been lifitng weights but not losing any weight

Options
2»

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

I'm confused. I thought she was just here for snark. Must be the new profile pic. Solid advice

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I BECOME.

9AVDhfH.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That's more like it. I was about to call the authorities and report an identity theft
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    A: Be patient, weigh your food
    B: Weight loss is caused by calorie deficit, not cardio

Cardio is not necessary for weight loss.
  • Heya its hard to 'loose' weight by using weights because your actively building muscle which is denser than fat,

Incorrect UNLESS you are eating at a surplus. It is NIGH impossible to gain muscle mass unless you eat at a surplus. But yes, muscle is more dense than fat.
    so you will loose inches but not necessarly weight loss,

True. Due to water retention, you will swell up a little at first but will lose inches before the scale moves. Don't pay attention to your scale as often as the tape measure. And be patient. There's no quick fix.
    I would use lighter weights for toning and resistance rather than muscle building and incorporate more cardio circuit for blasting the fat. x

Not true. Using lighter weights that do not bring you to "failure" is not going to give you the benefit of truly "lifting heavy weights". Lift to failure. You will continue burning calories even after your workout. Eat enough protein and you will maintain your muscle mass while burning fat if you are eating at a deficit. Its important to eat that protein. Lift HEAVY. Cardio is not necessary to lose fat (cardio burns calories but it burns both fat AND muscle) so you can do it if you want but weight lifting is absolutely helpful.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    well i started drinking alot more water now
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to take measurements. Ive been there and found I lost a lot in inches.

this!

I lost an entire size and 0 lbs. measurements > weight
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary...just for a couple of days, but if those days are reflective of your norm then you are definitely not eating enough. If you follow the MFP method, a caloric deficit has been built into your net goal...when you exercise, you're supposed to eat those calories back to fuel your workouts. Essentially, you are netting below your BMR...in turn, you body is stalling your metabolism and storing instead of shedding fat.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just some quick advice..

Another thing you can try is to eat 5-6 smaller meals, instead of 3 meals per day. Not only will this help make sure you're eating enough (at least your BMR) per day, but it also boosts your metabolism by constantly burning calories throughout the day. Also, try two small workouts per day (am/pm) instead of one.

Hope that helps!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything originalcooki said - but I want to make one clarification:

lifing light weights for "toning" - myth.

Lifting light weights only increases your muscle's endurance. It doesn't do anything to increase strength.

I lift heavy weights currently 5x day, but I started at 4 days/week. I do 3 days/week cardio. I haven't seen much in the way of weight loss overall, but I've dropped from a size 8+ to a snug 4. IT WORKS.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Track your body composition not weight, most gyms will do this for you for a small fee.
    If your new to lifting its normal to have some noob gains at the beginning, so you may not see much if any movement on the scale.
    Get a bodyfat caliper test done every 4 - 6 weeks, you will get a better idea of whats happening to you body.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Make sure you measure yourself, it is discouraging because you want to see it on the sale, but I am 100% your loosing inches. I am in the same boat, but I can tell in my body. Trust me it is a struggle, I use to weigh 350 lbs before now I am 166 lbs so do not get discouraged buddy keep on pushing :)

Nadia
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    You cant lift heavy and lose weight. I've tried it. I started a heavy lifting program over the summer and gave it up early December. I was getting nowhere. I ran atleast 4 days a week. When you lift heavy your body wants calories to build muscle and recover. To lose weight you need to eat a calorie deficent diet. These 2 things work against eachother. Early december I stopped lifting heavy and have lost 15 pounds since and feel great! I have energy and strength. I still run 4 days a week and do BodyPump 2 or 3 days a week. BodyPump is a weight lifting program that uses light weights with lots of reps. I also dont take any supliments. I have 15 more pounds to lose and then I will restart my heavy lifting again. This worked for me. You can send a FR if you like. GL!!
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1. Cardio: Shoot for 75-85% of your max heart rate....burn some calories wear are HR monitor if you can...you'll know exactly how many calories your truly burning during your cardio workout.
    2. If you can afford a fitbit zip you can track your calories all day and link it to MFP to see exactly what your burning and when.
    3. Drink tons of water....till you hate water...everyday. and then drink more. 8 - 12 cups 48 - 72 oz a day. this is the hardest part for me... H2O...
    4. Eat at least 2 -4 snacks in between your meals ...protein snacks and fresh fruit

everybody is right....your not going to retain tons of H2O for the first 3 - 5 weeks until your body is hydrated and happy with the routine (measure your Hips, waist, and arms every 3rd week). somewhere between week 5 and 10 you'll see a difference and between week 15 and week 20 you'll totally be motivated again with happiness. Time...Time...Time and Water...water....H2O Lift lighter with more reps for lean and heavy for mass.... You'll get there.....you didn't put the lbs on overnight and they won't come off overnight....WE ARE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU>>>DON'T GIVE UP....KEEP PUSHING
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    this is really upsetting me.

The amount of people in this thread that don't know the difference between lose and loose is really upsetting me.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
  • Luis2787
    Options
    thanks for all the advice guys i guess i do need to eat 6 small meals a day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice guys i guess i do need to eat 6 small meals a day.
    Only if it helps you get your calories in or helps you stick to your diet. The "eating every 2-3 hours revs up your metabolism" is a total myth which has been scientifically debunked.

Don't fixate on the scale reading unless you have to hit a particular weight for some reason. Which would you rather do - lose inches and bodyfat and have a hard, lean body, or just drop pounds so you reach a certain scale weight? People don't see a scale number floating over your head - they see the body you're walking around in.
  • Luis2787
    Options
    i really don't know what to eat during eating six small meals a day?
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    this is really upsetting me.

The amount of people in this thread that don't know the difference between lose and loose is really upsetting me.

Haha ^^ This!

But to OP, don't be discouraged.. it's only been 3 weeks.. and as everyone else has said, take measurements with a tape and don't just rely on the scale :) Good luck, and keep at it - I bet you're stronger and fitter than you were 3 weeks ago.. just think how much healthier you'll be in 3 months!
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    i really don't know what to eat during eating six small meals a day?

You don't need to eat six meals a day, you're not a cow. You are a human. Make sure you are eating enough. Lift heavy weights.

Workout to get stronger and feel good. Working out just to lose weight implies that once you reach your weight goal you will stop working out. Do something that you can see yourself doing for a long time, no matter what you weigh.

Eat nutrient dense food that fill you up and makes you feel good. Don't starve yourself or eliminate foods that you are just going to go back to after you reach your goal. Learn what the right amount to eat is by careful tracking.