I suck at sleeping...could it be my diet?

Options
Ok, so here's what's going on.

I work out for 20 mins a day (30 Day Shred) and eat all my 1280 calories + half of my workout calories (if not all of them.) I'm set as sedentary since I work a desk job and don't work out every single day.

I recently gained 1 pound, which I assume is all muscle because as you can see in my profile pic, my body has become more toned.

So, here's my dilemma. I'm having the toughest time falling asleep at night and sometimes I even wake up for 1-2 hours for no reason. I learned from having a baby that babies wake at night because they may not have eaten enough calories during the day, so they are waking up to have a bottle to make up for the missed daytime calories. Is it possible that may be happening to me? Can this happen to adults?

I'm going to have a body composition done soon to see if I need to increase my calories due to the increased muscle mass. Do I need to switch from sedentary to lightly active?

Replies

• MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You weight will naturally fluctuate 1-2lbs every day, I wouldn't worry too much. Is 1280 your BMR?
    Gaining a pound of muscle actually takes a lot longer than people expect it too, and it's unlikely 20 minutes a day a few days per week would be enough unless it's been quite a while.
    Your sleep problems could stem from stress, PMS (which happens to me every month), or even exercising too close to your bedtime.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Poor sleep can definitely be a sign of overtraining/undereating. Why don't you try eating at less of a deficit for a couple weeks and see what happens?
  • amelialou83
    Options
    Helloooooo,
    When I first started my diet I found I suddenly had trouble falling asleep, and my fiance also has the same problem, we both now try and save some calories to have a small snack in the evening. He has a small bowl of cereal and I have a mug of warm milk lol....now neither of us has any trouble nodding off. Also if you dont drink enough water during the day and are dehydrated it can affect your sleep. I hope this helps x
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm thinking, too. I'm thinking my body comp will show that I need to up my intake. We'll have to see.
    Helloooooo,
    When I first started my diet I found I suddenly had trouble falling asleep, and my fiance also has the same problem, we both now try and save some calories to have a small snack in the evening. He has a small bowl of cereal and I have a mug of warm milk lol....now neither of us has any trouble nodding off. Also if you dont drink enough water during the day and are dehydrated it can affect your sleep. I hope this helps x