Strength training--does it burn calories?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If your fitness instructor didn't tell you how many calories it burned over 48hours, what good did he do you?
    Would it matter to you if the number was in the 10's rather than the 100's ?

Number doesn't matter to me.
    She was sharing the different benefits from different types of exercise.
    Cardio burns more initially.
    I do the two consecutively when I work out so in my mind I am getting the benefits of both.
    Not here to argue, just add my two cents :smile:
    There is no clear data on this but there is some EPOC effect. 48 hours is likely stretching it though. Maybe 18 to 24 hours on a diminishing curve but not likely 48.

EPOC?

Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption or as another poster stated, the afterburn effect where you keep burning calories above your normal rate for some period after your workout.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    If your fitness instructor didn't tell you how many calories it burned over 48hours, what good did he do you?

I do the two consecutively when I work out so in my mind I am getting the benefits of both.
    There is no clear data on this but there is some EPOC effect. 48 hours is likely stretching it though. Maybe 18 to 24 hours on a diminishing curve but not likely 48.

EPOC?

Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption or as another poster stated, the afterburn effect where you keep burning calories above your normal rate for some period after your workout.

Thank you
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd think it did, but when I added it to my exercise diary, MFP doesn't add those calories burned to my daily goals. Anyone know why? Does it just not burn enough?

I burn close to 600 calories from strength training alone each time I work out (according to my HRM). If you do it at a good pace, you'll burn calories.

Have you read any of this thread? HRMs are not reliable measures for calorie burn when strength training.
  • mmapags
    Options

EPOC?

Thank you

Quite welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a 30 second break between reps, and then I write it down as circuit training... However, I write down that I did half the time I actually did, because I think that MFP over estimates. I found that if I didnt eat back those calories, I spent the whole rest of day craving food, even had a blacking out session.... I think each person has to work out for themselves how and what they need...
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If you are not burning calories while lifting weights then you are NOT doing it right ! sheesh.....

It's not about taking 3 min breaks inbetween sets.... it's about sweating and groaning and working your *kitten* off, and if that does not burn calories.....NUTHIN does !

Wrong. heavy lifting requires fairly significant rest between sets. ~2mins seems to be a generally accepted number for rest period when lifting heavy. I might even go so far as to say if you are lifting and don't need at least 1 minute of rest time, YOU aren't doing it right.

Additionally, sweating and heavy breathing doesn't equal calorie burn. It's just an indicator that you are pushing yourself beyond your current fitness level.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I have a 30 second break between reps, and then I write it down as circuit training... However, I write down that I did half the time I actually did, because I think that MFP over estimates. I found that if I didnt eat back those calories, I spent the whole rest of day craving food, even had a blacking out session.... I think each person has to work out for themselves how and what they need...

Sounds like you've found a good balance with all the estimating we do... nice job! It's harder than a lot of people think.
  • mmapags
    Options
    If you are not burning calories while lifting weights then you are NOT doing it right ! sheesh.....

It's not about taking 3 min breaks inbetween sets.... it's about sweating and groaning and working your *kitten* off, and if that does not burn calories.....NUTHIN does !

Wrong. heavy lifting requires fairly significant rest between sets. ~2mins seems to be a generally accepted number for rest period when lifting heavy. I might even go so far as to say if you are lifting and don't need at least 1 minute of rest time, YOU aren't doing it right.

Additionally, sweating and heavy breathing doesn't equal calorie burn. It's just an indicator that you are pushing yourself beyond your current fitness level.

Totally correct. You want between 2 and 5 minutes between sets for the ATP-PC energy system to recover in order to have max energy for the next set.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'd think it did, but when I added it to my exercise diary, MFP doesn't add those calories burned to my daily goals. Anyone know why? Does it just not burn enough?
    The strength training section on your exercise diary is just a memo entry, for you to track what you do. If you want to get credit for calorie burning go to the cardiovascular section and search on resistance training.
  • mmapags
    Options

If you are doing moderate weight and moderate reps, like 55% of 1RM and 12 to 15 reps, this will work just fine. It's a whole different animal if you are doing 3 to 5 reps at 85% to 90% of 1RM.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I burn close to 600 calories from strength training alone each time I work out (according to my HRM). If you do it at a good pace, you'll burn calories.

Have you read any of this thread? HRMs are not reliable measures for calorie burn when strength training.

