Does it matter what your calories are?

Options
Both hubby and I are using MFP - he has 1500 cals generally against my 1200. We both eat the same kind of calories for meals but he is picking in the evening!! So frustrating as I have none left!! Anyway, he claims that he can eat 'rubbish' as well as the healthy food to reach the 1500. I say he should be eating healthy choices - fruit, nuts etc. He says it doesnt matter what the calories are as they are still calories regardless. I cant see how eating 1500 calories as chocolate n crisps would enable you to loose weight at the same rate as 1500 of healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. He doesn't obviously do this but it started a discussion about it - just wondering.

So, can you eat rubbish and loose weight as long as you dont go over daily calories? I'm not asking about nutritional values - obviously I know that its not as good for you - BUT can you loose weight??:happy:

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There's a big camp of people that subscribe to the "if it fits your macros" mentality.

For me, I couldn't go from eating junk all day to eating perfectly "clean" all day in one go. Plus the standard of what is "good" and "healthy" can vary a bit person to person.

Do I eat fast food, candy, junk sometiems? Yes. Because that's what's realistic for me. Am I still losing weight? Hell yes.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I would think not. Calories from chocolate are going to be much different than from an apple or a healthy snack. There are differences between healthy sugar, such as those found in fruits and veggies, and unhealthy sugar such as the rubbish food. If I remember from some training I had a few years ago with a nutritionist, different foods can be stored in different ways in your body which means he can eat the rubbish but it will still store as fat. Again...not an expert...just what I remember being told.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Calories in versus calories out for weight loss.
    Eating healthy, filling macros, eating over your bmr and under your tdee and working out for health.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Both hubby and I are using MFP - he has 1500 cals generally against my 1200. We both eat the same kind of calories for meals but he is picking in the evening!! So frustrating as I have none left!! Anyway, he claims that he can eat 'rubbish' as well as the healthy food to reach the 1500. I say he should be eating healthy choices - fruit, nuts etc. He says it doesnt matter what the calories are as they are still calories regardless. I cant see how eating 1500 calories as chocolate n crisps would enable you to loose weight at the same rate as 1500 of healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. He doesn't obviously do this but it started a discussion about it - just wondering.

So, can you eat rubbish and loose weight as long as you dont go over daily calories? I'm not asking about nutritional values - obviously I know that its not as good for you - BUT can you loose weight??:happy:

Your husband is correct for the most part. Taken to extremes (a diet of all junk for example) is not a good idea, but thankfully most people don't actually do this.

EDIT: I am strictly referring to weight loss. I am not referring to health or body composition but if your husband is eating a mixture of "junk food" along with some "nutritient dense" food then I wouldn't worry about it. If he's literally eating a diet composed entirely of nutrient sparse food then he could have problems, but he'll still lose weight.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you want to feel!! I would think that "junk in" would make you feel like junk! And you can eat a lot more if you choose heathy foods!!! You also don't have the continued cravings for more junk.

Also remember that the insulin rush from the junk carbs will store as fat.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    If it fits..he can eat it.. if your still hungry eat more.. 1200 is not enough..
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sorry, your husband is right. Can you not give him bigger portions of your common food so that he has no allowance left by the end of the day, lol?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yep your husband is right. thats actually the way i did it when i first started here. ate junk but just smaller portions. as time went on i found i felt better when i ate real food, but i still lost the same amount of weight.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, calorie intake is paramount, far above everything else. You can lose significant weight, even healthily despite horrible food choices. Of course, it's not optimum for your health over the long term (or your body composition) and probably won't be sustainable (500 calories of cake won't fill you up nearly as long as 500 calories of chicken for example).

Having said that, it is definitely possible, just read: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Calories in versus calories out for weight loss.
    Eating healthy, filling macros, eating over your bmr and under your tdee and working out for health.

^ This in a nutshell. It is something I always knew, but have long denied because it meant doing something I did not like.

This time around I am trying to do a compromise. I'm eating healthier (not always healthy), trying hard to fit my calories into my macros (which can be a challenge unless there's baked chicken waiting in the fridge), not looking for the quick fix (super low calorie), and I'm forcing myself to walk every day and hope to increase my exercise over the next couple of months.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Slight oversimplifcation, but basically

Calories = weight loss
    Macronutirents = energy (carbs), healthy body functions (fats), body composition (protein)
    Micronutrients = health

You can get all the above by generally eating nutrient dense foods but also include less nutrient dense foods as long as your calories/macros allow it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    if it fits your macros! For low calorie diets it would be wise to make better choices so you stay satiated throughout the day though. But 1500 calories in chocolate chips is still 1500 cals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You are both undereating....a man should never be set at 1500 cals, and you should be at a much higher number too. The fact you are both hungry should tell you something.

Here, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Sexyf28
    Sexyf28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I actually put that to the test last week! I ate my calorie goal but ate fast food for every dinner. I did not lose like I did when I ate healthy. Not even close! So yes, it matters
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I actually put that to the test last week! I ate my calorie goal but ate fast food for every dinner. I did not lose like I did when I ate healthy. Not even close! So yes, it matters

Did you hit the same macros?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    For pure weight-loss, it doesn't matter.

For muscle retention you'd need adequate protein (as well as lifting) and eating typical "junk food" doesn't usually provide much protein.

Home-cooked meals, with lots of veg and high fibre & protein, are usually a lot more filling. This makes it easier for a person to stick to their calorie goal. If you're on 1200-1500 a day, why would you make that up with 1 or 2 "unhealthy" meals, when you could have 3 or 4, low calorie, more satisfying meals.

Also, many people report feeling lethargic and other negative symptoms when they eat a diet full of "junk". Maybe because they're getting more nutrients when they're eating better.

Note: I use quotations with junk and unhealthy etc because I don't believe any food on it's own is unhealthy. If you hit your macro and micro needs for the day (everything in moderation and all that) it shouldn't be a problem if you have a few treats - although personally I can't see much room for treats in a calorie intake that low (just my opinion)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    That was the focus of the "Twinkie Diet" http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

This was to prove you can lose weight just by calorie intake.
  • badmojo108
    Options

I am also convinced that the nutritional info posted for many fast food items are lower than the food you actually get.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

One week is does not a test make.