Vegetables to go with pasta sauce?

Options
I'm not the greatest cook, so I can't make anything super complicated. Today I thought I'd try some skinless, boneless chicken with some whole wheat spaghetti and pasta sauce. I already have a glass of pasta sauce, but it accoured to me that I could easily add a bit of vegetables to the pasta sauce. What would you suggest? Keep in mind that my grocery store has a pretty crappy selection :P

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I love throwing some broccoli into my pasta. Green peppers and mushrooms too! Having this for dinner tonight.

ETA: Unless you're trying to blend something into the actual sauce? I usually just eat it regular.
  • jadimasi79
    jadimasi79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Any vegetable goes great as long as you chop it up fine.
    The other thing I do is get frozen vegtables and then with a closed bag smash with hammer and you have crushed veggies you can add to any recipe!
  • jjkath
    jjkath Posts: 17
    Options
    Carrots and cauliflower both keep their shape and texture well when combined in a tomato sauce. Any peppers would also be perfect.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love zuccini/green squash and yellow squash in my pasta. If you slice it thin, you can pretty much let the heat from the pasta cook it when you put it all together. I've also started adding thin, short carrot sticks (like the size of a pretzel stick), small pieces of broccoli, and grape or cherry tomatos, sometimes yellow, orange, or red peppers. We made this recently and it was really good- we didn't use as much parmesean as it calls for, but a sprinkle on top really brought it to life. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-pasta-i/ Enjoy!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    zucchini is my favorite veggie in pasta (with tomato sauce)
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I like peppers. all the peppers (except green.)bell pepper, spicy pepper. I love peppers. and zucchini. onion. garlic. mushrooms (although I don't like those either they just "go" with pasta). tomato chunks.

pasta is a beautiful thing because you can put all the things you like in it.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I vote zuchini and squash... love them and they absorb a lot of the flavor of what you cook them with.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Zucchini (UK = courgette) is great in pasta.

I fry some onions and garlic then add lots and lots and lots of zucchini and let it sweat until it goes really really soft. Then I add a couple of anchovy fillets (canned) (yes, sounds weird but just adds a lovely savoury flavour) and mash it all together with a potato masher. You can also add some (ahem!) cream or low fat alternative and some cheese before you mix in the pasta.

Nom nom
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Now I'm hungry :)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, eggplant, yellow button squash, celery, pumpkin, sweet potato, onions, capsicum, cauliflower all go nicely in pasta sauce
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I always add finely diced bell peppers (all colors), zucchini and spinach to my sauce.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower - we actually use this in place of the pasta

Onions
    Mushrooms
    Carrots
    Zucchini
    Olives
    Peppers
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you ever need to "hide" veggies, pumpkin puree works great in tomato based sauces (like pasta sauce or chili). You really can't taste much of a difference. As for visible veggies in the sauce I love mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, zucchini, yellow squash, etc.
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables such as onion, sweet peppers, sweetcorn, courgette, and brocolli with pasta
  • seaflyer
    seaflyer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    EGGPLANT! Yummy!:happy:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    zucchini is my favorite veggie in pasta (with tomato sauce)

This.