Need other men's input on body type goal

Options
2»

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Step one: Throw out your scale. You're already at the low side of where a MAN should be at that height. Your problem isn't being too fat, your problem is you have no muscle mass. Instead of weight, you need to measure your success based on % body fat and the amount of lean mass you have. Unfortunately, a consequence of your approach so far has been an excess loss of muscle. I'd guess 25% or more of your "loss" to date was NOT fat, but was muscle mass. You have to reverse that ASAP.

Step two, STOP doing cardio unless it's just a bit of walking. It's doing nothing for you. You need to do 2 things: One, lift HEAVY to pack on some muscle mass. Two, do HIIT training to help build muscle, burn fat, and keep your cardiovascular endurance up without exacerbating the problem.

Step three: Eat more! You're not going to reach your goals eating like a girl.
  • buudharich
    Options
    I'm a bit in the same boat though I'm 5'7" and started at 270 and I'm now in the 220-ish. Can't get rid of belly fat eating hummus and green veggies, I guess.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses!

My workout regime is usually 50/50 cardio/stregth. about 30 minutes varying cardio excercizes and alternating legs/core/upper on strength on a 5 day basis (mon-legs, tues-core, weds-upper, then repeat)

My diet is staying pretty consistent under 1600 calories with the calories burned mixed with that. stay away from fast food, high fat foods, concentrate on fruits, veggies, and chicken/turkey.

I'm trying to find a measure to tape to take accurate readings so stand by. and by 'gut' i suppose i mean my navel area. And while it itself has shrinked in size, i was just concerned it wasnt shrinking in proportion to the rest of my body, hense why I was thinking in needed to drop my goal weight to counter this (who knows, i may be a tall lanky frame underneath lol)

You need to figure out your TDEE and eat at a cut that isn't insane.. your just eating away muscle that low so all your work is going out the window.. probably look at eating 2k+ calories.. diet is a huge part to the body you want.
  • nice59fordf100
    nice59fordf100 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As far as the calories, im just staying around where the App is telling me, 1580 calories net.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As far as the calories, im just staying around where the App is telling me, 1580 calories net.

i bet you're set to lose 2lb per week?
  • nice59fordf100
    Options

i bet you're set to lose 2lb per week?

I have it set for 1.5 lbs a week, with a sedentary lifestyle ( I work as a part-desk part-shop foreman job at a ford dealership)
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to adjust that. You aren't sedentary anymore. Your workout regimine gets you past that. Try adjusting to moderately active (you could actually probably go higher, but if that makes you feel uneasy, at least go to moderate exercise) and try that for a while.

Believe these folks when they tell you this, because I fought in my head for a while too, but when I finally listened and started to force myself to actually eat MORE, I started to lose weight. You'll get there, its just that after that first few months, the weight loss slows down quite a bit and we have to actually learn to be patient. Our bodies adjust, and our muscle is building. I bet you'd be surprised if you took a picture in the mirror today, then a week from today, and every week after that, then look at the pictures in succession in 5-6 weeks....even if the scale isn't showing it, and even if that little bit of a gut still remains, I'll bet you'd be surprisingly impressed with yourself.
  • nice59fordf100
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I was wondering why guys of my same height can be my current weight, but have lean bodies (Again, not looking for 6 or 8 pack abs here, just smooth). Ill give everything above a try and hope for the best. Maybe one day I will finally be attractive!