Taking my 1st BodyPump class... Suggestions/advice?

Options
I am taking my very first body pump class on feb 5th! I've never done it before and I am looking for any suggestions or advice on what to expect during the class, and if there is anything I can do in the next few days to prepare. My biggest fear is making an @$$ out of myself in front of a huge group of people because I had no idea what I was getting into!

Some info: just started getting relatively active starting jan 1st- I do 30 day shred. On level 1 day nine. I do at least 30-45 minutes of cardio at least 4 days a week. I've also done some weight training ( 5-8lbs) and resistance training about 3 times a week.
I have never taken a class at a gym....

Thanks in advance for your replys!

Replies

• Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about looking like and @##, everyone has to do their first class!! They will encourage and support you and spur you on! Don't stress and just have a good time.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Body pump is fun! We always do squats, chest press, back, tricept, bicept, lunge/squat, shoulders, then abs. Don't worry about people watching you. They don't watch anymore than other parts of the gym. It is really important to pay attention to form especially during squats & lunges. Take breaks when you need to but still push yourself.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    Thank you!
  • westva2nc
    Options
    Body Pump IS fun and I hope you enjoy it. My suggestion would be to watch how much weight you start off with on the bar. I made the mistake of putting too much weight on it as a beginner. There's nothing wrong with only putting 2.5 to 5 pound weights on each side to start...and when you're ready, you can add weight. I remember leaving my first class with my legs and arms trembling...and I was a bit sore the next day. But better to be sore tomorrow than sorry tomorrow. Good luck to you! After a few classes, you will really start to feel how strong you really are.