs87
    Smigs87 Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks ladies, hearing other peoples stories always helps because then at least you know your not the only one going hough things like this. and Karen i cant imagine how hard it would be to lose a child, you must be a very strong women to still be out living your llife.
  • doingit4myprincesses
    doingit4myprincesses Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I lost my great grandpa 5 years ago in April. It has been tough but I know he isn't suffering anymore. I understand the emotional rollercoaster eating. For a long time that is how I dealt with my depression in life and that was my coping strategy. I am slowly working on getting out of the habit of doing that. I have recently became friends with a co-worker who has been through similar things in her life and has successfully overcome those things. She introduced me to this site and has helped by listening when I need someone to talk to and also advice on diets. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for her I wouldn't have stuck to the diet.

My advice to you is to find someone to talk to instead of burying your feelings with food. Even in you would have to find a therapist or something. Or find someone on here that is willing to listen. I know sometimes its hard to do the exercising but I have found I feel better after I do. Seems to make my depression less. And that I am accomplishing something.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!!!

~tressa
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Just remember your loved ones would want you to be healthy and happy. Keep healthy in their memory. You are here on this earth for a purpose and you need a strong body and mind to do what it is you need to do.

I lost my mom to cancer in November of 2002 ( I was two months pregnant at the time, I found out that I was expecting four days before my mom found out her cancer was terminal ). I didn't tell her I was pregnant because I know she wouldn't live to see her grandchild born, but somehow she knew because her last words to me were "Take care of that grandbaby!" :brokenheart: :cry: Not a day goes by that I don't miss her. Her death left a huge void in me that I don't think will ever be completely filled. Her passing was a big part of my motivation to get healthy. I want to be around for my kids and I know she would want me to be, too.
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss, I also lost my father when i was 7, and also lost my uncle whom was like a father to me. You have to realize that your father and uncle would want you to be healthy and live a long happy life. Being healthy and and fit, is a great thing to do for yourself, You will really feel great after you workout. I was an emotional eater, I use to weigh 245 because i ate my feelings. I realized i wanted to live and watch my kids become adults and lost 100lbs. I battle with my weight everyday, But i feel great . When your feeling down try to do some form of excercise, it will release endorphins that makes you happy. I hope that i was of some help to you. Best of luck.