Healthy eating at a party?

Options
I guess I'm just after tips and support, I'm going to my cousins for a family gathering on Saturday night, there'll be a buffet sort of thing with tables full of nibbles and sweets and stuff. I'm not intending to crack, have a little (I haven't had the best week) but not stuff my face. I was wondering also how to deal with the 'Why arent you eating a second slice of cake etc ?' awkwardness, suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    pre-load before you go... high fiber foods. Veggies, etc. keep some green peppers handy in your purse ni a ziplock.

even just thinking about this ahead of time, you will already be prepared.

thinking ahead and planning/practicing the scenario is a HUGE help!

Accountability helps as well. Re-post and tell us all what your goals and boundaries are going to be (I will have 1 piece of cake, i will eat 3 chicken wings, etc) and then report on Monday to let us know how it went!

Good luck.
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    All you got to tell them is that you're full. I would surely hope they don't pressure you to binge. If it's family, then it shouldn't hurt to tell them you are on a diet plan, right? I try to snack healthy before I go to a party. I look up everything on MFP and log them in before I eat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just after tips and support, I'm going to my cousins for a family gathering on Saturday night, there'll be a buffet sort of thing with tables full of nibbles and sweets and stuff. I'm not intending to crack, have a little (I haven't had the best week) but not stuff my face. I was wondering also how to deal with the 'Why arent you eating a second slice of cake etc ?' awkwardness, suggestions? Thanks!

Eat what you want as it sounds like it's a special family gathering, get back on track the next day. 1 day of eating won't derail your diet unless you let it
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just keep repeating "Thank you, but I've really had enough - and it all was wonderful."
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Love the questions and or advice you get from people who have never had to diet, or worse, have never been successful at dieting.
    Just reply "I am watching what I eat, as I have set a goal for myself and I intend to keep it"
    Then stick to your guns.
    I had an OBESE relative say that kind of crap to me in May when I started my quest, at a birthday party.. I answered him as stated above. Today he is about 35 lbs heavier and I am 47 lbs lighter.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    'Why arent you eating a second slice of cake etc ?' awkwardness, suggestions? Thanks!

Do you really think anyone will be encouraging you to eat seconds. Okay let's just say they do, tell them because, I'm already eating this awesome dip, or jello, or whatever you've moved onto.

I feel I must tell a story about the brother in law who tried to get me drunk at a new years party. I whoot and hooted everytime he came by my glass and topped me off and when the hooting died down dumped it down the sink, in the bushes, in the toilet anywhere not to end up a drunk hot mess and ruin my chances with my then fiance. It worked I stayed sober and got to drive my fiance home instead of waiting to see what the getting me drunk was leading to. Think of it as THAT important. It is, it's your life you're saving with your efforts to eat right.