roasted vegetables

I had roasted a variety of different vegetables the other day: red onion, cauliflower, green/red peppers, mushrooms and carrots. I mixed it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sea salt, pepper. I made the mistake of not measuring each vegetable out. I just threw it all together. I'm thinking when they came out of oven it might have been 3 cups(?) total. Does anyone know how to figure out calories for that? Sometimes I just throw together whatever veggies I have and don't think about measuring out each one. Has anyone ever done this?

Replies

• I do that all the time. I think of veggies as an "all you can eat" food so I'm not too concerned with getting an exact calorie count for them. I'd be sure to add your oil to your food diary since that's got fat and calories, and then just estimate on the veggies. Maybe say a half cup of each that you listed below?
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    I agree. I would count the olive oil too.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    You can enter it into the recipe calculator on this site and just estimate the amount of vegetables, but try to keep your olive oil count accurate as it is higher in calories!
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    If you're tracking sodium, don't forget to add the sea salt. I used maybe a half of a teaspoon the other day, and it pushed me over my daily limit (and I consciously try to limit sodium).

Agree with above posters about measurements.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    MFP has entries for things like a whole onion, pepper, etc. So if you know you used half an onion or whatever you can do it that way. Or if you're going by volume, just estimate: did it seem like you used about 1 cup of cauliflower florets? Enter it as such. Since most veggies are low-calorie you won't be too far off with the calorie count even if your estimates are.

Volume measurements or whole vegetable entries are going to be off a little anyway, since they are dependent on variables like how finely you chopped that carrot or how big your head of cauliflower was. The only way that's truly accurate is to measure by weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I always do it. I cook a lot so I'm pretty good at eyeballing portions. If it's off a little on a vegetable it's not going to make enough difference to matter.
  • labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Thanks everyone....will make sure I take the time to measure out veggies when I do this again