Bicycle Purchase Help

Options
I am looking to buy my first bicycle since I was 10 and had a banana seat and tassels! I am not looking for anything extravagant- something cheap and functional for tooling around a couple of miles here or there. I live in a third floor walk up, so lightweight is key in order for me to actually use it.

Anyone have any suggestions/advice as to where to look or items/issues to be aware of and look for?

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would like around on your local Craiglist and other resources in the area like that -- for intance a credit union publishes a weekly bulletin for members to list stuff for sale. If you are patient, you'll find a nice lightly used bike that someone bought with good intentions but only rode a few times. If that doesn't pan out, or you want to buy new, find your local bike stores (not Walmart or retail stores like that) and see what they have. They can help steer you towards the right fit and right price, if they're a reputable store.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you can (max) & want (min) to spend and then find your local bike shop. Tell them what you want to do (some light training and commuting, racing, crusing, etc) and what you plan to spend (your min number), and that you don't want any extras over what are the minimum to get started. They should try to do their best to fit your requirements and budget (they don't know you may be able to spend a little or even a lot more) and get you a quality bike. If they don't, go find a competitor's shop.

The best part about this process is that they will pick a bike with a frame that fits you. Plus with a bike purchase most stores will fit the bike for you and make sure your seat and handle bars are at the proper height for a comfprtable ride. They want to please you so you not only come back, but tell all your friends how awesome they are.

Once you know what size frame you should ride, then when you look to upgrade (if and when) you'll have extra options available to you like Craig's List, Ebay, etc. Good luck and I hope you find it just as addictive as I have (sunshine and nice weather really helps...;)).