Ready to DIVORCE my scale!

Options
I think the most aggravating and deflating thing is the damn scale! 10 days of disciplined eating and exercise and the scale went down 2 pounds and then right back up 3lbs. I know muscle weighs more than fat. I know that "under the surface" things are changing.

How often to you weigh yourself?
How often do you do measurements?

Here's to "keep on, keepin' on...."

Replies

• Amordeca
    Options
    I weigh myself at least 3 times a week.
    I measure myself once a week,.

I find I feel more satisfied when I lose inches rather than pounds.

33386074.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Throw it away. I only weigh myself once a month at the gym. Scales are one of the least effective way to track your progress IMHO, stick with progress photos, measurements and body fat percentage- it's a much better way to see yourself change
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    How often to you weigh yourself?
    How often do you do measurements?"

everyday
    few times a week

inches>>>>>>>>>>>weight!!!!!!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    DO IT! Divorce your scale... Or at least a trial separation :)

I'm down to weighing myself once a month, taking measurements every 2 weeks along with progress pictures.

ETA: I've dropped a full skirt size and lost 0 lbs. You're the only one who sees the number.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I am in a fight with my scale at the moment. I lost an inch and a half in the last 2 weeks (new workout class 3x a week), but my scale has been up and down the last few days.
    Take measurements. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.. it just doesn't take up as much room.
  • moounir
    moounir Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Be careful on one thing. If your scale is an electronic one, it's not accurate. I always add 1 pound to the result.
    I weight myself everyday to have a look on the result but I check-in once a week.

Some day I see the scale adding 3 lbs and when I wake up in the morning I have 4 lbs down. I have an electronic one but as I know this it's more simple for me not to really trust the result. What I am always following is the fact that I will not reach a limit again. For now I decided that my result is really bad If I pass the weight of 81 Kg. Currently I am at 79.7kg. So if I obtain 80.5 kg it's ok.

And step by step I lower this limit.

It's a marathon not a sprint so tell yourself that you'll be doing this for 2 years even if you aim less. Then you'll keep in mind that it's not a problem to increase a little bit but always keep an alarm where you'll have to say that something is going wrong.

Keep going.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Be careful on one thing. If your scale is an electronic one, it's not accurate. I always add 1 pound to the result.
    I weight myself everyday to have a look on the result but I check-in once a week.

I just bought a digital scale, and weighed on it, it gave me a number, and then I got on my old dial scale and it gave me the same number. It's accurate, as long as you weigh at the same time each time, using the same scale
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For you, absolutely divorce your scale. If you are gaining some muscle, which is more dense but not heavier than fat, FANTASTIC! Celebrate that, girl!!!

So many posts on MFP are about the torture and agony of the scale when, under inspection, people are doing EXACTLY what they should be doing: exercising, eating better fuel in correct quantities.

Weight is a number. Nothing more, nothing less. It can be an indicator of fitness, sure, but it is only 1 input of many.

Personally, i weigh myself frequently cus i am a little nutty.

I think most people should stay away from the scale.

Some thoughts for you:
    * Look in the mirror. Do you look better than you did two weeks ago? 6 months ago?
    * Put on your bluejeans right after they come out of the dryer. How do they fit? Tighter or looser?
    * use a tape measure around areas that you care about. What direction is that going?
    * measure your resting heart rate. is that coming down because of yoru cardio efforts?
    * track your strength training. Are you getting stronger?

Honestly, if you are moving toward fitness, NOBODY gives a rip how much you weigh! They just think that you look great.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I took he battery out of my scale and tossed it. I hate you scale!!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I took he battery out of my scale and tossed it. I hate you scale!!!

^^^funny ;)
  • Karrie4
    Karrie4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Trial Separation - LOL! I think I am going to need "supervised visits." UGH - The Battle of the Bulge!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Funny enough I lost the scale in my divorce.... nothing lost there
  • Toyah35
    Toyah35 Posts: 13
    Options
    once a week
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am ready to throw my scale out the window