Anybody else not do much cardio?

I started graduate school and have been super busy
So I pretty much cut out my cardio (maybe 30-40 mins of cardio a week...mostly warmup)
I do mostly strength training, 3-4 times a week sessions of about 30 minutes
I do lift pretty heavy. For most exercises I do 2-4 sets of 5-12 reps
I have been making sure I eat healthy around 90% of the time and staying in my caloric intake (not trying to lose weight anymore, just maintain)
I havent gained any weight (by looking in the mirror) but my gym friend says its weird I do no cardio anymore...

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Nothing weird about it. I still do some cardio, but it's either HIIT (sprints Tue and Thu) or long slow cardio (commute by bike). I not only prefer to do strength work but I see far greater results
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i dont do much cardio either, a bit to warm up, some HIIT occassionally if i can be bothered! each to their own. you dont NEED cardio to reduce bodyfat.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I don't really do any either, main reason is I don't enjoy it. I don't think it's weird (probably because I've gotten used to it being this way!)

As Tavistock said; you don't need it to lose bodyfat.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    if you consider none, not much.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    but my gym friend says its weird I do no cardio anymore...

tell him/her that the 90's want their ideas back....

....seriously though, if the goal is weight-loss, then cardio is strictly optional. If it's heart health we're talking about, then some cardio won't hurt. However, 5 days a week pounding a treadmill/strapping yourself into an elliptical is unnecessary unless you actually enjoy it!

-- to actually reply to the OP, not much -> verging on none nowadays. I get some cardio benefit from kung fu, but it's not really the goal of the operation more a side-effect.....