Nope. I can't read or write. But from my limited intellectual abilities, I was somewhat able to determine that the OP was asking if strength training burns calories, which I answered that it does. Not everyone does strength training to get huge muscles. But then, what do I know?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It burns more than many people think. While any form of regular exercise can raise your resting metabolism, if you are in a calorie deficit you are not going to gain much muscle mass. Most of the calories are burned during lifting, not at rest.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    ok... taking a step back... the things to take away from this thread are:

1) lifting does burn cals, but it's almost impossible to accurately estimate how many. If you feel the need to log a burn, pick a number between 4 and 8 cals per minute and log it. That's about as good an estimate as you're going to get.

2) HRMs use mathematical calculations to ESTIMATE cals burned based on things like HR, weight, etc. They are estimates. When setup correctly, they can be reasonably accurate for most steady state cardio activities. When the activiy is no longer steady state, or when it's not cardio, the estimates are likely to be wildly inaccurate.

3) regardless of calorie burns, rest times, estimates, etc, keep kicking *kitten* in the gym.

• RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights gives you an increase in burned calories after your workout which cardio does not. This happens bc your body is trying to repair your muscles. I'd say the rough % is 15-30% burned. So if you burn 300 calories lifting weights you'd additionally burn 60 or so calories. None of this is exact and it varies based upon intensity of working out which is why you want to mix weight lifting and cardio.

Actually cardio does have an afterburn effect as well. EPOC stands for excess post exercise oxygen consumption, and after an intense cardio workout your body is in a state of oxygen debt, therefore it works extra after the workout is done, to fill that debt.

If you are doing your cardio correctly, it should be burning more calories than your strength training. This doesn't really matter though, since strength training offers benefits that you don't get from cardio, namely significant muscle building and strengthening. In answer to the OP though, of course strength training burns calories.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI I'm a small person and I burn about 400-450 calories an hour by weight training alone!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Yes, it does. The problem is that it's almost impossible to gauge how many. MFP's strength training section is for tracking progress (lifts, sets, reps, weight, etc) - not for tracking calorie burn. If you want to track calorie burn, log it as "strength training" (or something similar) under cardiovascular exercise.

IMO, if you are that concerned about burning cals for your deficit, do cardio. If you want to change how you look, then lift and focus on your diet. If you want both, then do both, but do them on separate days (cardio one day, lifting the next).
    this
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Notice I said "3 min" , not 1 min.....and pushing yourself beyond your current fitness level is a good indication that you are burning calories ....more than the ones you would burn just sitting there.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights gives you an increase in burned calories after your workout which cardio does not. This happens bc your body is trying to repair your muscles. I'd say the rough % is 15-30% burned. So if you burn 300 calories lifting weights you'd additionally burn 60 or so calories. None of this is exact and it varies based upon intensity of working out which is why you want to mix weight lifting and cardio.

Actually cardio does have an afterburn effect as well. EPOC stands for excess post exercise oxygen consumption, and after an intense cardio workout your body is in a state of oxygen debt, therefore it works extra after the workout is done, to fill that debt.

If you are doing your cardio correctly, it should be burning more calories than your strength training. This doesn't really matter though, since strength training offers benefits that you don't get from cardio, namely significant muscle building and strengthening. In answer to the OP though, of course strength training burns calories.

You're right...guess I did not clarify enough. Should have said lifting gives you greater increase and it lasts longer.
  • mmapags
    Options

Notice I said "3 min" , not 1 min.....and pushing yourself beyond your current fitness level is a good indication that you are burning calories ....more than the ones you would burn just sitting there.

In strength training "pushing yourself beyond your current fitness level" involves increasing intensity (read weight on the bar) not by short between sets rest periods. To some degree, it seems like you are confusing cardio concepts with strength training concepts. You are still most certainly burning calories with strength training when taking 3 minute rests between sets as long as you are lifting at 80% 1RM or higher. Short rests between sets =/= equal calorie burning nessesarily. This is different for circuit training with a lower % of 1RM but circuit training is more a muscular endurance activity than a strength activity, although it does have some strength element to it.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

In strength training "pushing yourself beyond your current fitness level" involves increasing intensity (read weight on the bar) not by short between sets rest periods. To some degree, it seems like you are confusing cardio concepts with strength training concepts. You are still most certainly burning calories with strength training when taking 3 minute rests between sets as long as you are lifting at 80% 1RM or higher. Short rests between sets =/= equal calorie burning nessesarily. This is different for circuit training with a lower % of 1RM but circuit training is more a muscular endurance activity than a strength activity, although it does have some strength element to it.

I am increasing weight between sets, I pyramid all of the time. and I take short rests.... I am doing this on purpose... I don't lift colored weights if that is what you are getting at ? I squat, deadlift, bench and more....