nasty

Options
13»

Replies

• hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both use E-cig brand e-go we bought them from vapedojo.com

That's where I get mine too, they have a great little starter kit for about $13.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    not a smoker but honestly if you know something will eventually kill you Isn't that enough motivation to stop..i would rather die from something unpreventable than something you definitely can prevent. however iam speaking from the outside in and know nothing about any addictions, so my advice is good luck hope u can overcome this..
    It's not that simple. Quitting cigarettes is seriously more difficult than quitting heroin. The addiction to nicotine is heavily psychological because many people use cigarettes as coping mechanism and "cure-all" for their ails.

Happy? "Let's smoke to celebrate!"
    Sad? "I need a cigarette to deal with this."
    Upset? "A smoke will calm me down."
    Just ate? "Nothing like a smoke after a meal."
    Just finished sex? "Pass the lighter, babe."
    Just finished running? "Why do cigarettes taste better right after exercise?"

Not to mention that a lot of people are more addicted to the act of going outside and smoking than they are to the actual nicotine.
    ^this mainly my problem is the habit to go and smoke. and the inhaling the ecigg did help the most cause i got sort of the sam effect
  • christy3565
    Options
    You have to really want to do it for you, not for anyone else. I couldn't quit until I was 100% committed and 100% confident that I would do it.

^^THIS
    I quit 4 months ago with the help of Chantix. Best thing I've ever done but you have to WANT it. Not for your job or coworkers. The addiction to the nicotine goes away pretty fast, the habit doesn't. I still find myself reaching for a cigarette at times out of pure habit. I don't want a cigarette at all, but the habit is still there.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I too started smoking at about 13. I too quit in my 20's. I'm 60 now. Keep at it. I failed so many times I began to wonder if I would ever succeed. I did. I quit and then got overconfident and tried to have "just a couple". I got hooked again. I quit again, for good.

So never give up, and once you quit, don't think you can smoke just a little. Those of us who are predisposed to getting hooked on tobacco will always be susceptible.

An encouraging word: When I smoked, the idea of going without for the rest of my life was depressing. It was an illusion. It took a year or more, but I finally reached a point where I couldn't believe I used to smoke. I still can't believe it.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    can anyone recommend a good e-cig that doesn't have nicotine in it? I've tried cold turkey, I can't take Chantix due to side effects and I'd prefer not to use the patch or gum that has nicotine.

Thanks!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's not that simple. Quitting cigarettes is seriously more difficult than quitting heroin. The addiction to nicotine is heavily psychological because many people use cigarettes as coping mechanism and "cure-all" for their ails.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but have you actually done heroin, or known an addict closely? I'm pretty sure that heroin withdrawals blow tobacco's out of the water. You're right in saying that the addiction is heavily psychological, as it is with any drug, even "non-addictive" ones like marijuana. However, you can't ignore physical withdrawal symptoms, and they are particularly nasty with harder drugs.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    not a smoker but honestly if you know something will eventually kill you Isn't that enough motivation to stop..
    If it were that easy to give up deadly habits, there wouldn't be an MFP. We'd all just eat right and live happily ever after.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but have you actually done heroin, or known an addict closely? I'm pretty sure that heroin withdrawals blow tobacco's out of the water.
    "Research suggests that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine, or alcohol."

So says the U.S. Center for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smoking/how_to_quit/you_can_quit/nicotine/
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I was a 10 year pack a day smoker. I quit 7 years ago and haven't had one puff since. I lived with my GF who did not quit.

Quiting isn't easy, but it is very simple. Just stop smoking, and refuse to take another drag no mater what. It does't take very long until it is simply a non issue.

At the time it seemed like a massive deal to quit. In hind sight it was really pretty easy, and SOOOOO Worth it.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but have you actually done heroin, or known an addict closely? I'm pretty sure that heroin withdrawals blow tobacco's out of the water.

"Research suggests that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine, or alcohol." Source: U.S. Center For Disease Control

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smoking/how_to_quit/you_can_quit/nicotine/

Suggests is a rather vague word, no offense. And still, that's not really the point I was making. Tobacco and heroin are both highly addictive substances. The poster I was replying to said that it was more difficult to quit cigs than shooting up. I disagreed only on the basis that due to the very severe withdrawal symptoms of heroin.

http://addictions.about.com/od/dailylifewithaddiction/a/What-To-Expect-From-Heroin-Withdrawal.htm

Versus the nicotine withdrawal symptoms listed here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000953.htm
  • darcyinmo
    darcyinmo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 I quit at 39 after starting at 13 like you .. I was almost 2 packs per day and over 20 years. I had to WANT to quit and by want I mean really want it. For me I was trying to lose weight at the time and in order for me to increase my cardio I needed to be able to breathe. No brainer right? Well that's what it took ... I told myself either I was going to keep smoking and be fat or I would quit smoking so I could breathe well enough to work out and lose weight... I lost the weight got divorced and regained it all back now that I'm remarried and happy (I got complacant and lazy about the gym to nurtue the new love I found but that's a whole other story)... the point is until you really want to quit for you and not for who you work with or what others think it won't happen... or at least that was my experience.. I tried to quit several times for someone else who told me I should but couldn't really do it until it was for me. Good luck to you though!

I'm in the same boat!! But still smoke. Just curious, how long after you started eating healthy and working out did you decide "now was the time" to quit? Was it easier with a better diet? I really would like to quit want to be able to be healthy and breathe when I do! I know it takes motivation and desire, and maybe I'm just not there yet. Any tips?