Couch Potato (28/F) with Spotty Logins Looking for Friends!!

Options
Hi everyone! I hope I'm doing this right. I'm new here and have been logging in very intermittently since I joined at the beginning of the year. However, I have been going to the gym regularly this month - the first time in my ENTIRE life - and I just don't want to lose the motivation. That's why I am here looking for friends to keep me accountable - essentially keep me coming back to MyFitnessPal! I have a friend who has so far had great results using this website, and that encouraged me to post this in hopes of finding others in a situation similar to mine.

I'm a young woman who, before 2013, barely exercised ever since I graduated from high school. I began going to the gym last month in order to tone my upper body and to get ready for a healthy pregnancy. On a very important side note, I realized that a lot of my mood swings stem from the fact that I have a lot of excess energy that needs to be released in a healthy fashion. I've discovered that I feel amazing after going to the gym, and I'm so much more patient in dealing with my husband (who deserves the utmost patience) and other people in my life! I really don't want that to stop.

It also doesn't hurt that I am down a few pounds! I used to weigh around 130 when I barely ate and exercised freshman year of college. At my first job, I clocked in at around 140, 145. In the past year, I hit 150 - my highest weight. Going from a 147-150 to a 144-145 has been a wonderful feeling for me. I know it is not all about weight loss, but I KNOW I am not at my ideal weight. I would like to amp up my cardio and weightlifting so that I fluctuate and can dip under a 140 by the end of this month. That's a healthy approach, right?

If anyone has any advice or other words, please contact me! Especially if you have a similar build/weight/goal. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• JustAGirL29
    Options
    Welcome! :)

I know how you feel, I joined this site at one point because someone had told me about it. I log in for a few days and then quit. Then keep trying and quit again. I lost the motivation and get discouraged.
    If you need any support or motivation, feel free to add me :)

Good luck on your pregnancy! and Congratulations.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? How tall are you? Depending on your height, your weight might be fine. You just may need to build muscle.
  • unbeknownst
    unbeknownst Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks so much!

I just wanted to clarify - I am not pregnant YET. We really want a baby but haven't started trying. I wanted to make sure my body was physically ready. I heard somewhere that you can't do any more exercise than how much you were regularly doing before you got pregnant. That is why I am trying to build up my exercise routines - so I can continue my exercise regimen throughout my pregnancy.

I am between a 5'6 and a 5'7...I'm not sure where exactly, but that's where I am. I have a medium build, I think - I can wrap my middle finger and thumb around my wrist and comfortably touch. Based on what I weighed in college when I wasn't carrying that much extra weight, I think my ideal weight is around 135.

Thanks again!
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So...the way to figure an ideal weight for women (as a general rule) is that you get 100 pounds for your first 5 feet of height and then about 5 pounds for each inch over that. (This is a very general rule, obviously, it does not apply to everyone.)

So...I'm 5'4" and I "should" weight 120 to make that rule work, but I feel like I look better at 125 or 128 - otherwise I lose too much "up top."

Since you're 5'6" or 5'7" then you're about right to shoot for 135.

You can do it! Welcome aboard!