alkaline water & thyroid medication

Options
Hi pls help i started drinking alkaline water 2 months ago and it helps a lot on water retention iam back on my thyroid medication and iam wondering if taking the meds with alkaline water is not good? should i just take the meds with regular water? confused...

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    What is alkaline water? What does it contain? If there's any iron or other minerals it might impact your thyroid meds (iron and other minerals can bind to the thyroid hormone and basically flush it out of your body without absorption).
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would refer this medically related question to a doctor.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    i assume you are taking levothyroxine when you say thyroid medication.

the charge of the water shouldn't matter - but if it has a hight ppm of iodine in it, then I would stop. this is a question for your endocrinologist thought
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thanks guys... yup its levothyroxine i just take it with plain water not alkaline though from my personal experience i feel more lighter when i started drinking alkaline water i dont mix it anymore with my medication:smile:
  • Jennifer217B
    Options
    This is just my opinion but I would not drink too much alkaline water. You want to be somewhere in the middle of alkaline and acidic. Too much either way is not good. As far as thyroid med's, I'm on three, and I don't believe that it would effect them. Here is a decent link, http://www.livestrong.com/article/370249-what-are-the-dangers-in-drinking-alkaline-water/.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion but I would not drink too much alkaline water. You want to be somewhere in the middle of alkaline and acidic. Too much either way is not good. As far as thyroid med's, I'm on three, and I don't believe that it would effect them. Here is a decent link, http://www.livestrong.com/article/370249-what-are-the-dangers-in-drinking-alkaline-water/.

That seems REALLY weird to be on 3 thyroid meds...should be on 2 max (synthetic T3 and synthetic T4 together). What are you taking??