Low calorie ideas for a salad dressing????

Options

Replies

• Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I second the Greek yogurt with ranch seasonings, although my absolute favorite "dressing" for a salad right now is just plain ol' avocado, mashed up with a tiny bit of garlic salt. I put it over any type of green and mix it all up to coat evenly so it doesn't seem clumpy. Good stuff!
  • sltpsu15
    sltpsu15 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They have those wishbone salad spritzers in ranch...I think it's 10 cals for 12 squirts? But it is good! Kens also makes a great ff raspberry pecan vinegarette (sp)
  • tlkrallman
    Options
    My family laughs at me when it comes to eating a salad. They like to drown theirs, and I admit I use to as well. I'm not a fan of low cal, light, non fat dressings. I think you sacrafice the flavor for calories or fat free and then you just don't want to eat the salad anyway. So I take a shot glass, (crazy I know) 2 tablespoons fit perfectly and put my salad dressing in there. I then dip my fork into the dressing before I get some salad. You get the flavor of salad dressing with every bite and you use way way less salad dressing. Plus you get to actually taste the salad. When I'm done with a salad I usually have over half of the dressing in the shot glass left.
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine loves the Cilantro dressing in the refrigerated vegetable section at Trader Joe's.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I use the Balsalmic Vinegar Spritzer by wishbone. 1 cal per spray!
  • MelsaEstel
    MelsaEstel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also mix salsa with sour cream. Delicious!

Another store bought idea is there are yogurt based dressings in the produce section of the grocery store. I found a really great honey mustard dressing there for about 30 cal per 2 Tbsp.
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump Great ideas!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Toss your salad (hahaha) with red wine vinegar and a tsp of olive oil, add spices like sage,onion powder,basil, etc. the only thing with cals will be the olive oil
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great as a base for creamy dressings. I haven't tried it in thousand island yet, but it might work. The usual dressing is mayo, ketchup, and dill weed or pickle relish.

If you have ranch dressing mix, try using yogurt and subbing in a peeled cucumber for the milk, if you have a blender to run it through.
  • iowachapman
    iowachapman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i know you said you dont like oil and vinegar, but try balsamic, it is a little sweet, and then add a few drops of honey.. its really good.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you like taco salads, some nonfat sour cream mixed with salsa is pretty tasty. Adding lime and hot sauce is optional but gives a nice punch of flavor.
    I like to use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream..better for you and pretty close in taste! However if you can't tell, I use Greek yogurt for just about everything D:

I have never really liked the greek yogurt. I think it was because it wasn't as sweet as regular yogurt. Now I am curious to see if I would like it like that!! Ty
    You can always sweeten it to taste with jello powder, artificial sweetener, honey, it goes on! Hopefully it works for you in a savory way though!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    you can make low cal ranch using the powder mix, low fat olive oil mayo, and reduced fat milk. Mines comes to 50 cal for 2 T.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Roasted Red Pepper Dressing. It is fat free, obviously and only 15 calories per 2 tablespoons. It isn't spicy; I know it sounds like that though, lol. It is so amazing and yummy. I definitely recommend you to try it because you'll never wanna try a different dressing. :p
  • janisdianis
    janisdianis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am excited for my salad tonight lol :)
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    I plan on having a salad for dinner, and instead of using Ranch I need great ideas on what to use as a dressing. One thing I can say is I DO NOT like any type of oil/vinegar style dressing.....

Thank you :happy:

5.5 ounces of greek yogurt (Yoplait 100 calories), 1/4 cup frozen raspberries, 2 tbls of lemon juice. Mix in food processor till smooth. Yum! Can thin with fat free milk for creamier version.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Iknow this will sound crazy but hot sauce & mustard. I change up the mustard with yellow, spicy or dijon to be different.
  • princess4mimi
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • mrjtc
    mrjtc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to have my salad with just a little bit of salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and either a freshly squeezed lemon or lime.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    2T fresh orange juice, 2T fresh lime juice, 2t. dijon, 2t. honey, sal, pepper. Mix your salad in a large bowl, dress the bowl not the salad. Pour a little down the sides of the bowl and toss the salad in, you will use less dressing. This dressing goes well with spinach, sliced apple and red onion (thin sliced). Top with a little FF blue cheese. Check out the site www.3fatchicks.com I found this salad years ago on there, it is mine and my wifes fav. Good Luck
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms Creamy Bacon Ranch 0 calories... Don't know how they do it
    Bolthouse yogurt Blue cheese 45 calories a tbs