I'm worried about my daughter

Options
gettingthinner
gettingthinner Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
She has low thryroid and is taking Synthroid and meds for depression and meds for her back pain and she told me that the meds that she takes makes her lose weight. Is there anything I can tell her to make her believe that she can lose weight? She weighs about 220 now and she is 5' 6" tall. She is not very active.

Replies

• gettingthinner
    Options
    She has low thryroid and is taking Synthroid and meds for depression and meds for her back pain and she told me that the meds that she takes makes her lose weight. Is there anything I can tell her to make her believe that she can lose weight? She weighs about 220 now and she is 5' 6" tall. She is not very active.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well, you can have her come on to this site and read peoples sucess stories or if you're using this site to lose weight, you can show her it works and she should join you.
  • stupidrobot
    stupidrobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Follow Skinnier_Me's advice and also ask her doctor to talk to her about it.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I know it is difficult to live with thyroid problems. Sometimes it feels like your the only one living with the symptoms that it can create. I and my whole family have thyroid issues. One thing that we have found that helps is diet. The better your diet is the better you feel. I know that is not just a thyroid thing but it really does make a big difference. Another thing that we have started doing is taking l-tyrosine it is a supplement that works for your thyroid. I am sure you can look it up online. But for me it made the world of difference. I feel better while I am taking it and I feel like I have the energy to go on that walk or to do the housework that needs to be done. It is not impossible to lose weight but it is difficult.

Eve
    jltwedell@msn.com
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So far just getting on this site and giving others encouragement has helped me. I don't feel alone and it is fun to talk about the good and bad about being over weight. It really helps with those depressing moments we all have when we just rather eat something bad to make ourselves feel better. As for meds do your research there are many natural holistic products available. I wish you luck.
  • raine
    raine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    if she has hypo thyroid (like i do), she's gonna be a bit heavier because of the effects it has on the metabolism. the meds for it do help a bit because they're normalizing her thyroid function.
    however, they're not a weight loss solution. if you're concerned, talk to her, don't criticize. we all got like this for a reason. be patient, and just model behaviour. she may follow along, or she may not be ready. but no matter what, having someone always bringing it up or making comments will not help, they may even hurt, her progress.
    good luck
  • gettingthinner
    Options
    Yes, she is hypothyroid. and so am i but my doctor put me on a diet. The fact of the matter is this; I have high blood pressure and I am worried that she will have it too if she keeps gaining weight. I have told her about this sight but she doesn't have the internet right now.
  • brife17
    Options
    my 36 year old sister has hypo thyroid and high blodd pressure due to her last pregnancy. she is on meds for both and she weighs about the same maybe a little more. she isnt very active but we do go for walks together occasionaly. she is losing weight however, du to eating right. which also helps keep her tyroid and blood pressure under control. hope i helped answer your question.
    Bailey
This discussion has been closed.