Shin splints

Options
What can be done for shin splints? I've had them forever and I'm sure gaining a lot of weight has only made them worse, but what can be done about it? I've been told to do the elliptical more than the treadmill which I was doing for awhile because every time I was on the treadmill within 20 minutes my shins were on fire. When walking for a long period of time they start to hurt, but not as bad as when I try to jog.
Will I ever be able to be a runner? I knew a girl in high school who had shin splints and ended up on crutches for awhile cause she damaged them badly by pushing through the pain. I definitely don't want to end up in crutches or needing any kind of surgery.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    To heal them, take ibuprofen and ice them for 15 minutes twice a day. Do low impact exercise only until they're fully recovered.

To prevent:
    1. Make sure you're in the right running shoes for you. Get fitted at a proper running shop. Then and only then can you buy the same model cheaper online.
    2. Watch your technique. Beginner runners tend to try to land on their heels. The constant toe-lifting and unnecessarily high impact is one of the biggest causes of shin-splints. Look up mid-foot landing - let your leg swing naturally to under, not in front of your boy, and let your foot land in a relaxed position. You should find you land in your mid-foot naturally.
    3. S-T-R-E-T-C-H! Kneel down on your feet and lean backwards as far as you can, feeling the stretch down the front of your shins.
    4. Strengthen. Every opportunity you get, kick off your shoes and write out the alphabet with your toes. You should feel the muscles down the front of your shins engaging.
    5. Take it steady. If you're not already, use a programme like C25K and take at least three days a week off.

Hope that helps, I've got some ore beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Don't forget to come back and let us know how you get on flowerforyou
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    you can definitely be a runner if you treat them properly. make sure to ice every day, especially if you're sore. do exercises to build your calf muscles to help avoid the pain. make sure you have a properly fitting shoe with the right stability for your arch support needs and the movement of your foot (you can have this evaluated at speciality running stores...call around). stretch all the time. in high school i also wore braces that put pressure on my shins and that helped a lot with just the general discomfort i got from walking around all day. try a couch to 5k program...something that alternates walking and running and take it as slow as you need to just get used to using those muscles again. eventually they will get better. i still have pain from time to time but not nearly to the extent that i did in high school.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    While standing, rotate your foot clockwise for 10 counts (reaaaaaally stretch, don't phone it in), then counter-clockwise for 10 count. The next set, just point and flex 10 times each side. Also lots of stretching and water. This helped me tremendously.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    To heal them, take ibuprofen and ice them for 15 minutes twice a day. Do low impact exercise only until they're fully recovered.

To prevent:
    1. Make sure you're in the right running shoes for you. Get fitted at a proper running shop. Then and only then can you buy the same model cheaper online.
    2. Watch your technique. Beginner runners tend to try to land on their heels. The constant toe-lifting and unnecessarily high impact is one of the biggest causes of shin-splints. Look up mid-foot landing - let your leg swing naturally to under, not in front of your boy, and let your foot land in a relaxed position. You should find you land in your mid-foot naturally.
    3. S-T-R-E-T-C-H! Kneel down on your feet and lean backwards as far as you can, feeling the stretch down the front of your shins.
    4. Strengthen. Every opportunity you get, kick off your shoes and write out the alphabet with your toes. You should feel the muscles down the front of your shins engaging.
    5. Take it steady. If you're not already, use a programme like C25K and take at least three days a week off.

Hope that helps, I've got some ore beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Don't forget to come back and let us know how you get on flowerforyou

I definitely know I have the wrong technique, I've always felt like I put to much pressure down when I just walk, let alone running. I will definitely get fitted for the right shoes and try the other tips. I'm going to need to start real slow because of my shins. Thanks!
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    you can definitely be a runner if you treat them properly. make sure to ice every day, especially if you're sore. do exercises to build your calf muscles to help avoid the pain. make sure you have a properly fitting shoe with the right stability for your arch support needs and the movement of your foot (you can have this evaluated at speciality running stores...call around). stretch all the time. in high school i also wore braces that put pressure on my shins and that helped a lot with just the general discomfort i got from walking around all day. try a couch to 5k program...something that alternates walking and running and take it as slow as you need to just get used to using those muscles again. eventually they will get better. i still have pain from time to time but not nearly to the extent that i did in high school.

Will exercising my calf muscles help? I already have really big tight calf muscles. If the rest of my body toned the way my calves do I'd be in excellent shape. My calves are huge and will probably never get any smaller, but maybe they do need to be strengthened more. It's good to know that things have gotten better for you, that gives me hope! Thanks
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    you can do two major things:

loose weight

run less

one other thing:

train your calves and feet strenght...
    Calisthenics..
    Jump rope
    jumping jacks

those sorts of things will help build up your foot and calf strength
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice above. If you start to look up minimalist running on google, you will see a whole wealth of information on how to land your foot.
  • healthyloserxxx
    Options
    I learned this trick a long time ago and it continues to work. When I get on the treadmill or anywhere I plan to walk, I walk for a minute or two on my tip toes. It must stretch the muscles so that I do not get shin splints. Prior to doing this, I had shin splints all the time, but this does the trick. Try it. Good luck! So simple, but it works.