When to lift weights?

Options
So I was reading up on a little article the other day, which seemed to be a bit on the amateur side, but it said that when you're lifting weights, you should give your muscles 72 hours [ three days ] rest before going at them again. Is this true that you should really wait this long to allow the muscles to repair/build? It seems like a bit of a long time considering I can generally go three-four straight days of weights before I begin to feel any discomfort at all.

Replies

• NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You should wait a minimum of 48 hours before hitting THE SAME muscle groups again. Depending on intensity this amount of time can be less or more. Personally I can only hit my muscle groups once per week or my joints start complaining after a while. Remember, muscles grow/repair in the days after an intense lifting session. Rest and food are required for this to happen efficiently.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    I suppose this makes sense as to why I see most people only posting about doing weight sessions three times a week at most. Gives them the time they need to recuperate. Thanks for the input! I will go by what you said. :)
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Cool. Although just to clarify (and the reason I wrote "THE SAME" in caps) you can work out 7 days a week if you wish, so long as you split up your training so that you are working different muscle groups on different days thus giving each group enough rest. Or if you are doing a full body routine you could simply train every other day. You basically have to figure out what works best for you. I would HIGHLY recommend using a program like "starting strength" or "5x5" to begin. These programs are designed to build you a good base of strength quickly and efficiently.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I agree with the 48 hours. I would also suggest working your full body 3 times per week vs doing splits. This will produce the best results for most beginners.

If you aren't feeling your strength workouts you aren't doing it right!!! Add higher weights, work to failure, and do more sets until you notice soreness then next day.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    I heard about this 5x5 program and quickly viewed it on youtube but wasn't sure it would be a good fit for me. I don't have a gym membership right now, so all I have is my cardio and a bench press/light dumbbells at my disposal. Do you need anything more than that for the 5x5?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Yea i've always seen you don't want to hit the same muscle group more that 1 time per week ... Although Stronglifts does have you doing it multiple times per week. but always 48 hours in between so maybe thats a better gauge
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    As previously mentioned, don't really have a gym pass of any type. Would barbell squats count as legs, or is that working the same muscles from me bench pressing. I'm a complete nooby to weight lifting, for the most part. So I definitely need a guiding hand.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    I heard about this 5x5 program and quickly viewed it on youtube but wasn't sure it would be a good fit for me. I don't have a gym membership right now, so all I have is my cardio and a bench press/light dumbbells at my disposal. Do you need anything more than that for the 5x5?

You need to be able to do squats. And how much weight do you have for your bench
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just read the New Rules of Lifting...the women's version. The original book is geared towards men...they suggest 2 to 3 days a week and no more than that in order for your muscles to repair themselves. Great book with a great workout. Takes you step by step, week by week. Definitley worth a read.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    Goto stronglifts.com and see if you have the equipment you need there or if there are any modifications you can do. He is kinda against modifications but some of them work
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    My weights don't even say if they're Kg's or lbs. If they're Kgs, it's roughly 135 pounds. If not, I believe it's like 62 lbs?... It has to be Kg's, cause it definitely feels like a hell of a lot more than 62 lbs i'm benching.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Checking this out now.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I like Tuesdays around 1045 am and Thursdays around 945. Fits into my schedule :p
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    Yea thats 135. Youd probably need to get more weight also. Your squat and deadlift will get much more than that quickly. Just depends on how much you want to do 5x5. Also there are beginner plans on bodybuilding.com
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    I like Tuesdays around 1045 am and Thursdays around 945. Fits into my schedule :p

Nice legs
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Yea thats 135. Youd probably need to get more weight also. Your squat and deadlift will get much more than that quickly. Just depends on how much you want to do 5x5. Also there are beginner plans on bodybuilding.com

More weights shouldn't be a problem. I'm reading up on it now to try and find out where it says what I need to begin this program. And what in the love of god is a "deadlift"?
    Options

More weights shouldn't be a problem. I'm reading up on it now to try and find out where it says what I need to begin this program. And what in the love of god is a "deadlift"?

IMHO they are second only to squats for lifts that will change your fitness.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/
    Options
    My weights don't even say if they're Kg's or lbs. If they're Kgs, it's roughly 135 pounds. If not, I believe it's like 62 lbs?... It has to be Kg's, cause it definitely feels like a hell of a lot more than 62 lbs i'm benching.

FYI if you have an Olympic barbell that weighs 45 lbs with no weights
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    I really don't think it's much weight itself. It's got like a black plastic coating, but i'll take my weights off and lift it next time to see if there is anything at all to it.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    It should weigh about 21 kg