BodyPump: Yes or No?

Options
I am taking a bodypump class at my gym. Can I get good results from that or am I going to have to venture out into the weight room on my own?

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I am taking a bodypump class at my gym. Can I get good results from that or am I going to have to venture out into the weight room on my own?

Will you get results probably.

Will you get better results in the weight room probably. Provided you have a decent routine.

It all comes down to what you want and like.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Exactly, all depends what you mean by 'good results' - that varies for everyone.

In an ideal world you'd probably combine both body pump (which is designed to improve endurance - not strength) and a heavy weight low rep programme. But trust me Body Pump has lots of its own benefits so people shouldn't dismiss it just because it is high rep. But like anything you really have to go regularly, once a week isn't really going to do anything, shoot for 2-3 times a week to see improvement. Have fun!
  • VibrantKrystle
    VibrantKrystle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've done it and while I did enjoy I still did my own lifting in the weight room as well.
  • VibrantKrystle
    VibrantKrystle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started taking bodypump 2 -3x a week for about 6 months starting last march. it transformed me! I mean how can you not see great results when each of the workouts is giving your WHOLE body a workout. They do over 800 reps per class. I still do the class 1x a week and mix in running and 2 more days of a routine my trainer gave me. STICK with it. I started squatting with only 20# and am up to 40#. I started back with 15# and now am up to #25. Triceps went from 10# to 20#. I have to more arm jiggle!!
    I weigh less than I did last march, WAY more definition and I feel stronger head to toe.

i love the class SO much i was approached by an instructor and she asked if I ever thought about teaching. Stick with it...you'll grow to LOVE it
  • 21Pontoon
    Options
    Body pump is a really good class for an hours combination of cardio with a little added weights, when I did body pump (which my new gym doesn't do) I saw results quick and they lasted, if you do a pump class in conjunction with other body classes they really compliment each other.
    If, however, you're trying to get super-toned / muscular and strong then they aren't the best, I'd recommend doing a little of both for that desired effect. Lifting some weights isn't going to hurt you and you can get a better technique when you can go at your own pace to target all the proper muscles. I found that with Pump it was great, fast paced and challenging but it also didn't give you enough time to check your form and get things perfect. you'll probably find also that if you do weights outside of pump your general form in pump will improve and you'll get more out of those classes in the long run.
    hope this helped, feel free to add me if you like x
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love pump, and if you haven't done weights before then it's a great place to start and you will definitely see results.

Once you start seeing results and get used to some lifting, you should give the weight room a go. Get a good PT or a good program to get you started.

I do a mixture of New Rules of Lifting for Women and pump.
  • Bulldogmomma3
    Bulldogmomma3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to do body pump 3x/week and it totally transformed my body. I think you will definitely see results.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input!