Is this okay?

Options
For the record I feel fine.

I started this program 10 days ago after keeping record on paper didn't work. I have been eating about 500 calories under my base each day and working out 30 minutes a day. Basic stuff, nothing super advanced. According to my newly fixed ticker I'm lost five pounds. However I keep being told that anything over 1 a week is too much. Should I be concerned?

Replies

• debloves2ride
    Options
    you should slow down on the initial weight loss (as sad as that is) as your body adjusts to your working out and changed food habits. You should eat all of your base calories. Opinions differ on whether you should eat all your work out calories, I eat about half. congratulations on your loss and keep on going!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    5 lbs the first week or so is normal, for some people. Remember, this is not a marathon or a sprint. You will have up weeks and down weeks and you will have some weeks you'll stay the same. Just keep improving your food choices and moving your body. You'll figure it out. Keep up the hard work!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean. If your base is 1200 and you're eating 500 calories less than that, no - that's not o.k. You should be netting at least 1200 calories per day; that's the acceptable minimum.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, changing your eating habits drastically can cause a significant weight loss, but I think that's mostly water weight. I've been known to lose 6 lbs in a week due to water weight.

Also, the more weight you have to lose, the faster it will come off in the beginning. In the first 4 months of my weight loss journey, I lost 40 lbs. Don't fret.

But do eat all your calories, or come as close as you can. Like, 100 under isn't as bad at 500 under.
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You are just starting out so your numbers might be a little larger but they will start to change and you will have good weeks and not so good weeks just keep up the working out and try and burn more than you eat but eat the calories suggested if you can.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    With close to 100 lbs to lose, your first few weeks of loss will be far more extreme people with less to lose. Don't worry about it, so long as you are eating the right amount of calories. What is the "base" you are talking about? Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE so that you are eating the correct number of calories for your body?

Find your TDEE and subtract 20%, eat that number of calories, and don't worry about the rate of loss initially. It will slow down soon.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What is your base? How many calories are you eating a day? Hard to say if it is ok without the details.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If your energy levels are good then you're probably fine. 5lbs a week every week for 2 months is probably bad. 5lbs in the first week is fine as much of that is likely to be water weight and not actual body mass.
  • Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My Base is 2030 (because I'm 5'9?)So I am getting well over 1200. And I'm not hungry during the day, or else I would eat more.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    its ok
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    it's ok, I lost 8 my first week
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    5 pounds is totally normal..I didn't lose anything my first week, then on my second weigh in I lost 5 pounds.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    For the record I feel fine.

I started this program 10 days ago after keeping record on paper didn't work. I have been eating about 500 calories under my base each day and working out 30 minutes a day. Basic stuff, nothing super advanced. According to my newly fixed ticker I'm lost five pounds. However I keep being told that anything over 1 a week is too much. Should I be concerned?
    You should not be concerned. I concur with concretegirl regarding figuring out how much to eat, but regarding the 5 lbs you can be pretty confident that this was NOT all fat, and that's OK.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Totally ok.
    Always eat your 1200 calories per day.
    Plenty of days when i am in net negative calories as sprint and relax works for me
    Marathon analogy or your total weight loss required are both too hard and arduous to focus on so just concentrate on not adding two weeks in a row
    There are too many variables each week between net calories consumed for absolute correlation but works over time
    Good bless mfp

Enjoy and log every single calorie and then burn them babies off
  • LuckyStarrGal
    LuckyStarrGal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm in my third week, lost 7 lbs first week, 1 lb second week, 2 lbs third week so far. I was concerned when I lost that much in my first week too, but it's slowing down. I feel great but I would recommend eating your base calories, you don't want your body to go into starvation mode which will make body hold onto fat. Exactly opposite of what you want it to do. Good luck hope this helps a little!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I always hear that anything over 2 lbs/week is too much.

However this was just ONE week... AND it's your FIRST week. You are probably losing more than just fat, but also water weight. If you feel fine, don't let it concern you.

Just remember to drink LOTS of water, eat at LEAST 1200 calories/day, and keep getting up and working out, however little, every little bit counts! You're doing just fine. ^_^
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're eating enough for your activity level. I have a desk job but I spend more time running around than actually at my desk, so I am listed as lightly active on MFP. This gives me at my current height/weight over 1700 net cals a day. I'm usually around 1400-1500 depending on the day, just because I'm not hungry (and usually by the time I get back from the gym I have over 1100 calories to eat). My weight loss over the last 4 weeks has been 18 pounds, and I have almost 120 to lose total. I'm not super concerned about the number of pounds because this is a dramatic change for my body. If it doesn't level off within the next month to 2 lb/week on average, I'll re-evaluate my calories and modify from there. :) Every body is different and there's no set in stone answer but I think you're fine for now!
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The reason over two pounds is too much is that it will result in loss of muscle and you will not be eating enough to get adequate nutrition, however early on people tend to loose a lot of water weight, which is perfectly normal and fine. And it's good to see you eating those calories!