almond milk or soy milk?

Options

Replies

• coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    • I'm lactose-intolerant, so rarely drink cow's milk because have to take costly pills AND still have to limit to 8-12 oz.
    • Switched to Lactaid milk; worked flawlessly, but would spoil before I drank it all.
    • Switched to soy; worked but didn't care for the texture.
    • Switched to almond; worked but didn't care for the look, especially when I freeze half and keep other half in clear container and it separates.
    • Switched to coconut... :love: It's a little 'thin', but I was a skim/1% drinker anyway, so not an issue. Plus the thiness seems to allow protein powder to blend better.

M2C; YMMV
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk preferred here!
  • grimcosgirl
    Options
    I like Almond milk. About a year ago I lost my taste for milk, it just started to taste slightly bad all the time even if it was a fresh gallon. So i tried both soy and almond. I like the flavor of almond but I do stay away from the sweeted ones (vanilla, chocolate) because they are empty calories but also because it seems too sweet (to me) especially if you put it over already sweet cereal. I like the blue diamond brand, stay away from almond breeze because it seems kind of watery to me.

Nutritionally, i think they are all pretty good. I guess certain brands (almond) are supposed to have "twice the amount of protein (or calcium) " or something like that. While soy is lactose free but still has lots of protein. I guess it depends what your personal needs as far as protein/calcium/vitamin D/and whatever else is.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
  • linda3145
    linda3145 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try almond but I use rice milk on porridge. Can anyone compare the benefits for me please?
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    which is best almond milk or soy milk or should I just do my skim milk. Just what to know what is the best for nutrition.
    Skim milk is more nutritious than the soy or almond. I would stick with the skim...
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So for those who don't drink soy milk, you don't eat edamame/tofu either? I'm curious bc I have a family history of thyroid cancer and goiters.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    So for those who don't drink soy milk, you don't eat edamame/tofu either? I'm curious bc I have a family history of thyroid cancer and goiters.
    Used to drink soy milk, and used to eat tofu. Not any more though.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat tofu either...and I never personally liked soy milk. I do like coconut milk especially when cooking, and almond milk over cereal. The days of a glass of milk are long gone though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat tofu either...and I never personally liked soy milk. I do like coconut milk especially when cooking, and almond milk over cereal. The days of a glass of milk are long gone though.

Same. Found out I'm hypo from years of excessive soy.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    Studies have linked soy to breast and ovarian cancer. My oncologist actually recommends organic whole milk if you can get it.

But if you don't have such concerns, I'd go with almond milk.

have a read of this.
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/expertvoices/post/2012/08/02/the-bottom-line-on-soy-and-breast-cancer-risk.aspx
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do almond milk and love it
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk, unflavored. I also like to use unsweetened coconut milk. Don't like the flavor of soy after using almond.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk! Soy milk tastes like. Beans to me
  • charlenebronson
    charlenebronson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with many others, stay away from soy! I've had almond milk, rice milk and coconut milk and find the taste and texture of coconut milk to be the best. I buy the So Delicious unsweetened. I have found other brands flavor their coconut milk to taste more like coconut and that doesn't appeal to me at all. So Delicious can be found mostly at Whole Paycheck and other health food stores.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of almond milk! Not the Silk brand...it's too thick. AlmondBreeze is my favorite! :-) Hope this helps!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk! Soy milk tastes like. Beans to me

Hilarious!!!
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    Soy slender vanilla is my favorite but I swtich between 2% milk and soy milk
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just drink skim cow's milk. It is organic. I might have to try some of these suggestions. I always thought almond and soy milk sounded yuckie, but one of my goals is to try new foods with an open mind. I had tofu for the first time the other day and it wasn't bad. I eat edamamme but not often. No history of thyroid or cancer so an occasional soy product doesn't seem too bad for me.
  • missfitt79
    Options
    Soy mimics estrogen in the body and they suggest you limit your weekly servings to avoid increasing your risk for breast cancer. I also prefer the taste of unsweetened almond milk over soy milk.

....always do your research. also may want to look at the sources of the soy in America. I prefer almond as well. There is also a coconut/almond blend