How much do you spend on groceries?

Options
Just curious...how much does you family spend on groceries each month? Eating out? For how many people?

My hubby and I are working on our monthly budget but wanted an idea of what is feasable for feeding a family of 2 (and eventually probably 4).

Thanks!

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    About $100-$120 a week... that usually includes non-food stuffs like diapers or toilet paper too... I buy a bunch of fresh produce, fresh lean meats, a handful of frozen items and whatever packaged items I need for the week (like canned tomatoes). And this is for 2.5 (the .5 is a toddler child). But I will give the caveat that we live in the DFW metro and pricing varies across the different metro areas. Here I can get a gallon of milk for around $3 (depending on whether I buy the non-hormone version or the regular kind).
  • sally414
    Options
    It's just my husband and I right now... we spend about $80 a week on groceries, and that can include odds 'n ends like TP, toothpaste, vitamins, etc.

Some weeks are less - I try to only buy produce on sale and use up all my leftovers and not toss away food I have at home.

Eating out is another story... probably close to $250. We need to stop!
  • enb5056
    enb5056 Posts: 31
    Options
    I spend 40$ a month on groceries. I am a college student living on my own, sometimes feeding my boyfriend. I'm a vegetarian and eat healthier than anyone I know. (and people said eating healthy is expensive >:D) I probably eat out once a month, for like 10$ and that like feeds me for 3 days because I get a crazy good Chinese food deal haha.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    For 1 adult and 3 children four days a week and 2 adults and 4 children 3 days a week I spend £60 (around $95) per week
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Usually $80-$100 a week, this includes the odds and ends that others mentioned. My boyfriend and I pack lunches every weekday and try to eat meals in as often as we can. We actually make a game out of seeing who can guess what the total at checkout is going to be. It seems like a lot but if you compare to eating out you save a TON.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    We spend between $70 and $100 a week, depending on factors like: Are the chickens laying eggs, do the cat and dog both need food. Generally closer to $70. We also shop almost exclusively in the outer aisles of the store. Exceptions being the things they insist on putting in with the junk (just to tempt us) like oatmeal and flour, canned goods. Eating out for us means "schedule is messed up, no time crap!" And we do the best we can to eat healthfully when that happens. And we use coupons!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I spend between 50/week for me and my 4 yr old. Could probably get that down to 30-40 if i start using coupons again...
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    For my boyfriend and I, around $450 per month. That includes toothpaste, toilet paper and everything else we buy randomly at the grocery store. We honestly make no effort to spend less and buy predominantly non store brand items.

Fast food I'm not sure.. maybe another $50 per month. We don't eat at a restaurant more than a few times per year.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    2 adults - $400- 500 a month ( this includes houshold items as well, like toilet paper, laundry detergent tinfoil etc) so I would say around $400 approximately
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Family of 5, $300/week. But that includes incidental stuff like cleaning supplies. So, probably $250 a week in just food.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Our grocery budget for the month is $1000, but that includes diapers for my 1-year-old son and all organic foods because my 3-year-old daughter is allergic to pesticides.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Too freakin' much! :grumble:

I'll admit that half of our cart is usually fresh fruit and veggies. And we also tend to stock up whenever there's a good deal. But we're around $200/week on groceries for a family of 4 (that includes toiletries and paper goods).

Eating out, we spend WAY WAY WAY too much! Sometimes we can go a couple of weeks and MAYBE order pizza once. Othertimes (like this past weekend) we eat out 3 days in a row!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    wow i'm surprised how little some of you spend a month on food!! i feel like i spend a lot more probably 600 a month for me and the boyfriend (he eats a lot)

what stores do you guys usually shop at?? thanks!
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    $850/month for my husband, myself and kids ages 8,3 &1.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Only 2 people. I think we are averaging around $240 a month for groceries (I always shop with coupons and sale). We eat out about 1-2 times a week, so we are spending probably about $200 in eating out.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    We are a family of four and spend about $70-$90 per week on groceries that includes diapers and formula. I try to shop at discount grocery stores for a lot of my items ( I can find milk for $1.89 per gallon). I also buy walmart brand formula and it cuts my cost by half and it has all the same stuff as enfamil and similac. We eat at home everyday and I pack my sons school lunches and mine and hubbys lunches and only eat out once per month and when we do we usually get a pizza to cut down on cost. 1 large feeds the 3 of us for $10. I know it sounds hard but it is doable. I do not even use coupons Aldi's is my first choice to shop at then walmart.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I spend about $250 / week for a family of 5. Me, Husband and 3 boys ages 4 - 12. We do not eat out or eat fast foods. We also eat very clean so that's fresh produce, meats, dairy and whole grains. I eat about 7 - 9 cups of veggies a day, myself, so I'd say vegetables are most of my cost as they don't last long.

In the summer, I plan on growing a lot of my own veggies so we can cut down on costs a bit. That might seem like a lot to some, but Boys eat A LOT! :)
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am a budgeter by nature! We spend appox100 a week. This is for two adults and a 6 year old we have half of the time. I plan meals that can double as lunches the next day, casseroles, bigger pots of pasta, extra chicken on the grill etc. I plan meals for a whole week and can usually get the meals for around 50 bucks. the extra comes in with having to buy junk food for the BF. He loves, hot pockets and Jimmy Dean breakfast sammies, cookies, and soda. The extra also goes to stupid lunchables and juice boxes for the kiddo. If I could get my BF and his daughter to eat less processed like me we could save a fortune!

As far as eating out...we try and limit it to once or twice a week and that all varies based on where we go!
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    We are a family of 8, we spend around $1000 a month.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    $100-$120 a week for a family of 4 (which is 2 adults, a 7 year old and a 3 year old)