running

Options
k i cant run for toffee! I tried the couch to 5 k a few years back and never really got past the first bit. it hurts my legs and i cant even run for a minute without running out of breath. what can i do get a bit better at running lol

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. Try C25K again and keep repeating each week until that week feels easy. If you can't do a minute then do 30 seconds run and 1 minute walk.
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    first suggestion: Make sure you have the correct shoes. Get fitted for your stride and frame...it makes all the difference!
    second suggestion: Power walk instead of running.
    I am not a runner, never have been, it's just not in me. However, I can walk at 5 mph and feel great. Try it!
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    when I started it was hard (understatment) for me to run for 2 min at a time.
    I would walk 3 min, run 2 min, walk 5 min, run 2 min etc....
    Now 4 months or so later I can run for 20-25 min straight without stopping for a walk.
    Keep your spirits up. Also running on a treadmill is way easier than running outside (in my experience).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Accept the fact that you have to start slow. Like painfully slow. Do the couch to 5k again but repeat the beginning days if you don't think you can move to the next week. If you go at it like gangbusters you will end up frustrated and quit. (I speak from experience)

The bottom line is this: you have to do something you like to do. Do you like to run?
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    oops sorry, double posted this - don't know how to remove

when I started it was hard (understatment) for me to run for 2 min at a time.
    I would walk 3 min, run 2 min, walk 5 min, run 2 min etc....
    Now 4 months or so later I can run for 20-25 min straight without stopping for a walk.
    Keep your spirits up. Also running on a treadmill is way easier than running outside (in my experience).
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. Try C25K again and keep repeating each week until that week feels easy. If you can't do a minute then do 30 seconds run and 1 minute walk.

Agree. Modify as needed and don't feel like you have to meet an apps standards for progress. That's a recipe for injury and/or failure.
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and just feel when hes getting older and running around more i wont be able to keep up with him lol.

Ill tone it down a bit and try it again.
    Thanks everyone x