Pizza crust/sauce Recipes

Options
kbroy23
kbroy23 Posts: 4 Member
Does anyone have good filling pizza recipes. I am a huge fan of pizza and the old me would sit down and eat at least 4 pieces of a frozen pizza and after reading the calories and basically I can have one piece now but I feel it is a waste of a meal since it is about 350 for that little slice. I would like to make my own. Does anyone have idea, suggestion as for pizza crust and sauce. I already found turkey pepperoni and will use a low fat cheese. But I cant seem to find a sauce and crust that won’t be high in calories/sodium. Any thoughts- comments would be great Thanks

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I have purchased a few varieties of spelt, whole wheat, or some kind of tortilla round at Whole Foods. I spray the top with olive oil and spread some tomato paste and add mushrooms, onions..some fresh spinach and top with a bit of quality parmesan cheese.

Some of the tortilla flats are low in carbs..and calories...
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    You can make your own crust. (pretty easy)
    We make it at home all the time, and one
    of our favorites includes mozzarella, fresh
    tomatoes, and basil with some garlic.

As for the sauce, I just read every label
    and see which is lowest in sodium.

Grilled to perfection.

pizza1.jpg

Pizza2.jpg

pizza3.jpg

pizza4.jpg
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I whole wheat Indian Roti for my crusts (a single serving pizza), and just spread some tomato paste on it and spinkle on garlic powder, oregano, and pepper flakes, parmesan, topped with Weight Watcher's Italian Blend shredded cheese. Sometimes I grate a single string cheese instead. This is less than 200 calories and is yummy and very satisfying. I often have one for breakfast. (Also lunch and dinner.)
  • amichelleg2
    Options
    www.eatingwell.com has a great whole wheat crust. Search there site for "Easy Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough". It's a great recipe. If your worried about the pizza sauce you could buy canned tomato sauce and add garlic and italian herbs. That way You are in control of the ingredients.
  • kbroy23
    kbroy23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas...lets hope one of these will satisfy my love of pizza.
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Look at http://www.flatoutbread.com and they have recipes. It's a high fiber, low cal/carb flatbread that comes in different flavors.
    Works well as pizza crust or wrap sandwiches.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Out of desperation as I am a massive pizza fan and we currently don't have an oven, I improvised with flour tortillas - used one tortilla as the base, put tomato puree, italian herb mix, cheese and your favourite pizza topping on, add another tortilla on top and cook it in a frying pan, like a quesadilla - once it got crispy on the bottom, just flip it. It worked a treat, and the whole round (I had some ham, olives, anchovies on it) came in at around 350 cals ... You can get pretty much all ingredients low cal so can probably get even lower than that! It is the best no-oven-pizza I have ever had!
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    use english muffins as crust and mozz slices for cheese! Makes mini pizzas! Load em with veggies!!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Making your own is by far the best but I found a frozen pizza that isn't outrageous in calories.

Palermo's is the brand and the ultra-thin crust garden veggie pizza is only 405 calories for half of the pizza. I cut it in half frozen and only bake the half I plan to eat and throw the other half back in the freezer so I'm not even tempted for more.
  • cc42379
    Options
    Target has a new absolutely wonderful Archer Farms ultra thin pizza crust. It's 420 calories for the whole crust. We then use Classico fire roasted pizza sauce because it's super low calories and Sargento low fat shredded mozzarella cheese because it's low and the best tasting low fat cheese we've found. We top it with something low cal and it makes for super good and low cal pizza.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time I use pitas for the crust of the pizza. Depending on options where you are you can get one for about 150 cals a pita ("crust"). For the sauce I take a low sodium tomato soup. I remove it from the can and put it in a bowl... than I add various spices, herbs etc and mix up. Such a great sauce! Spread a bit of that on the pita, add some cheese (I prefer to use a sharp, regular fat cheese as you need less of it to get the taste) and load it full of veggies.

WIth how I make it, for the whole thing it usually comes to around 300 calories and is amazing!! They only take about 10-15 minutes to cook so they are a quick meal as well. I usually keep cut up veggies and shredded cheese in the freezer with the pitas and extra sauce for a quick meal.

I have also used Naan bread, a tortilla folded up (kind of like a pizza pocket), or toasted low cal bread.

For the sauce, if I don't have tomato soup I have used canned pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, tomato puree, crushed tomatos with spices and herbs added. By far my favourite pizza sauce is the tomato soup though.

I have also found some two packs of pizza crust at Walmart (and even Dollarama.... I'm in Canada but I'm sure you have equivalents wherever you are) that are fairly low cal. I have used one crust, topped with the sauce it comes with, along with cheese and veggies and the whole pizza is only like 600-700 cals which my husband and I split.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    make a cauliflower pizza crust. I have done this and its excellent. I know the recipe is here on the site too!!
  • meghan_hesse
    meghan_hesse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use crust made from cauliflower (it tastes way better than it sounds and only 178 calories for a fourth of it!)

1 cup raw, grated (or chopped in food processor) cauliflower*
    1 egg
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley
    (may add other italian spices as desired-such as dried or fresh basil)

Directions
    Makes 4, 1-slice servings. Can be doubled for a larger pizza

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray or use parchment paper. (optional-use coconut oil and sprinkle with parmasean cheese before laying dough onto baking surface. Increases calories but I like health benefits of coconut oil. Some, in this forum, may not appreciate using this oil.)

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg, mozzarella and all desired spices. Press evenly on baking pan or pizza stone.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (up to 20 minutes if you double the recipe). You may turn over once if desired.

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese. (Get creative and top with chopped apples and cheese or your own combinations of whatever you like on a pizza. Some examples to choose from are jack cheese, onion, fresh or dried tomatoes, artichokes, shredded/cooked chicken, turkey pepperoni, pineapple, mushrooms, marinara sauce, bell peppers, whatever peppers you like, fresh mushrooms, fresh basil...your imagination is the limit.)

Place under broiler, on high heat, until cheese is melted.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I have purchased a few varieties of spelt, whole wheat, or some kind of tortilla round at Whole Foods. I spray the top with olive oil and spread some tomato paste and add mushrooms, onions..some fresh spinach and top with a bit of quality parmesan cheese.

Some of the tortilla flats are low in carbs..and calories...

I do the same thing to get my pizza fix. Has way fewer calories than eating actual pizza. If the tortilla is not filling enough you can also buy wheat flatbread. Little extra calories/carbs but still better for you.
  • shellybob79
    shellybob79 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    I read on another post yesterday some girl made quinoa pizza bites. only 45 calories each. Looked super yummy.

http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/02/quinoa-pizza-bites.html
  • formongo
    formongo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use a Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Lavash (http://www.josephsbakery.com/p-10222-Flax-Oat-Bran-and-Omega-3-Square-Lavash) as pizza crust. It's lower-carb, only 100 calories for a whole one (which is pretty large) and makes a great thin crust pizza. I toast it in the oven for a few minutes, then put on my toppings, then put in back in the oven for about 6 minutes.

I also make my own lower-carb snack crackers out of these flatbreads by putting on a thin coat of olive oil and then sprinkling on some herbs and seasonings, bake until brown and crispy, about 7 minutes. Very yummy.