Re-evaluating goals - If all is good, stay the same?

Options
Not sure if my topic title really explains what I'm getting at. Today is the 4th week I have been on MFP. I have lost 18 pounds. I have my goal set to lose 2 pounds a week. I haven't been on any weight loss plan for almost 10 years. But when I did weight loss plans before, I always lose well if I stick to it and the first few weeks I do really well. Then it tapers off. (I quit before because I heard that being overweight was better than yo-yo-ing all the time, so that was my excuse to remain fat and happy, lol).

Anyway, when I logged my weight in this morning, MFP said that I had lost over 10 pounds since my last goal update and did I want to re-evaluate it (or something to that effect). I said no. My thinking is that I am doing well where I am at right now and I was afraid with the loss, it will drop down my calories/day even more and why should I do that when I am doing well where I am at for now. My thought is to change it up some if/when I start stalling. I am at about 1370 cals/day. I generally am doing 5 days a week of 25 min of cardio and on those days, I eat back most to all of my exercise cals, so I'm thinking if I am being healthy and still losing well, don't change anything just yet. I have about 70-90 pounds to lose. I aim to eat 3-5 fruits/veggies per day (and usually meet that) and always get at least my 8 glasses of water in per day.

Did I do the right thing?

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I would say keep it as you did... I didn't adjust my goals until I'd lost around 30 pounds or so. Do what feels right to you.

Plus, great job on the first 18... :drinker:
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    i think that if you are ok with what you are doing, not getting hungry etc then stay where you are. i know things change (as far as how much to eat etc) when your weight changes but i dont think you have to change anything yet.

great job on the loss by the way!!!!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, remember, as you lose weight, you will be less able to lose weight at the same rate, that's just plain physics. The less surface area fat that is available, the less fat you will be able to extract and use, which means less weight loss (this is over simplified, but it works for this conversation). Add that to having less weight, which means your body doesn't need to work as hard, which means it doesn't need as many calories to function the same way, and this means that you need less calories. Not DRAMATICALLY less, maybe 25 to 50 or so calories less per ten pounds, but still. It's something to keep in mind. So while I don't really have any concerns with you not changing after 10 lbs, it's up to you to remember that if your weight loss does slow or stall, there are reasons behind it that are completely rational and explainable.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    this happened to me also this morning, i said no at this time and ask me again when i lose another 10 piunds then i might change it a bit... im happy with how i am doing now