Food Logging The day of or the day before

Options

Replies

• chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Because of the nature of my work I preload all the food I pack into my bag and pretty much stick to the planned food. That way I can relax and eat and people around me don't have to know what I am doing
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I always log my breakfast always the night before (except Saturdays). Lunch, I pre-log about half of the time. Dinner, I rarely preplan just because it's harder to figure out what to make. I try to preplan as much as possible.

I do a lot better when I pre-log my meals. When I don't, I tend to not space out my calories correctly and I end up eating too little or too much for the day or not balancing my macros very well and skimping on veggies.

I sometimes will change things if something comes up, I'm not too strict about it, it just helps me to make sure I'm getting what I need and I use it as a guideline.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I prelog if I know I don't have plans.
  • stina1980
    stina1980 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I plan out my meals, so I typically log everything in the morning.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of the two. I have learned (the hard way) that it is better to pre-log because I can then evaluate my exercise for the day or find out just how many calories that cookie or whatever has and then make the decision to eat it or not. When I haven't prelogged, I have often been caught by surprise at the number of calories and then had a hard time fitting it in my day.

For me, prelogging is best unless I am eating things I eat often and know approximately how much my total for the day is going to be.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I log as I stuff my face. The wife tends to plan her stuff out a few days in advance.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I usually do it as I go, but I sometimes pre-log, especially before going out to eat.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I try to do in the morning before I head into work and adjust as I need to. TODAY was bad foodwise for me. Lunch with friends and a sneaky co-worker selling chocolate covered almonds for her child at work...all sent me over! I do better if I pre-log in the am though.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log as much as possible. It helps me determine if I can have a treat.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I mostly pre log at night the next day's meals. Sometimes I don't know what will happen for dinner, so I leave that blank. but the rest of it I know ahead of time, and try not to deviate from the plan. Pre logging for me prevents over eating during the day.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Log at the end of the day and then its a surprise what is left over... seriously I log nothing until just before dinner.
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I pre-log in the morning [2am-ish]. I go to bed, wake up and there's no need to think about anything.
    I only have to amend a few things if someone's eaten the fruit I wanted or chicken I was planning to have.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I log in the morning with as much info/planning as I can get at the time. Things change, so I always edit usually unless my planning is 100%. Sometimes I make last minute additions, sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese, a cup of rice, a side salad, etc, so I go back and add it while I'm letting my food cool down or finish cooking. I always try to log BEFORE I actually eat the food, just in case I need to make a quick change.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I will log dinner in the morning when I'm taking out whatever needs defrosting for dinner. I eat the same thing for breakfast 99% of the time so that's easy. I like that so when the afternoon munchies come around I know how much I have to work with, if anything. And tells me that I'd better get my exercise burn too.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I log at a day in advance. It allows me to micro manage my macros.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I used to log as I go but in the last couple days, I've been pre-logging in the morning. Super helpful and that way if I splurge (like I did today...dang cookies & cream hershey kisses) I know that I am not going over and don't have to sacrifice my dinners
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I log as I go with the exception of my morning coffee and my vitamins/medicine. Those I know I have every day so I log them the night before. :)

Sometimes I'll log my dinner before I start making it, but I find most of the time if I log ahead I end up having to change something or forget something.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I always log as I go but I've never thought of pre-logging. I meal plan so I always know what's on the menu for dinner and pretty much eat the same breakfast every day. Lunches and snacks vary. I'm going to have to consider pre-logging!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    When I eat at home, I log as I weigh it. If I eat out, I pre-log so I can be sure what I'm doing. Sometimes I pre-log dinner before I start cooking to make sure that I have room for everything on the menu, and if I have lots of room left, then I start thinking about dessert.
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    I log after everything I eat. This keeps me accountable. I know if I eat it, I have to log it so that helps me to think twice about putting it in my mouth, lol.

I'm exactly the same, it makes me think....Do I really need this! :smile: