8 Cups of Water?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i try to get 8 in a day, but if you get 4 - 6 I think thats pretty acceptable , I don't always getmy full 8 but try for 4 at the least , I also count my herbal tea as a glass of water if I have some.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Coffee and caffeinated drinks dehydrate you. You may need to drink an ounce and a half to recover every ounce of caffeinated beverages you drink to rehydrate.

The claim that caffeinated beverages dehydrate you is at best disputed. Caffeine does have a diuretic effect, but recent research suggests that the effect is not that big. When taken in moderation (1-2 cups a day), the diuretic effect of caffeinated beverage is no larger than the effect of other beverages. Plus, regular drinkers seem to develop a resistance. Of course there is variation in everyone so some people might be more sensitive to it.

An ounce of caffeinated beverages making you lose an ounce of water seems wildly exaggerated. Is that supposed to happen through a diuretic effect? If that were the case, four cups of coffee would make you double your average urine excretion. That would be enough to warrant medical attention and symptoms of dehydration would be quite obvious.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The notion of eight glasses of water, of say eight ounces each, is a myth. In 1945 the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council recommended approximately "1 milliliter of water for each calorie of food," which would amount to roughly 2 to 2.5 quarts per day (64 to 80 ounces). The board added, "[M]ost of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.” But this sentence seems to have been forgotten by everyone. Be sure though to drink a big glass of water before each of the three daily meals.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is no magic number of cups or ounces you need to hit-it is about hydration. You can determine your hydration level via pee color. The link below has all of the info including a color chart from the US military on how to determine if you need to drink water or not:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857659-the-definitive-how-much-water-do-i-really-need-thread

Good to know! Is this the color when mixed with the toilet water? lol sorry if TMI. I don't ever get to see at work bc the toilets are autoflush, I'll try to pay more attention at home!

LOL, yes, it is the mixed color. Don't worry, you don't have to take pee samples regularly :laugh:
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty

Wrong - the feeling of thirst actually indicates that the body is already slightly dehydrated.

Maybe you're just unfamiliar with what "thirst" feels like. I end up drinking around 8 liters (not cups) of water a day because I only drink when I'm thirsty. I keep 4-6 500mL water bottles in my gigantic purse and any time I feel thirsty I drink. When I eat dinner I go through about 6 liters. If you're in tune with your body, you'll know when you need water.

Hahaha....you're right, as a former collegiate athlete and a nationally certified health care professional with advanced training on nutrition/hydration as they specifically relate to heat related illness I most definitely am "unfamiliar" with what thirst feels like.

Oh wait - I actually do know what I'm talking about, and I'm right! But thanks...