Does Pilates help you to lose weight

Options
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether or not Pilates actually helps you to lose weight - and by weight I mean fat. I have about another 14 - 20 lbs to lose and still have a layer of fat I'd like to shift. I know Pilates is great for toning but there is no point in doing it if you can't see the work you are putting in as you still have fat to lose.

To sum up - If I do Pilates regularly with a calorie controlled diet will it help me to burn fat? Or will it only help to tone up?

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carissaharmon
    Options
    I am doing Pilates right now (due to a sprained knee I cant go to the gym) and so far with a controlled diet and following this video I am starting to see and feel changes. Pilates is very good for the Core and toning your body. I would say stick to a good diet and do pilates!
  • angelatres
    angelatres Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing pilates for about 8 months now and the biggest benefit that I have found is that is has helped my back pain disappear! I think its from having a better awareness of my posture and from going more ab strength. i do recommend it.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's exercise so yes, but not at a high rate like cardio would. Building muscle will help raise your basal metabolic rate too.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's exercise so yes, but not at a high rate like cardio would. Building muscle will help raise your basal metabolic rate too.

This.

Pilates is fab but it is strength training rather than cardio. If you want to get rid of the fat then it's your diet you really need to look at as it's 80% food, 20% exercise when it comes to losing weight.

But... to make sure you have a great body once the fat has gone, start the Pilates now (as well as a weight training programme). And, as the poster above says, the more muscle you have the more efficient your body will be at burning fat.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have been doing pilates for about 8 months now and the biggest benefit that I have found is that is has helped my back pain disappear! I think its from having a better awareness of my posture and from going more ab strength. i do recommend it.

Another one I agree with! I've got two slipped discs in my neck and I always turn to Pilates when my neck and back get stiff. Fantastic for keeping everything working - and a strong core is so important if you have any kind of back problem.
  • NataliaCT
    Options
    My recommendation is to add at least 2x a week cardio work out (minimum 30 -40 min) to your pilates routine and a proper nutrition. Doing cardio is crucial in terms of loosing body fat!
    Also, read this http://nataliacoretraining.com/ideal-body/
    Setting up your mind to a "healthy mood" is the key to success!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    i agree about it helping the back it has really helped mine and the way i see it any excercise will burn calories. bottom line is that if like pilates do them.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump