5 HTP, A new Myth or Miracle...?

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why anyone would want to mess with their brain chemistry is baffling.

I lose more and more respect for Dr. Oz with each magic pill.

nootropics mmmmmmmm
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love how Dr. Oz prescibes mostly untested OTC "miracle" drugs as panaceas to our health woes. Yeah, that was full of sarcasm.

I was on 5-HTP for several months and I'll say it did wonders for my sleep until I ended up with crazy tachycardia, palpitations and premature ventricular beats. In short, I thought I was dying.

My doc isn't certain of the mechanism but is sure this is what caused my heart troubles since going off of it all of those symptoms have subsided.

Anyhow, it turns I have an underlying heart condition and if I'd continued on taking this miracle supplement I might not have been around for a very long time...but then again, I might have lost weight *eye roll*
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I love how Dr. Oz prescibes mostly untested OTC "miracle" drugs as panaceas to our health woes. Yeah, that was full of sarcasm.

I was on 5-HTP for several months and I'll say it did wonders for my sleep until I ended up with crazy tachycardia, palpitations and premature ventricular beats. In short, I thought I was dying.

My doc isn't certain of the mechanism but is sure this is what caused my heart troubles since going off of it all of those symptoms have subsided.

Anyhow, it turns I have an underlying heart condition and if I'd continued on taking this miracle supplement I might not have been around for a very long time...but then again, I might have lost weight *eye roll*

Eek...I guess we'll all lose weight decomposing in our graves. Or really feel the burn in the incinerator! :laugh:
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use 5htp instead of my anxiety meds. Works great, over the counter and I save the hassle of having to be labeled with anxiety and pay the doc to do something I can do myself. Without the side effects of prescription anti anxiety meds. My cravings are decreasing I can only assume because my nerves are not all over the place.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note on supplements:

Most are manufactured by a 3rd party for a distributor (MuscleTech, Nutratech, etc.) and the ingredients are basically the same for items designed to do the same thing (ie thermogenics).
    My biggest issue is that much of the raw material is imported from places like China and supplements (because of the DSHEA act) don't have to go through the scrutiny like a drug does. So how do we know these supplements are "pure"? That they aren't contaminated? We don't. Unless something shows up or is complained about.

Supplements attribute about 1% to whatever goal one achieves. The other 99% of it is from correct eating, exercise and rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I used to have a big crush on Doc Oz. But now I am ashamed for him. He is really losing credibility talking about all these different supplements all the time. He needs to have a supplement segment to his show and couch it as an informational few minutes on the newest stuff out there. However..the way he does it now is a real shame.
    When did he have credibility?
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone should just take this without talking to their Dr. I used it in college as an anti depressant and its fairly powerful. It did reduce my appetite which I suppose could be seen as helping aid in weight loss but I certainly would not use it for that reason because once you stop you will just gain that weight back any way.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So how do we know these supplements are "pure"? That they aren't contaminated? We don't.

I agree, we don't. Also a lot of people seem to think natural = safe, when it is not.
  • Ade2013
    Ade2013 Posts: 28
    Options
    5 hydroxy tryptophan is simply a precursor to tryptophan, its used as many have stated here to calm the nerves and bring about a deeper sleep, i suppose it could help out people who eat because of nervousness etc. There are many years of study on this supplement but i cant see it being of any use besides replacing your prozac packs !

So before you rush out and buy i really would consider whether you need a natural anti depressant or not :wink:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It won't matter how much we prepare for a response here and we'll just be bullies if we say it isn't the way to go.

QFT

Although, I'd rather be considered a bully by many and maybe have the chance to help just ONE person than say nothing and watch everyone self-destruct.

Wait, maybe I just like to cuddle with bullies.....
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Why anyone would want to mess with their brain chemistry is baffling.

I lose more and more respect for Dr. Oz with each magic pill.

Couldn't agree more, could someone pass the wine please? ;)

I tried 5 HTP for a while to help sleep, kept me awake, I prefer magnesium these days.