Anyone from new zealand?

Options
Hi there, im 19 and i have around about 25kgs to loose, finding it hard to follow recipe measurements and things as everything seems to be american lol. Any nzders around help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• ihaka
    ihaka Posts: 5
    Options
    Yay another kiwi, just joined today.
  • tanga_gurl
    tanga_gurl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah i just joined today too, this website is awesome just like WW but free lol.
  • sneetch
    sneetch Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey,

Yep, another Kiwi. I've been a member for a few months. What troubles are you having with measurements - specifically?
  • tanga_gurl
    tanga_gurl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Not just measurements, just most things like the food is different as well, my biggest downfall is finding healthy things to eat that i will actually eat, im on 1200 cal a day, is there anything you can reccomend?
  • DominiqueM
    Options
    Hi, I'm from New Zealand too. Seems to be quite a few of us here :)
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Options
    Hey I'm a kiwi too! More of us than I thought there'd be on here!

I find it hard to find NZ brands of things...if that's what you mean? I usually either just pick an American brand that has a measurement that's not '1 piece' or '1 serving' and that sounds about right...either that or you can add your own foods in, I've been doing that when I eat something that comes in a wrapper with nutritional info on it and I've seen some other NZ stuff added too.

Do you mean like foods you can snack on or just healthy food ideas in general?
  • Mel55
    Mel55 Posts: 1
    Options
    It is such a good site but i know what you mean its either all uk or american. Ive started adding my own foods and i suppose if we all do this it will make it easier for all kiwis in the future.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    *waves*

It's not too bad just have a calculator handy an ounce (oz) is 28.something g, so I just call it 30 when I'm approximating servings.

Pre-packaged stuff will have nutritional info on the back, at least serve size and kilojoules (4.18 kj = 1cal, or roughly 4 if you're doing it in your head) then just add it if you can't find an equivalent in the database

I mean going a few calories over isn't going to hurt, so roughly approximating your conversions is OK.

If you stick to nutritious whole foods, everything like that is already in the database, and a carrot is a carrot anywhere in the world. It's only when you start getting into fast/pre-prepared/packaged foods that it begins to differ. And those things are bad for weight loss anyway! Or just substitute, and remember some brands here are called different things elsewhere (eg you'll find a lot of Wattie's stuff under Heinz as Heinz owns Wattie's) Just check the package, and if the cals are roughly the same, so with a substitute.

Try changing your goal to 1lb per week, this will give you a higher allowance if you can't stay within 1200 cal/day. Use the BMR calculator and see what your BMR is, and you can get a rough idea of how much over your 1200 you can go without it having a negative effect, it'll just slow the loss down a bit maybe. For example my goal @ 1lb/week is 1530. My maintenance goal is just over 2000 - so I know what if I go over one day, so long as I haven't gone over 2000, I've still made a calorie deficit for that day, albeit a small one, but better than a gain.
    If you exercise you get to eat more as you don't want to g under 1200 net (so if you earn 400 from a run and eat under 1600, for example, you need to eat them or you have netted under 1200).
    Better to go slowly and steadily than struggle to reach an impossible target for yourself (eating under 1200 /day) and having a blow out or getting discouraged and giving up.

After a few days you'll get out of the "habit" of eating so much/snacking/having too-big meals. It's hard for those few days, but it won't be hard forever.
    A good thing is to work out how long you'd have to walk/run for to burn of X snack - you suddenly decide you don't need it so much after all!

Rice cracker with light philly are a yummy low-cal snack! Take your time eating them. Spread the philly on with a knife rather than dipping the crackers in, you'll consume much much less.
    And soup is good too, or something like Milo without sugar added made with hot water and a little trim milk.
  • 02bfitter
    02bfitter Posts: 8
    Options
    another Kiwi joining the throng of happy fitness and weight trackers... Hi YA 'all!

I'm sitting here slurping on an Ovaltine light break and am I sposed to feel guilty? Nah.... decided that I could have one per day since I doing well with all the other exercise and eating regimes. Have lost 15 kgs to date..... taken me years to feel this good about myself. Glad to be here - was tracking on Spark People but it was way too time consuming - I stumbled across this site by searching google - love the fact it lists nearly all the foods we have in NZ. I have bought bulk Cruskits...... they are a major in my life since I don't eat bread anymore :( yes, very sad about that.
    ok - must go for my daily walk....before the rain comes.
    ciao roomies
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yup, them danged Americans, drive on the wrong side of the road and all kinds of crazy things!

I'm from New Plymouth (brrrrr), so hiya.

(Come to think of it, have we converted everyone on the site to vegemite yet???)
  • vaavale
    vaavale Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi from Auckland
    just looking through to see if i can find a site that works in kj's or weight watchers
  • microcutz
    Options
    Hey I'm from Auckland , haven't had much issues with finding foods yet, great site, love it!
    Add me as a friend so we can do this together!
  • slainnz
    slainnz Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi everyone, i'm living in Wellington. Must say ive not had a problem yet finding foods on the database. There is also a facebook page called New Zealand MFP Buddies. Add me if you like. Sarah
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    From palmy north here. Ive just been adding food as i go but there seems to be a reasonable amount already in the database. i do miss having people in the same time zone as me though!!
  • emmaskye15
    emmaskye15 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)

My name is Emma and im here for a change too! Yay I started last Monday 11 days in a row now!!! and when I weighed myself yesterday i had lost 1.8 kgs to date! I think the biggest thing you have to remember is if you want chocolate or something you love ...... eat it! Just make sure you compensate for it by going for a walk or something! I love chocolate and sweet treats! I whole heartedly believe if you don't eat what you love you are more than likely to get depressed and fall off the wagon! My goal is to find that gap between my thighs ive never had! Im 23 I want to feel good about myself!
    Well done kiwis x keep on track and love every kg lost of your self!
  • celliott412
    celliott412 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From the North Shore of Auckland, I've been using this website for the past 5 and a half weeks and are very happy with how easy it has helped be loose 6.5 kg already! I'm half way to my target of around 13 kg before Xmas, great to see other NZ people here!
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Karen in Hastings!

In the 10 weeks I've been on here I've lost 7.5kg & it's so much easier than I thought it would be :bigsmile:

I'm so grateful to all the NZer's who have been here for longer & filled the food database with lots of our food. It's amazing how many of us are on here! At this rate we'll be known as a country filled with fit healthy people lol