need help with water!!

Options

Replies

• janeilm89
    Options
    I was a MAJOR soda drinker for years, haven't had one in about a month, so getting used to drinking just water has been a struggle for me. I've been getting anywhere from 4 to 6 cups a day, one is usually made with a packet of Crystal light, 10 calories, no sugar, and OK to use in moderation. I wouldn't suggest drinking all your water that way but one glass can't hurt!
  • halst451
    Options
    I was exactly the same! I bought a drink bottle with one of those filters at the top. The water where I live tastes gross so this helped it taste nice :) once I got into the habit of drinking water I was fine. Now I just have a normal bottle and drink tap water. I always forget to log it but at least I know I drink 2L a day. I try to reach for the water and drink a big gulp (or two) whenever I feel like soda. I do drink soda still but not nearly as much :) my skin is sooooo much nicer now!! And I'm sure I save money lol
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    A straw! And drink a glass as soon as you get up in the morning and one when you brush your teeth. :happy:
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    try getting a soda stream and then adding cordial. Im still a sucker for pepsi max but its low cal and sweet so gives me a mini sweet fix. drink loads of low cal cordials now though. don't worry about the 8 glasses thing just try to get some !
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot more of anything when I drink it through a straw. I use a water bottle with a straw for this reason. Sometimes I'll add lemon juice and stevia for a no calorie lemonade.
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have struggled with dehydration since I was a teenager. Meaning every few years I have to get IV fluids because I'm too dehydrated...and the rest of the time I ignore it. I've never been a big soda, coffee, tea, alcohol drinker so water is easy for me to commit to...it's just so boring :frown:! I suppose that's why I don't drink much....nothing gets me excited. But I've found that if you drink 1 bottle...and I mean guzzle...when you first wake up and do the same before bed then that's half your water and now I found the Crystal Light Wild Strawberry Energy packets and those are great...to me.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about Mio! It helped me for about the first week when I started trying to drink tons of water. I also got a Platypus water bottle that I carried with me RELIGIOUSLY, and I drank water constantly! It's honestly gotten to the point where water with Mio or other flavoring is kind of a treat, and it's a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth. I just started adding less and less, until I was just drinking water all of the time!
    It kind of becomes a huge habit. Wake up, first thing I want is a buttload of water. After my morning coffee? Water. When I get hungry for a snack? Water first, then wait to see if I'm actually hungry. It helps in so many ways!
  • nemosarah
    nemosarah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I carry around a litre bottle and give myself 3 hours to drink it then constantly refill it when im empty usually do about 4 litres x
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sorry no real help on the water, I find I like it just fine no flavor mixes but just very, very cold. Way to go on the quitting the soda keep it up! I used to drink 15 cans a day and had drank soda for 30 years. Diagnosed with diabetes in November and gave it up don't even miss it anymore.
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    At first I made myself drink a glass when I woke up and one before bed. When at the office I make sure to have a bottle full of water at all times; if you get hungry, a glass of water, if you get bored: a glass of water. Before you know it, you'll be on 5 or 6 glasses a day!

You can do it dear!!

Oh, I reward myself with ONE small glass of diet coke every few days (once a week maybe?)
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I find it easiest to drink a lot of water while doing my workout on the treadmill and stationary bike. I can kill 5 cups in 25 minutes easy. Then get a few more in post work out. That's all just in about a 1 hr time frame. At work I do use the drink packs that you just add to water to make it through the day.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    yea I have the same prob,

the best thing you can do is not allow any thing to drink at meals except water. I find a drink a lot of water whn I do this
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I like to alternate between Mio and water. Knowing that I can have flavored water next helps me to drink the water that I have in front of me. I have to chug water because I'm not a big fan of it but I'm working on it :-)
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I found myself a water bottle that I absolutely loved drinking out of! Doesn't matter what's in it, it disappears within a few minutes- sometimes 30 seconds. I don't know what it is exactly about this particular bottle- the shape, the mouthpiece- whatevs, it works for me.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I make it a game....

Before I drink my coffee I drink 2 glasses.

For my drives to anywhere (I either have my 16 oz hot herbal tea for the drive or a 24 oz water bottle) - bottoms up on the way to work/shop/visit a girlfriend whatever... cause they're gonna have a bathroom on the other end.

Then I usually do this in reverse for the drive home - get a hot tea at the grocery store, fill up my waterbottle.

Sometimes on MFP I add 2 or 3 glasses into my log and then go drink it up... for accountability.

Whatever works for you!
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    Kicking my soda habit and replacing it with water is challenge for me too. The MIO and Dasani help but it's still a bunch of chemicals. Like many of the good habits we chose to adopt, just got to decide and do it... now i'm talking more to myself than the OP :)
    yodadoordonot_zps9390922d.png
  • nemelkb
    Options
    My Fav water ideas:
    - water with cucumber and ice
    - sparkling water with a tiny drop of apple juice, slice of lime and ice (fresh mint tastes amazing with it if you have any)
    - water with ice and chopped up strawberries
    - bobble water bottle makes water taste amazing (google it)

Good luck! :smile:

I do things like this as well.

Add: lemon slices, orange slices, pineapple tidbits, herbal teas without sugar but use stevia or something instead....keep a pitcher in your fridge with the water prepared and flavored, that may help.
    I also think having a really fun glass or water bottle to drink from is encouraging. hah....silly, but it is more exciting then.
  • DanaJ1983
    Options
    A few things that might help purely from my personal experience
    1) I count my water by the cup (8oz) instead of the glass. It's sort of like a game and I get a serious amount of satisfaction when I can log my water over 8 cups and watch the water icon overflow.
    2) Water helps the body to detox as it it helps to flush your system. Anytime I have a headache I consume water and it almost always goes away I figure either my body was trying to detox something or I was dehydrated, either way I've solved the problem without medicinal intervention.
    3) I have found that when I'm properly hydrated I sleep better and I don't have back/joint pain or stinky breath.
    4) I eat less when I consume more water
    5) I view water as free, not in the monetary sense but in the caloric sense, I can have as much as I want any time I want and it will get me closer to my goal not further away
    6) lastly if I drink water through a straw I drink way more than I do without the straw.

Hope this helps
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Kicking my soda habit and replacing it with water is challenge for me too. The MIO and Dasani help but it's still a bunch of chemicals. Like many of the good habits we chose to adopt, just got to decide and do it... now i'm talking more to myself than the OP :)
    yodadoordonot_zps9390922d.png

9/10 for Yoda gif. Would read again.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP!!

I have trouble drinking water. Can anyone suggest ways I can drink my 8 glasses a day. I use to drink a lot if coke, but not had any for 4 days. Taking it day by day with that, as it was a daily habit. Tried to drink water with cordial, but can only manage a glass a day. I don't know whether that counts as part of my 8 glasses a day!! Please help as trying my best to be healthy. Thank you. :)

Hi, Studies show that you actually don't have to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Just make sure you stay hydrated. As for the soda, I haven't had one in over a year. How I did that was by getting the sparkling flavored water from walmart, the carbonation really helped to keep from drinking soda again. I hope this helps.

I drink the flavored water from hy-vee. I have to say the carbonation does really help! Makes you feel like you are drinking pop!