Are there sample meal days anywhere here.

Options
I have tried calorie counting once before but abandoned it after a few days because I was starving. I have to say I am used to just doing low carb/paleo where I eat very high fat high cal foods and don't pay attention to portion size. So that could account for why I am starving. This time I'd like to give it more of a go.
I see people on here saying staying in their calorie budget is easy and they are satisfied. I'd love to know what they are eating.
Anywhere I could find what a 1400 calorie day looks like? Preferably several days?
Thank you!

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/1400_calorie_diet.htm

ETA: Try and find some friends with same goals as you too!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of sample meal plans but my diary is open if you want to take a look. I'm not logging currently because I'm testing out whether I can eat paleo without logging and maintain my weight (already hit my goal weight a few months back).

If you go back to summer 2012 dates in my diary into fall 2012, there should be some 1300-1400 calorie days. I tend to snack a lot so I did a lot of low calorie foods to keep myself from being hungry.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have tried calorie counting once before but abandoned it after a few days because I was starving. I have to say I am used to just doing low carb/paleo where I eat very high fat high cal foods and don't pay attention to portion size. So that could account for why I am starving. This time I'd like to give it more of a go.
    I see people on here saying staying in their calorie budget is easy and they are satisfied. I'd love to know what they are eating.
    Anywhere I could find what a 1400 calorie day looks like? Preferably several days?
    Thank you!

If you are used to low carb/paleo dieting, why not continue that. I've heard weightloss is effortless with those diets and there is no need to track at all to lose weight
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I just make friends and peek at their diaries. I've found good recipes and combinations. I like to eat real food, but in moderation. It isn't the cleanest, but it is something I can stick to because I don't feel deprived.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I eat in that range, take a look at my dairy if you like. It is open. Lots of food available at 1400. I have been on six months and have lost 28lbs.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any on here - but I also have an open diary and my calories are 1440 for the day. Some days are better than others as you will see (weekends in particular).

I have found the key for me to staying full is more protein and staying hyrdrated.
  • dramaticsoprano
    Options
    You are really on the right track looking for meals that give you examples of what you should be eating to reach 1400 in a healthy way. You won't believe how much broccoli you can eat and hardly have any calories added to your food diary! This is when it becomes fun to count calories because you see you've eaten quite a bit and can still squeeze in a sweet snack like a Hershey's nugget and not exceed your goals. When I try to loose some extra pounds I revert to The Rotation Diet by Martin Katahn which gives very specific meal plans in week 2 that are 1200 calories. It's easy to add a little extra to the portions and at least have a guide to see what healthy eating looks like. The proteins fill you up, the fiber keeps your system cleansed. It's normal everyday food. This diet plan is probably considered a "fad diet" otherwise but it has some basic info that might help.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I recently upped my calories to mid-1300s (started at 1200). A lot of the stuff in my diary is from my recipe section, so individual ingredients aren't usually shown. FWIW, I cook a lot from Cook's Illustrated, which emphasizes flavor and quality ingredients, many of which are fattening. Epicurious is another site I use. Occasionally I'll reduce the fat content by using less oil, but I'm usually pretty faithful to the recipes. The key so far has been portion control--I just can't eat until I'm full (usually matching my husband in quantity). If you like to cook, I highly recommend getting into the recipe part of MFP.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The reason I don't just do paleo or low carb is because with paleo, I will eat like sweet potatoes all day and spaghetti squash all day. I need to learn portion control. And paleo is impossible to do for me on a regular day to day basis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My diary is open...probably more calories than you want to consume, but it'll give you some idea. I manage my calories as well as my macros. Before I started managing my macros I was often hungry, largely because I was pretty carb heavy. Now protein and healthy fats make up about 60% of my diet and carbs only 40% and it works great for me. I'm rarely actually hungry.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    I will be checking out your food diaries to get some ideas, I really like that feature of this site!!
  • cherry5oda
    cherry5oda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    eatthismuch.com, you can enter in how many calories you want and how many meals per day. Sometimes it's a bit weird, like telling me to eat 3 cups of greek yogurt for lunch, but just keep refreshing until you get a day you like.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Thank u, 3 cups of Greek yogurt sounds awesome lol. I will check that out.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You can eat back your exercise calories. That is where you get what you feel you need. If you burn 500 calories, that is 500 calories more food to eat. If you burn 2000 or more calories, have at it! I eat a lot of fruit, kefir, Greek yogurt, beans, wild rices, cheese…. sometimes cereal. And my protein shakes which are full on meals in themselves rather than supplements!
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Wolf, what are macros
  • kmelissa02
    Options
    BUMP
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

If you are used to low carb/paleo dieting, why not continue that. I've heard weightloss is effortless with those diets and there is no need to track at all to lose weight

This is what I do ^
  • mindyc2011
    mindyc2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My diary is open...I eat between 1300-1600 a day...
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I found this online as a sample of a 1500 calorie day. It might give you some ideas..

.Here's a sample day on the Biggest Loser 1500-calorie diet plan:

Breakfast

1/2 cup fresh diced melon
    Oatmeal (1/2 cup dry old-fashioned oatmeal, cooked with 1 tablespoon ground flax and 1 cup water), sprinkled with cinnamon and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts).
    1/2 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
    Mint tea

Midmorning Snack

1 fresh pear, sliced and topped with 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta and drizzled with 1 teaspoon honey

Lunch

Mediterranean turkey pita sandwich made with one 4-inch whole-wheat pita bread, 4 1/2 ounces thinly sliced lean turkey breast, 1/2 roasted red bell pepper, 2 pieces Romaine lettuce and 2 teaspoons mustard
    Sparking water with orange slice

Midafternoon snack

1 nonfat mozzarella string cheese stick
    1 medium orange

Dinner

4 ounces grilled lean flank steak with 2 grilled Roma tomatoes
    Large tossed salad (2 cups mixed greens, 1/4 cup sliced cucumbers,
    1/4 cup sliced mushrooms) with 2 tablespoons light Caesar dressing
    3/4 cup whole wheat couscous
    1 cup nonfat milk

Evening Snack

3/4 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt with 1/4 cup low-fat granola and 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around that (depending on how many exercise calories I have). Friend me and check out my diary if you want.