feeling so frustrated

Options
Hi Guys,
I really need some advice here.

I have been tracking my foods online for more than a couple years at this site and another one before i found MFP, to try and lose 5-10 (max) lbs. And so far, with 1200 cals, I haven't been successful for more than a small amount of time! Recently i raised my cals to 1400, (lose 1/2 lb a week) thinking maybe my metabolism was needing more food.

I am getting so frustrated because I am a runner, I work out well and often, and I really haven't been cheating myself in terms of going over numbers...yet I still have not lost my extra weight. My mom who is knowledgeable in nutrition suggested a high protein diet to switch things up, but i don't know what to do. High protein sounds like a good idea for a bit, but it seems unsustainable to me because I love to eat many fruits. I am also suspected gluten intolerant, so do you think this is a reason I am retaining weight?

I am 5'3" about 128. Any advice you have is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Raleigh

Replies

• dtoscas
    dtoscas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of my co-worker's wife ran into the same problem recently. She's a nurse and tried a different diet called the "Paleolithic" diet. It basically cuts out all processed foods. Read up on it. Apparently after she started that she dropped 10 lbs!!!
  • tinap1
    tinap1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Im in the same boat. I just recently raised my calorie intake to 1400 and im still showing no results. I need to take this diet thing in a new direction.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i tried the high protein in my diet and stayed the same weight for over a month, my nails grew good though:happy: i took out trying to add more protein and started just concentrating on calorie intake and exercise and now i started losing..
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I don't think high protein is necessarily the way to go, I'm a runner too and we need our carbs... first of all are you eating most if not all of your exercise calories? 2nd, is running the only form of exercise you are doing? Once your body gets used to the running it becomes more efficient and not only burns less calories but doesn't let go of weight as easily as it did when you first started. Its important to change things up and cross train, like lifting weights which is also very important. How much are you running? You may want to increase your mileage to help you past the plateau. You don't have much to lose so it will take longer unfortunately but stick with it and you'll get there!

~Leash :heart:
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Until today I have been eating most/all of my exercise cals. Today (since i am home on spring break) I didnt, following my mom's advice... I have about 300 cals left (plus my built in deficit) and i'd get looks from my mom if i went and got a snack...

I am planning on lifting more weights. I currently run 3-6 miles a few times a week, and do elliptical for a couple other days.

Thanks Leash.

Tinap- what are you going to do to change your plan?
    dtoscas- I will definitely look into the paleolithic diet; i believe its basically eating as little processed foods as possible. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone else out there?
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    I have to agree with leash cross training is a good idea. Hit up the weight. You know that muscle weighs more than mass right? I'm just going to go ahead and assume that you do since your mom is a nutritionist. I have never been in the position of losing weight so i really don't know. I'm 104.4Ibs and 5'1.5" so i'm trying to gain 5-10 more pounds.